Author Topic: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012  (Read 289891 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2012, 02:29:40 AM »
I never heard what happened to the Speed Demon motors at Speedweek.

You know they had to do many full pulls on the dyno.

The Salt Gods determine all.

The first run threw a rod out he side of the block before, or near the first mile.
They loaded the smaller engine and managed a 423 record after all was said and done.

Ray may have some more insight, as to what else transpired; as he is closer to the team.
I was quite busy helping to crew the 3838 Vinson "Vette; and we managed to get Rob
Frey into the "Red Hat" Club on a licensing run.
Jim

You got it pretty straight, Jim...except that they lunched 2 of the "big lumps" in almost exactly the same way...2 runs, two Dart/Duttweiler motors into the trash heap.  People are pretty convinced that it was a component flaw...and the component just happened to be the same in both of the big lumps they brought...so they went back to the 5l motor (299 cid) and bumped their own record (iirc) and in doing so got the Hot Rod trophy for the top speed of the meet.  Not bad when yer "little motor" can blow everyone elses' doors off.

And yes, I'm up in the night with an RLS attack, d*mmit!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2012, 04:19:49 AM »
What a great start thanks to all for the fix!!!

One of the things Mike Cook said in the drivers' meeting was that there had been at least one record set at each of the previous Shootouts.  I couldn't tell if he was giving a pep talk or was worried that they might get "skunked" at this one.  Well, they sure blew that possibility all to Hudson Hornet Hardtop.   :-D  No skunking this trip,  Lessee...2 records from Riceand Vigeant...BEFORE they start tuning and BEFORE the 100 HP NOS shot gets installed.  I think they're gonna get themselves some red hats. 

Then Jamie Williams very quietly went out and blew his class record away.  Way to go, Jamie!  And, Al Lamb blew off his qualifier since he figgers the bike has a lot more in it.  P&M are ready to make a "calibration pass" first thing, then go balls-outwith the 6 liter motor.  To repeat what I've written before, Kenny Duttweiler thinks the 6l (368 CID) motor has 475 mph in it.  We're gettin awful close to that.

Stay tuned.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2012, 05:47:36 AM »
& Doc Jeffers

Yep, & Doc Jeffries.  http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,1270.0.html

Related to this current B'ville GC record:      H   Wendy Jeffries & Dolan   W. Jeffries    8/88    134.611
Mike

I've got about an hour of Jack talking about that car on tape, haven't got it all transcribed yet
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
Well --- get crackin bloke!!! :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline sodbuster

« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2012, 09:42:11 AM »
Sorry for the dumb question, but.........Is there a 'stream' from the salt? I tried to find it to listen to Glen call the runs. I have been working TONS lately and haven't been able to keep up over here lately.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Nelson
Kansas
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »
No live announcing at this meet.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline sodbuster

« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2012, 09:59:14 AM »
Darn. I'm off work for two days in a row and I was hoping to listen to the speeds in the garage. I saw some people on Facebook posting pictures & tried to find the stream.

No live announcing at this meet.

Chris Nelson
Kansas
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »
there will be updates on this site all day, keep refreshing it so you are up to date. wish I was there to do live  but it didn't happen.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2012, 10:27:09 AM »
Slim, any updates this AM?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #189 on: September 16, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.  It's Sunday morning on the salt.  Here's the latest:

Speed Demon, with the 368" C motor, is on the transporter and about to head to the mountain end of the course for the first run of the day.  They'll be running on the World Finals '02 record of Al Teague - Welch - Banks.  406.321 kilo, 405.862 mile.  Thanks to Dave Petrali for that information just now.

Greg Watters went to SLC last night, as I reported, but not for a broken anything.  Rather - they (team) picked up a lady that flew in and needed fetching to the salt, and he also had some work done on reshaping the intercooler water tank so the streamlined tail section will fit when installed.  The team is still looking for ills on Kim's bike - none found as of this morning.  Oh, yes -- on Greg's bike a minor electrical issue has shown up -- in that the ECU is finding a bunch of codes and putting the bike into "limp home" mode.  He'll try a fix during the runs, he says.  He thinks it's 'cause he'l hitting the rev limiter in each gear, and by the time he's to top gear the system decides "that's too many codes in quick succession" and switches to a safe mode.  So -- after once coming to a stop, yesterday, and switching off the engine and restarting (thereby resetting the ECU) - since then he's decided that if he thinks it'll be necessary to reset during a run he'll lift and do a quick switch off-to-on of the kill switch.  Maybe it'll work.

I'll post after telling you that SD is nearly to the mountain end of the course -- predicting a run in 15 minutes or so.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:31 AM »
Good morning Bonneville! 

The speed Demon has just left the pits, heading for the mountain end.  This should be a "calibration run" but ya never know.

Stand by...a run should be made shortly.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2012, 10:39:05 AM »
For the moment, there are some radio issues that may be delaying P&M's run.

Tower sez they'll be locking the course in about 5 minutes.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »
SD  etal  SHOWTIME
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
Nothing new to report from the Lamb and the Williams pits, although I hear someone running an engine over there.  Jim Knapp isn't here yet this morning (Barnyard Bearcat) and the Rice/Vigeant car is being attended.

Ooops -- I looked to the right of our truck - and there's Mr. Knapp, trailer door open.  I'll find out if they'll be able to fix it and run - but not 'til the Speed Demon runs.

57F, calm winds, 36% humidity.  

CB and FM communications snafu in progress - we'll sort it out and get ready to run.  Not locked down -- in a minute or two, though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »
Speed Demon is moving off the truck.  Post and I'll continue.

On course at the 7

entry 425  kilo  428  mile 428

At the four, chute out and slowing, no issues reported

More correcter speeds:

Entry 425   kilo  428.8   mile  428.7   exit  432.3

Car has come to a stop on the tarp in the pits.

Two bikes are about to move up the course to the two or three to prep for their runs.  They'll wait well off the side of the course so George has a very clear track for a return run.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:59:33 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com