Author Topic: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012  (Read 289921 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012
« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »
We're down for a few minutes for the Rice Brothers to fiddle with the clocks.  They've changed stuff and now have finished testing.  Remember -- since they are running their car -- the USAC clocks need to be used.

R/V car is running now and about to run.  Post and get back to me.

R/V car is through the three mile, past the four mile, approaching the timed stretch.

Entry speed    200.333   kilo   205.4   mile 205.09   exit  208.8  

Jim, I think there's some faulty labeling going on at the mfr. of the wind meter.  The box and the instructions clearly say "battery not included", but there is a battery in it.  Best guess is that for reasons of safety/shipping rules they label it "no battery" but have one in there anyway.  Whatever -- the unit works.  Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:21:11 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tybeeman

« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »
Slim, you make this fun! I have a sound clip of the SD to play for effect. Thank you!

Offline hutchamatic

« Reply #362 on: September 17, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
The 419 yesterday was with the D motor. The return run will push it out-of-sight!

The D engine did not make a back up run. The C engine has been in since the head got burned. 
Team Speed Demon

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #363 on: September 17, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
Did that run R/V qualify them to back up run? :cheers:
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: September 17, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »
Yeah, the D motor head -- I'd put that outa mymind for a while.  It went to SLC over the weekend for welding up the burn and re-machining the O-ring groove.  It had been expected to arrive back here . . . just about now.  I'll mosey over there sooner or later and find out the status of that head.

Rice Vigeant is doing the turnaround at the north end of the track, and forecasting nearly 40 minutes or so before they return run.  They want to cool the motor as much as they can.  They didn't pull the chute -- just want to let things cool.  They sprayed it, remember, and that warms the system.  By the way, Jim Knapp has asked that I give him credit for lending the R/V car the nitrous bottle that was used on the run.

Jim say he'll finish prepping his car and be ready to run within an hour -- right after E/V returns.  Knapp still has to fiddle with a bit of data and lube the chains and finish installing the body.

Williams, Lamb, electric bike, and Greg Waters will be ready in an hour and a half or so.  Kim's bike isn't back together yet - might not be by that 1 1/2 hour - but she'll run if it's ready, too.

Break time for Nancy and me.  I'll drink another Monster so I can type fast duriing all of these upcoming runs.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: September 17, 2012, 01:39:17 PM »
37 minutes remaining in the R/V car window.  Driver is getting in the car -- will lock down the course in about a minute in advance of his run.

Engine is running, canopy is closed.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:43:07 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: September 17, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »
I had a glitch -- couldn't finish the R/V run.  Here are the speeds:

Entry 197   kilo  203.9    mile 203.1

Averages:   Kilo   204.69   mile 204.13

Pending certification that'll be a new record -- and that's also a red hat for Alan, pending certification, per Dan Warner.

Congratulations to the Rice-Vigeant team.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:06:51 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ivan S

• New folks
« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »
astounding performance from P&M - jaw dropping... almost getting blasé about 400 mph+ runs  :-o - that's a compliment and a sign of how good they are

thanks for the reporting SSS & RtR

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
Man, you have to love technology sometimes. I was afraid that I would miss all of the action this week, but thanks to all of the great reporting, Wifi and my iPhone, I am able to keep up with all of the action as I type this high above America on my flight to Germany.

Thanks for all of your work out there on the salt guys and go really fast to all of the racers.

Offline joea

« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »
So is SD going to turn up the boost..?..

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #370 on: September 17, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »
Congrats R/V!  :cheers:
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #371 on: September 17, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
Jon, regarding your e mail I was out getting parts for the 444 liner, but seems like everything is coming thru on my end.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #372 on: September 17, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »
I had a glitch -- couldn't finish the R/V run.  Here are the speeds:

Entry 197   kilo  203.9    mile 203.1

Averages:   Kilo   204.69   mile 204.13

Pending certification that'll be a new record -- and that's also a red hat for Alan, pending certification, per Dan Warner.

Congratulations to the Rice-Vigeant team.

I thought James was driving
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: September 17, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »
No, they'll pull the D motor and switch to the little 4-banger.  The transmission is getting weak, they feel -- insufficient oil in one or two gears.  Since they're already hurt one trans - this is the only working one remaining for the big motor.  But - the little engine has a different tranny and different driveshaft, so that'll be the next bullet in the chamber, so to speak.

Ray has photos, I've got some of the story about the SD return run a little while ago.  Evidently there was a fault in the program for the boost controller is one gear or two- - -and both rear tires look like he** - - all shredded up.  Now Nate Jones says they'd still be okay for 200 mph -- but I don't think I'd want Nancy to drive a car usig them.  Wait'll you see the photos.

The bikers across the way are planning on running next, maybe after Jim Knapp -- but nobody will run 'til at least 1.30 local time 'cause fire and ambulance have been released to go for lunch.

Kim's bike is ready to run - having the battery charged while they eat.  Greg is ready, too.  Lamb and Williams are ready.

PS  Thanks, Glen.  Whatever it was has cleared itself.  In case, though -- a while ago I was getting a "server error" message whenever I tried to post.  Did any of you get that?
Big (?) excitement at Land's End a little while ago.  We heard the ambulance get called to LE - and thought that maybe Lynda had found a cranky spectator that wouldn't turn around, wouldn't follow her instructions - - so she sucker-punched him.  Nah, darn it -- it was a spectator having a heart attack.  I have no further details.

Sorta wish it had been Lynda -- the story would make for much improved behavior  by racers entering and leaving the salt :evil:

It's 10 'til 1 out here.  Maybe we'll find lunch.  I hear Al Lamb is serving grilled chicken on a bun.  Wonder what the Speed Demon team meal is today. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #374 on: September 17, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »

PS  Thanks, Glen.  Whatever it was has cleared itself.  In case, though -- a while ago I was getting a "server error" message whenever I tried to post.  Did any of you get that?

Only about 1 in 3 times that I try to post.  It always works, eventually [shrug].

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!