Author Topic: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012  (Read 290682 times)

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012
« Reply #615 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »
As often happens on the 17th we had a low altitude fly by looking to see what we were up to.
He came right over the timing stand did a quick flyover climb and turned to make a second pass.

Larry

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #616 on: September 19, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
Anybody seen Yaccouci?

Yes I talked to Rick yesterday and the day before. He went 4 wheeling Monday and apparently got his truck stuck in a precarious place and was going up to recover the truck as I left around noon yesterday.

Larry
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:53:59 PM by hotrod »

Offline Tman

« Reply #617 on: September 19, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
Anybody seen Yaccouci?

Yes I talked to Rick yesterday and the day before. He went 4 wheeling Monday and apparently got his truck stuck in a precarious place and was going up to recover the truck as I left around noon yesterday.

Larry

Someone reported that they got Rick out of a pickle and he made it back.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #618 on: September 19, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
We're back on the salt for the end of this show.  Rick Y's trucklet is over by Jim Knapp's portable pit (he uses his trailer and takes it with him on runs, usually).  We were on the way in on the paved road when we saw Jim Higgins pulling the Kim and Greg trailer out -- and a few hundred yards behind were K & G in their rental HHR.  Since we just got here I don't know if that means they're done.  Maybe I'll find out.

Over in the Williams/Lamb pit area I heard a bike motor just now, and the generator in Jamie's pit is still running.

Now - I'll ask Mike C. what's what.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #619 on: September 19, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »

We're down to three -- Knapp, Williams, and Lamb.  Williams is changing numbers (again?) to #696.  He'll probably run in a half-hour.  No idea of when Knapp will rung, nor about Lamb.  Maybe I'll post and go ask.

Maybe.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline krusty

« Reply #620 on: September 19, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »
     Ray - Make sure Steve S sees that 1st pic of the white car at speed- he's "flying the nose" and needs to lower the front ride height (if possible).

Slim,Ray, LSE - thanks for the event/coverage. Slim, $$ coming your way.

vic 

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #621 on: September 19, 2012, 01:52:23 PM »
Dean,

Your summaries are a fantastic resource for anyone trying to keep track of what's going on over several days of an event, or even multiple events over several years.  I have also been trying to trace all the 400+ mph runs, and I think your list is missing the third run on Sunday.  See the end of page 18 of this thread.

So by my reckoning SD has 23 runs with the mile average at 400+ plus a further two where the average was below 400 but the exit speed was 400+ mph.  Total is 25, still one short of 26. :-(  Maybe there's another run with 400+ exit speed out there somewhere?

Probably the only other person in double figures is Don Vesco with Turbinator.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #622 on: September 19, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
...and then there were two, sort of.  Al Lamb plans one more run, but that's for the cameras.  He's got a film crew watching and recording him and the common consent is that they want a pretty looking run down the course.

Knapp is heading to town for a little bit.  He does plan to run again, but has a few fixes to do -- including figuring out a way to keep the fuel pump from vapor locking.  It's inconvenient to have the driver, while at speed, get out, remove the back bodywork, and pour cold water on the pump.  That's what they've been doing - the cold water part - at the beginning of runs when the engines won't start.  So he's taking a motel ice bucket (looks like that, at least) and cutting/shaping it to fit under and around the pump.  He'll fill that with ice at the beginning of a run.  He's out of water in his trailer - the pumped tank, at least -- I'm sorta cornfused on that bit of data.  So - he's going to the truckstop to twist that bucket into place and to fill his tank.

Al is about to run, and even though it's that glamour run -- fire and ambulance are moving to their positions.  Post.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #623 on: September 19, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
Lamb AND Williams have left the pit for their runs.  It'll take a few minutes to get down there (starting from the mountain end of the course), so don't let your lunch get cold on my account.  Soon - but not now.

Okey-dokey -- we're a few minutes from Jamie Williams' first run.  He's hoping for a 223 mph pass.  We'll see, won't we?

Engine is started.  Course is clear and secured -- no moving vehicles allowed 'til the run is completed.

Bike 696 is under way.

