Author Topic: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012  (Read 292247 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012
« Reply #660 on: September 19, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »
Might be faster if you turned the hat around.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #661 on: September 19, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »
Back home already.  Uneventful drive.  Now I just need to find a way to get my Burb unloaded without bringing the flies into the house.  Yuck!

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #662 on: September 19, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
Ray, there's something about living in SLC.  Like no 21 hour drive home.  I think one of the flies made it all the way past Denver with me.  I'm certainly glad you and the Canons are willing to sacrifice a few flies for the coverage.  See you at WF.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #663 on: September 19, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
THANKS to all.

Ray C Wheeler
Ray C Wheeler

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #664 on: September 19, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »
Ray, there's something about living in SLC.  Like no 21 hour drive home.  I think one of the flies made it all the way past Denver with me.  I'm certainly glad you and the Canons are willing to sacrifice a few flies for the coverage.  See you at WF.

I just made a "blood sacrifice."  I took my cameras and computer outta the Burb, sprayed the interior with flying insect killer, rolled up the windoze and closed the doors.  It's sitting in my driveway in the sun.  I'm hoping that it'll be inhabitable by tomorrow when I take it in to get it washed. 

I didn't have any camera casualties whilst at the Shootout.  I'm very grateful for that.  My 40D died sometime between WoS and leaving again.  Since I've been using PP's 5D (in addition to my 7D), I've become quite comfortable with it.  I may end up buying it from him.  It'd be a lot less expensive than the new 6D.

Irony.  My older son parked his Nissan 350Z in my garage while I was gone.  He and his wife went in vacation and took her car and my neighbor and kids noticed it.  She told me that they REALLY like my "new car."  I had to 'splain to her that it wasn't mine and I was resisting the temptation to take it out for a joyride.  She didn't seem to understand when I said, "can you imagine the headline?  Old fart arrested for joyriding in son's sports car."  It's wonna them things that if ya gotta 'splain it, they wouldn't understand.  :)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #665 on: September 19, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »
Thank you everyone for the blow by blow.  $ on the way.
Yes, yes.  Paypal love on the way!

We thank you for the Paypal love.  I was a bit concerned when I saw my photo re-posted, but ya done right.  Enjoy the photos and commentary from the previous events.  I'll make a blatant, self-promoting effort and add the following links to my own site for further photos:

2008:  http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2008/shootout/Welcome.html
2009:  http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2009/shootout/Welcome.html
2010:  http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/shootout/Welcome.html
2011:  http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2011/04-shootout/Welcome.html

Man!  I can't bleeve that it's been 5 years.  That's unreal.

C ya at WF.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #666 on: September 19, 2012, 07:59:10 PM »
Either that or hold your breath while you take the burb to the car wash.

I have been reviewing some test video clips I took with a go-pro camera and it is sort of amusing to see the periodic strafing runs the flies made across the screen.
I got rid of most of the flies by the time I got to Rollins Wyoming (I think). We will know tomorrow when I start running errands and see if any of the little critters come out of their hiding places to bounce off the windows.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #667 on: September 19, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen Good show.
Paypal pay in.
Richard
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #668 on: September 19, 2012, 09:52:14 PM »
Ray, glad you made it home safely. Be careful, cause those fly's like to fly in formation and attack mode. Thanks for all the hard work you put in here on this site. You are a true gentleman and i am sure that all you do is appreciated by everyone. Take care and have a relaxing weekend. Mark.

