Author Topic: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012  (Read 289897 times)

Offline jellybean

• New folks
Re: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012
« Reply #540 on: September 18, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »
those parts look like friction springs from a telescoping magnet pick up tool  :?

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #541 on: September 18, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »

The "hole" on the end is a dimple. They look like they were on the end of a 1/2" dia. rod. The end away from the dimple is rolled over to give a radius to the end. The dimple was to attach it. Unless the other side has solder marks I doubt if they were electrical, more like the protective end of something.

That really looks like part of an ignition switch from what I remember...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #542 on: September 18, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
Electric bike final run and averages:

Entry   102.93   kilo  103.38   mile  102.80  last run.

Good run.  And then the fun part for Brandon Miller:

Mile   101.652   kilo  102.281

Those are his record average speeds.  He's now pushed the electric bike record speed over 100 -- and it was in the low 60s when the event started.  More fun for him:  I hear that he's a privateer.  He brought his bike - that he uses on the street - and other than fiddlin' on it with his laptop he didn't modify it.  That's a fine way to race - setting records on a stocker.

Jim Knapp will turnaround and run mountain end to pits as soon as he can get it ready.  We'll stay up here (at the tower) for that run, even though it means that our lunch at the Speed Demon pit will be cold by the time we get there.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #543 on: September 18, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
Did the Speed Demon set 2 records, class 9 and 10 or set 1 record twice? Been hard to keep up at work.....

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #544 on: September 18, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »
COME ON Barnyard/Bearcat go for that Blue Hat!!!!!!! , 300 on 3 liters N/A or is that 3-1liters and a bunch of chain.
Your San Diego mates are pulling for You!!!!
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #545 on: September 18, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
Jim Knapp, in the Barnyard Bearcat car #1690, is about ready to make his return run.  Remember that the first run was over 300, so there's no doubt that he wants this one to be at least there - so he gets that Blue hat as well as a record over 300.  No, I don't know if there's a minimum in his SCTA class -- just guessing and postulating about the hat.

Course is locked down and clear.  Wind is 4 mph from highway towards pass.  Driver is requesting that the tower turn the wind to north-to-south and kick it up a bit :roll:.

29 min 40 second remain in Knapp's 1-hour turnaround window.

Knapp getting assurances that course is secure -- but since it's been ten minutes since he last asked -- I won't say that his run is about to being any second!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:22:48 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #546 on: September 18, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »
While we're waiting for Jim Knapp to make his return run, here are a few more photos.

A couple of Jamie Williams' bike while on the trailer.

The Speed Demon on its way back to the pits after the "cataclysmic failure" and

The Bearcat in its pits/trailer just before leaving for the 300+ run.  Way to go, guys!

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #547 on: September 18, 2012, 03:17:16 PM »
There is no SCTA equivalent to Knapp's class - at FIA, there's no separation beween fuel and gas, just blown/unblown.
I seem to remember that he's running on one of Ron Main's old FIA records, 245 and change I think it was.

The SCTA records for F/Streamliner are both below 300mph, by the way.

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #548 on: September 18, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »
Speed Demon set two records in class 10. 419 on Sunday and bumped it to 439 on Monday.
Jim Knapp's Barnyard Bearcat is running in Class A-II-8 on Speed Demon's 250 mph record.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:24:28 PM by Dean Los Angeles »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #549 on: September 18, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
Closing the canopy now and should be running in 30 seconds.  Had problem starting - maybe vapor lock.  Engines now running.

Once again we'll be out of the truck to watch him run past us (we're at the timing tower).  Reports will be tardy.

He's under way.  
Crud -- into the measured mile at 160 and slowing.  We're eading to the pits and so is the Bearcat.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:29:01 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #550 on: September 18, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »
well a real bummer. Hope it's something that can be fixed and two more good runs get done.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #551 on: September 18, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »
must be something wrong on Jon's end it won't re fresh. tried on two computers , looks like they are on lunch break right now so we will wait for updates from Jon or Ray
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:55:41 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #552 on: September 18, 2012, 04:30:47 PM »
We've been in a informal awards ceremony.  Since several teams are on their way home this afternoon, the decision was made to get everyone together now, rather than only a few folks at the bitter end.

I'm just including a photo of the LSE crew and George Poteet (now the fastest piston-powered man) and I'll add some other photos in a bit.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #553 on: September 18, 2012, 04:47:37 PM »
I like "Jellybeans" response to those copper pieces. I've pulled one of those telescoping magnets apart a long time ago and that's what I remember the "drag" on the telescope having between the two shafts. Could not return it to work properly so I kept the magnetic end and junked the shafts.......JD 
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #554 on: September 18, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »
Lunch break is over.  We had an impromptu award ceremony/goodbye luncheon (is luncheon the correct word for a bunch of styrofoam boxes, each laden with an enchilada/beans/rice dinner from the truckstop?).  Since some of the entrants at this event were leaving this afternoon - it was decided (at George's suggestion) to hand out some timing awards and do some thanking for all the fun we've had.  Rice/Vigeant is packing to leave, as is Speed Demon, Brandon Miller (electric bike) and perhaps Jamie Williams.  Greg, Kim, and Jim are staying over for the rest of today and tomorrow, Al Lamb isn't finished yet.  Rick Yacoucci just arrived - and there's a story to that.  He's been here for a few days, but yesterday went out into the boonies north and west of the salt.  I guess (it's only hearsay at this point) that he found a road that let him get in - but not back out.  At the last I heard he was hung up with a front tire not touching and the rear of the car hanging off the edge of a 300-foot dropoff.  The car got left there last night when the Rice Brothers went out and found him, and so when I saw him drive in just now -- it was a pleasant surprise.  I won't ask (maybe I won't) how much it cost to get helped out of the mess in which he was.

Well, well.  Thanks, Ray.  I won't post the shots I took at the lunch after all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com