Entry speed 223.5   kilo   224.6   224.6   exit  225.8

Hey, good -- that's a qualifier.  Once he stops and chats he'll make the decision on whether to go back the other way, but I 'spect he will choose to do so.

Jim Knapp is warming at least one engine in his car.  That's a fine sound -- maybe he'll go run soon.

Al Lamb will run next on that camera shoot run.  Jamie is at full stop, Charlie Hennekam is with him  Post - and I'll start a new one.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:41:04 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #624 on: September 19, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »
Lamb is firing up his bike for the glamour run.  The course is secure and clear.  Jamie Williams is out of the way at (about) the three and a half.

Bike 1979 is underway.  I don't know if they'll time him.  At the eight mile and accelerating.  Through the seven.

Entry speed   162.2   kilo speed   slowing in the measured mile - at about the 5 1/2.  I dunno why he's stopping there.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:45:05 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #625 on: September 19, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »
     Ray - Make sure Steve S sees that 1st pic of the white car at speed- he's "flying the nose" and needs to lower the front ride height (if possible).

Slim,Ray, LSE - thanks for the event/coverage. Slim, $$ coming your way.

vic 

Ok.  Will do.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #626 on: September 19, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
TrickyDicky thanks for the catch. I added the run to the list. It's in the run list for the Shootout, I just missed it on the cut and paste.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #627 on: September 19, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
Hasn't been much happening out here at the timing stand...except for the "Plague of the Flies."  But I have a couple of shots...one of Jamie with his front fairing and Richard Assen's fairing from last year and a shot of Al Lamb going thru the mile with no power because of an oil leak.

Re: Barnyard Bearcat...I've heard that "we used the firetruck's water", presumably because of wet salt building up around the wheels.  That was the reason Jamie's nekkid run was slow.  Apparently there are some wet spots on the course and it's causing some trouble.

Now: Flies.  I'm considering taking a hose and running it from my exhaust into the Burb and running it for 30 minutes or so (with me out of itself, of course.)  Has anyone ever tried this?

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #628 on: September 19, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »
Now: Flies.  I'm considering taking a hose and running it from my exhaust into the Burb and running it for 30 minutes or so (with me out of itself, of course.)  Has anyone ever tried this?

RTR:  Don't do it!  The Burb still stink for months if you do.  I once had to retrieve a car in which a guy had committed suicide.  The smell (from the exhaust, not the guy) was overpowering.

Too bad Smith's ran out of the fly sticks like the one I left in the timing trailer.  Did you see it?  It really worked!
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: September 19, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
As I remember hearing, Jim Knapp wanted water for cooling his fuel pump - and the water tank's pump in the trailer had stopped pumping.  I'll go ask for a clarification, okay?  Are we sorta bored - or what?

Ah-HAH! Here's the true scoop.  On the last run he made, earlier today, a coolant hose blew off and the engines lost coolant.  Upon gaining his trailer pit it was discovered that not only was the fresh water tank empty, but also the pump in that tank had failed.  So now he's been given some (20 gallons or so) fresh water (which isn't 100% - has a bit of bleach in it, says fire guy) to use for replenishing the coolant and some more to spare.

Williams is about to run back on his earlier 223/224 run.  Course is clear and secure.

Jamie is starting his engine on bike # 696 from highway to Floating Island.

Through the three mile, now the four

Entering timed stretch.    Entry speed  217.32   kilo  214   mile 214  exit  209

Slowing at the 7 1/2

Don't think that'll do it, but I'll wait for official arithmetic to confirm my suspicion.  

Well, that proves me wrong.  Jamie Williams has got a new record.  He's done for the Shootout.  Here are the speeds on the record (it's an 1650 APS/AF  AMA record.   The trailing AF stands for "altered fuel")  Previous record was 201 -- and I didn't know that it was as low as that, so therefore my earlier statement about not good enough.

Tower is now computing the averages -- will have 'em soon.

Unofficial averages    Mile  219.347    kilo 219.725

Way to go, Jamie.  He reports that he's never been so sideways in the measured mile before.  Winds were about 4-5 mph crosswind.  Add to that the fact that the course might be getting a bit chewed up after this week's runs.

We're down to one -- Jim Knapp's Barnyard Bearcat.  He's in staging position.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:37:52 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com