Author Topic: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012  (Read 289880 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012
« Reply #570 on: September 18, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
Ray...gotta add something on the Rice Brothers. No doubt brothers in the same car but probably first time at the same meet.

Brothers Ed and Glenn Carter got in 78 & 79 in the same car. Clay and Garrett Goldman in 2009 & 2010 same roadster. I think the Langlos and there are probably others....................JD

I think I was trying to say that about the same meet...but obviously it didn't come across very well...so thanks for the clarification.  In any case, the Rice brothers did some pretty cool stuff, including redesigning and rewiring the relays that control the nitrous on the spot.  They earned their hats.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #571 on: September 19, 2012, 12:07:58 AM »
One last post.  Jim Knapp was basically rebuilding his car on the side of the road across from Mike Crawford's parts store.  He was dealing with a shaft that had just a little bit of a twist in it, as well as the real problem his lakester came to a stop, the fuel pump.  I got caught up in visiting, not only with Jim but with Mike "don't call me Mamie" Van Doren and then my cell phone rang.  I ended up going back to Land's End to pick up Lynda so we could have a birthday dinner for Pork Pie.  It made for a long, but enjoyably social evening.

I sure hope that Jim does as he discussed and gets to go shopping for a new wardrobe to match a blue hat.

Ohh...one last thing.  Someone wondered how his car would handle if one of the drive chains broke...so I asked him.  He said it had happened and it felt like the clutches on all 3 engines were slipping.  Nothing dramatic, just felt weird.  

More in the morning.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #572 on: September 19, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »
... springs from a telescoping magnet pick up tool...
Definitely. Also telescoping inspection mirror.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #573 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:21 AM »
That post was awesome Ray, I learned something that is important. Thank You Again :cheers:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #574 on: September 19, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »
Ray...gotta add something on the Rice Brothers. No doubt brothers in the same car but probably first time at the same meet.

Brothers Ed and Glenn Carter got in 78 & 79 in the same car. Clay and Garrett Goldman in 2009 & 2010 same roadster. I think the Langlos and there are probably others....................JD

Both the Barbee's got in in 2000 and Barry & Gary Bryant got in in 2002.  Program only shows year, not month so maybe not same event?  Trivial I know, but worth mentioning.

Awesome coverage BTW.  Wish I was there but this gets me by.  Thanks guys! 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:58:17 AM by NathanStewart »
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline BearCat

• BearCat
  • New folks
  • El Mirage, 1st Run, 5/5/07
« Reply #575 on: September 19, 2012, 01:19:50 AM »
Ray the Rat -- The Barnyard Bearcat is a Streamliner, not a Lakester.  I'm sure that was just a slip of the typing fingers.  Jim and trusty mechanic Mike Van Doran were wrenching away on the Bearcat from late afternoon well into the night, while I did light duty washing and folding clothes and picking up Mexican food for the boys for dinner.  We're hoping for an early run Wed. morning, over 300 mph, then - fingers crossed - another 300 mph run for the Blue Hat.  What a terrific meet this has been!
252.670 mph record  Bonneville 8/19/10

Offline RansomT

« Reply #576 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:38 AM »
I am wondering about the split rear wheel drive on Knapps car. what happens if a chain breaks on one drive wheel. will it steer it?
Rear wheel centers are about 12" apart. Outside of car IIRC is 22" wide. I don't think one spinning, one not would produce much turning force.

Even if they weren't that close, it wouldn't turn the vehicle all that much.  I drove a many big block 60s muscle cars that were only push by one rear wheel. For those who wonder, the ground is the common factor on keeping the engines running together.

Offline BearCat

• BearCat
  • New folks
  • El Mirage, 1st Run, 5/5/07
« Reply #577 on: September 19, 2012, 08:03:28 AM »
Hey, folks,
Thanks so much for all the posts.  Got a LOT on my mind right now so will keep this short.  I promise to fill you all in later.  But I have to give a BIG thank you to Jellybean!  I slept a LOT better last night after seeing your "diagnosis", THANKYOUVERYMUCH.

Jim (two motors are for sissies) Knapp
252.670 mph record  Bonneville 8/19/10

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #578 on: September 19, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »
YeP!!! he has them "chained in there like galley slaves "
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #579 on: September 19, 2012, 08:24:08 AM »
Ray the Rat -- The Barnyard Bearcat is a Streamliner, not a Lakester.  I'm sure that was just a slip of the typing fingers.  Jim and trusty mechanic Mike Van Doran were wrenching away on the Bearcat from late afternoon well into the night, while I did light duty washing and folding clothes and picking up Mexican food for the boys for dinner.  We're hoping for an early run Wed. morning, over 300 mph, then - fingers crossed - another 300 mph run for the Blue Hat.  What a terrific meet this has been!

Yes, you're right.  It was a brain fart.  I was pretty close to asleep when I wrote that.  Thank you for keeping me straight.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #580 on: September 19, 2012, 08:38:06 AM »
That post was awesome Ray, I learned something that is important. Thank You Again :cheers:

That's a bit cryptic, Craig...but I'm glad ya learned something.  This entire season has been yet another steep learning curve for me.  I hope to keep learning til they scatter my ashes on the salt.

I'm gonna add 2 photos of "Camaro Steve" Strupp in a (guess what?) 68 Camaro on a very nice pass thru the timed mile and then just after he "hung the laundry out."  I'm hoping he gets a coupla good runs today, just as I hope Jim, Jamie, Al, Greg and maybe Kim do.

I gotta split,

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #581 on: September 19, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
Hey, folks,
Thanks so much for all the posts.  Got a LOT on my mind right now so will keep this short.  I promise to fill you all in later.  But I have to give a BIG thank you to Jellybean!  I slept a LOT better last night after seeing your "diagnosis", THANKYOUVERYMUCH.

Jim (two motors are for sissies) Knapp

Jim, Mike, and Jeanne:
I wish I didn't have to leave yesterday.  I would have preferred staying there to watch you run today over coming home to go back to work!

Regardless of today's runs, you've already got a World Record, and some serious bragging rights! Who else can say they broke Speed Demon's record?   

I'll have one finger on the refresh button, and two others crossed, hoping that you add some azure headgear to your collection!

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #582 on: September 19, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »
Good morning, Bonneville and all the ships at sea.  We're here, waiting for Jamie Williams to make his first -- and the event's first -- run of the day.  He and the Australian duo with Jim for some American representation, are staged at the mountain end of the course.  Jamie, Greg, and Kim will run this morning.  Al Lamb was (repeat was) planning on making a run or two with his new motor, but he and his crew have heard a knock in the engine -- so they ain't a-gonna run at least 'til they find that sound's source.

Jim Knapp is in his chosen starting location and waiting for the bikes to run.  He followed us onto the salt -- don't know how far from ready his car is.  (Wow, BAD sentence structure.  I apologise).

And that's a list of who is left at the 2012 Cook Land Speed Enterprises Top Speed Shootout.  I sure am glad I don't have to type that entire name in here often.  I do it now and then so that newcomers to this thread know the full name and know to which event we're all referring. 

Post.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #583 on: September 19, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »
Good morning everyone, have a fast and safe day. Thanks for all you are doing. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #584 on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »
Greg Waters just made an aborted run.  The word is that he thinks it's a quick fix (no, I don't know what happened other than he stopped before getting to the lights), so don't go too far.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com