Author Topic: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012  (Read 289893 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012
« Reply #510 on: September 18, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
When is the Shoot out over?

There's a meeting scheduled for later today to provide some answers to that.  Originally it was set for 5pm, but that may change.  Stay tuned.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #511 on: September 18, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
Way to go Al!...

Cory... Some of us have more patience than money...

Joe, I thought you had more patients than money  :-D

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #512 on: September 18, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
I've had a minor issue and there's a post that I haven't made -- but in the meantime, Kim's running the engine and about to run.  That post will have lots of sidebar information.  But first -- here goes Kim.  Wind at the tower is 2-4 mph headwind for Kim.

Bike #1379 is Kim Krebs, and she's leaving the start line.  Will stop someplace around the two mile marker.

Bike is at the eight mile and moving along properly.   Through the 7, and now entering the timed stretch   

entry  227.4   kilo  226.9   mile 227.0   exit  226.8
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:38:07 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #513 on: September 18, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »
Stainless,

Will we ever see the Amo Steele Streamliner at this event.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #514 on: September 18, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
Here's the promised post:

Kim Krebs has gone to the course to make a run, but I've got a couple of minutes to catch up.

First of all, Greg Waters was looking in his bike - and found a crack in the header between motor and wastegate.  He's welding so he can get enough exhaust pressure to turn up the boost to see if he can top Al Lamb's speed and record.

Al Lamb, in return, pulled another engine out of the trailer and said something like "Well, now that we've run the mule motor we'll put in this one -- with the good tuneup."  Unh, yeah -- the mule ran 265, let's see what the "good" one will do.

Jim Knapp came over with a couple of items to mention and show.  First of all is the first photo, showing some small metal bits.  He said that on yesterday's run he was showing about 11 psi fuel pressure, so he aborted the run.  He got the car back to the pits and checked out things -- got 60 psi.  So he looked and found these thingies in the fuel tank.  His guess is that they are related to something electrical - appear to be copper or brass and have small hole in one end (to hook up to a wire?) and are slightly concave.  Did they get in the tank through the fuel-filling nozzle at a race event?  He doesn't know -- wants to know if any of you have found anything like this in your vehicles/tanks.

Second photo(s) - two sets of them, probably in separate posts..  Jim wonders if many other racers find this stuff after running at Bonneville.  It's salt (yes, I know that ALL of us find salt in the vehicles after running here).  It's like powdered salt -- much finer grain that table salt, and just about no coarse grain stuff mixed in.  The photos show the fire bottle before I wiped it with a fingertip, and under the driver's chair and on the floor - before the fickle finger of dust, and after.

There -- ever seen the dusty salt?

Next topic:  Kim Krebs is about in position to make her next run - and she radioed in, in an embarrassed tone of voice, that she'd forgot to have her leathers in the support truck.  Would someone please fetch them?

I offered the idea of doing a Rollie Free-dressed run, but was reminded that we don't want a carnival atmosphere at this "family-friendly" event, so -- no scantily-clad racers shall appear here.  Dang.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #515 on: September 18, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »
Second photos -- the floor of the driver's compartment.

While you ponder those I'll tell you what Jim told me about synching the motors.

He doesn't do anything - run 'em any danged way they want to run.

As for the chain drive - he said he had an issue, back in the early days of the car, with keeping the two drive chains properly tensioned.  Since it takes filing and milling and so on to get them changed relative to one another - he removed the solid rear axle (a spool) and sliced it in half.  Right chain now drives right wheel, left drives left.  End of issue.

He's preparing to run -- has reinstalled the bodywork.

With reference to the end of the 2012 Shootout -- it isn't done yet.  Kim, Greg, Al, Jim, and maybe Jamie are still in running condition.  The meet was originally scheduled to run through TOMORROW (Wednesday) afternoon, so if there are still racers that want to make a run -- the meet will not end.

Kim has decided to allow the motor to cool and do some maintenance - then will return run.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:47:53 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #516 on: September 18, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »
I have seen dusty salt inside the car. I think it is from salt on the floor getting ground into dust.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #517 on: September 18, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »
Look like tips off a spade connector. The salt dust is common in most vehicles with any leak point
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #518 on: September 18, 2012, 01:52:03 PM »
Jim, while that makes sense for some of the salt, but it's all over the place - implying there's lots of it - - more than might be expected.  Further research is needed, obviously.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #519 on: September 18, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you but I have always used a funnel with about 5 paint filters to fill my tank out of "any" can or hose even ERC's and I see the filter at the end of the hose on his tanker or 55 gallon drum. Just  precaution I statred back in 1075 at my first Bonneville.

Incidently I have never found any debris in the filters with ERC's gas or new cans of VP which I use for El Mirage or testing................Good Luck.............JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #520 on: September 18, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
Did the fire bottle go off back accident :cheers:?
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #521 on: September 18, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »
Stainless,

Will we ever see the Amo Steele Streamliner at this event.

Tom G.

Well actually we just had some discussions on this yesterday.... And new motor ideas... For a backup plan...

JonAmo
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:56:49 PM by JonAmo »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #522 on: September 18, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »
In 2009 Speed Demon ran 436. Boy you would have thought nothing but up and up.
Speedweek 2010 with the 299ci motor ran 416, 417, 418 exit speeds. Set the "D" record at 404.
Shootout 2010 422 exit speed.
Speedweek 2011 a 421 exit speed.
Then on Shootout 2011 ran 446 and 462 exit speeds with the 362 "C" motor. Put the smaller 299 "D motor and still ran 445.
Came to Speedweek this year and bumped the "D" record to 422.

So we all were expecting 475 this year at the Shootout.
Hey, no slouch runs with 5 runs from 411-449. Looks like a record at 419. 26 runs over 400. Genius.

But, man have there been parts flying everywhere. Broken motors, drive shafts, transmissions . . .
I watch the NASCAR guys running 200 at Talladega wide open, 8,000 rpm for two hours.
George has to keep the throttle down for 1 minute, 10 seconds. That's it.

Ron Main is brilliant and pays for the best engineering money can buy. The Speed Demon is a fantastically engineered car.
It seems so easy when you watch the video of George driving.

But the salt gods speak loud. The amount of horsepower you have to get to the ground to push past 400 is huge.
I'm sure the car would run faster with more space to run. It's a real drag race at that speed.

Pieces and parts are the price you pay when you are pushing into territory that NO ONE has been before.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #523 on: September 18, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
I am wondering about the split rear wheel drive on Knapps car. what happens if a chain breaks on one drive wheel. will it steer it?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #524 on: September 18, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
Humility follows early success and then a flat line performance following the initial joy.

Sometimes our best just comes up short. Money helps but it guarantees nothing.

Records hold your nose to the grind stone.

FREUD
Since '63