Electric Cowboy

« Reply #669 on: September 19, 2012, 11:07:45 PM »
What an awesome event! I'm hooked! :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #670 on: September 19, 2012, 11:10:41 PM »
Thanks to all who were there and Dean.  Good job.  This coverage is is always a highlight of the year.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #671 on: September 19, 2012, 11:23:15 PM »
If you think it was fun to run the measured stretch on our pit bike -- you missed the really cool part:  On the way to the start I came up on the Speed Demon being pushed along, slowly, for a glamour video shot.  I couldn't resist - it was probably my only chance ever to pass, while riding on a bike that goes 30 mph or so flat out -- to pass a car that's been clocked over 450!  Yee-HAAWWW! :cheers:

We're in Rock Springs, Wyoming, tonight.  We murdered six or eight flies on the way here, and released another bunch of them to the wild - and still have at least one in the truck.  They act sorta like they're in the military reserves -- they stay out of sight and only go out on patrol when the number of flies then active gets below a certain minimum.  If they all showed up at once it'd be overwhelming.

Finally - thanks for the donations, ladies and gentlemen.  It sure lets us know that what we do at the Shootout - and other events - is well-liked.  And that's the reason why I keep trying to come up with new stuff to give you better and better coverage of the events at Bonneville.  We do have every intention of having not only full streaming audio at WF - but some new stuff on the audio, too.  And yes, I know that we haven't had the same style of coverage for other events, and I'm trying to come up with a reliable method to bring you stuff from the other venues.  Be patient - and enjoy what you can.  Thanks again.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SLCMike

• New folks
« Reply #672 on: September 20, 2012, 09:24:58 AM »
RTR, how long is your son going to be gone?  You could put that 350Z in the 130 club, I'm sure he wouldn't mind...much :evil:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #673 on: September 20, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
RTR, how long is your son going to be gone?  You could put that 350Z in the 130 club, I'm sure he wouldn't mind...much :evil:

He'll be back Sunday.  I've tried to get him to drag his car and carcass out to the salt for the last coupla years.  He has no interest in it.  Yeah, I'm sure his car would do the 130 Club with no problem, but I'm kinda "narrow" in the scope of my goals.  Originally, the goal was to reach 200 mph in a car I built myself.  There's still a chance of that, but for the moment, it's to get the car into the 130 and 150 Clubs.  Then we'll see what happens.  Maybe I can get close to 200 at the Mojave mile with a bit of nitrous.  I'd kinda resigned myself to quit running it as an LSR vehicle when I got to the 150 Club, but Mojave or maybe the Shootout (if I can get someone to sponsor me for the entry fee) would be a good place to see if I can hit that 200 mark.  I sure wouldn't set any records, but it might be fun trying.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #674 on: September 20, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »
Here we are in Narcolepsis, Nebraska, as we keep on going east.  Tomorrow night we'll be in Downers Grove, Illinois, for a family reunion.  Then back to Skandia, Michigan for a few days next week, and then -- after luxuriating at home for darn near three days!!! we get in the truck and head for (guess where) Wendover.  Hey, hey, hey -- here we go again.  But this time we plan to have more for you folks out there - more than we offered for the Shootout.  I'll tell you that story on the new thread I'll start for World Finals.

In the meantime I'm writing this to thank the nine (or so) folks that helped pay for the coverage that we offered for you folks at the 2012 Shootout - by using the Paypal buttons.  I'll name them here - so I don't have to go through and write a bunch of thank you notes.  But I want to thank them very much - and maybe you could offer them your thanks, too, for helping Nancy and me provide the on-the scene reports and information of the event.

Thanks go to:  Bill @ CaliforniaClassix, Jim Kerr, Saltrat, stuff695, gmc6, Louise, nicholsB3, JMaguire2, and mcinroyconstruction.

Other contributions came in before the Shootout, and I'll get a list of those kind folks up on the home page of the website in a day or two.  And a few racers and others made contributions at the Shootout, too.

Thank you to one and all, though -- not just the ladies and gentlemen that sent $$ to the website.  By the simple fact of you looking at the thread about the Shootout -- you each add a good measure of legitimacy to my claim to be running the best website there is for land speed racing.  Thank you very much.  I sure enjoy running the site for you -- and you've shown me that you enjoy having it available.

Thanks one more time, and one more time (at least one more) -- the Paypal button is always available when you feel like helping keep this site going.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com