Author Topic: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012  (Read 289927 times)

Offline Freud

Re: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012
« Reply #555 on: September 18, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
Timing slip guy call my cell.
Since '63

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #556 on: September 18, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »
Lunch break is over.  We had an impromptu award ceremony/goodbye luncheon (is luncheon the correct word for a bunch of styrofoam boxes, each laden with an enchilada/beans/rice dinner from the truckstop?).  Since some of the entrants at this event were leaving this afternoon - it was decided (at George's suggestion) to hand out some timing awards and do some thanking for all the fun we've had.  Rice/Vigeant is packing to leave, as is Speed Demon, Brandon Miller (electric bike) and perhaps Jamie Williams.  Greg, Kim, and Jim are staying over for the rest of today and tomorrow, Al Lamb isn't finished yet.  Rick Yacoucci just arrived - and there's a story to that.  He's been here for a few days, but yesterday went out into the boonies north and west of the salt.  I guess (it's only hearsay at this point) that he found a road that let him get in - but not back out.  At the last I heard he was hung up with a front tire not touching and the rear of the car hanging off the edge of a 300-foot dropoff.  The car got left there last night when the Rice Brothers went out and found him, and so when I saw him drive in just now -- it was a pleasant surprise.  I won't ask (maybe I won't) how much it cost to get helped out of the mess in which he was.

Well, well.  Thanks, Ray.  I won't post the shots I took at the lunch after all.

Can't wait to hear this story... :-D

Offline Freud

« Reply #557 on: September 18, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »
superleggera get back to work.

Or better yet, start that new piece.

Buga, You is hooked.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #558 on: September 18, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »
Photos from the "awards" gathering:

Dan Warner gives Red Hats to Alan and James Rice.  First time for two brothers in the same car to be inducted into the 2 Club.

George Poteet gets his certificate for being the "fastest man on pistons" from Dave Petrali of USAC/FIA.

Charlie Hennekem of the FIM and Drew Gatewood of AMA congratulate Brandon ("Sparky") Miller for raising the electric bike record from 60-something to over 100 mph.

The same two officials give a certificate to Al Lamb who really kicked some butt with a 1000cc bike.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:34:34 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #559 on: September 18, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »
Four more awards photos.

Jamie Williams for running just under 210 while naked...or something like that.

Greg Watters and his certificate (Speed around 250 out of 1400cc)

The fastest Australian woman on 2 wheels, Kim Krebs, gets her award.  She was the only one to give Charley a hug...I think this was a good thing.

And Jim Knapp gets a cert for the record, but he's not done yet.  We hope for a blue hat.

SSS, if you wanna make speed or factual corrections to these, go for it. I'm pretty much going by memory...and we know how great my memory is.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #560 on: September 18, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
No corrections at this time, Ray, and that's a good thing.  I will, however, tell everyone that we're on a break for a couple of hours.  Some teams have left, and some haven't -- but we're on hold with the fire and ambulance having been sent to town 'til 5.30 this afternoon.  By then it's hoped that Greg Waters will be ready to run, and Steve Strupp wants to make some more passes in the Camaros.  Jim Knapp had something go wrong on the last run -- remember?  He went 150 on the return run after a 300+ on the down run.  He's gone to town with the car and plans to wrench on it in the lot of Mike Crawford's shop (Carquest) in case he needs parts.  He'll be back to run in the morning.

The story around here is that Al Lamb has completed the engine swap but won't run 'til Greg has completed one set - so Al knows how high he needs to set his target/twist the boost controller - to get the record back after Greg (hopefully) takes it from him.

Nah, we ain't done yet.  5.30 MDT this afternoon, you hear?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #561 on: September 18, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »
I'm back home in Boise after leaving the Salt late morning.  I suppose I picked a pretty good time to pull the plug, but wish I could have stayed to see how Jim, Kim, and Greg do.

I remember Cook talking at the drivers' meeting about not wanting to get skunked (no records set) at this meet.  But I believe that everybody got a record.  Is that correct?

------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Dr. Spin

• New folks
« Reply #562 on: September 18, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »
Just got a phone call that said that Greg Watters was headed to to make a run..... are we still on the air ???
200MPH Club X2, Dry Lakes Racing Hall of Fame, Inspector (Car), Past VP SCTA

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #563 on: September 18, 2012, 07:34:07 PM »
Waiting for SSS update
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #564 on: September 18, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »
 More after I report on the Barnyard Bearcat that's about to run.

Engine is running, car will start about the 1 1/2.  Nancy and I are at the timing stand to see Jim go by at full steam - so the times will be just a bit delayed.  We get to watch for a change! :-D :-D

First of all, Knapp just ran through the lights at 302 kilo, 301 mile.  I'll get exact figures in a while.  But wow, what a whoooosh!  Fun -- wish I'd seen more runs.

Entry   297.94     Kilo  302.04     mile   301.88    exit  305.40

That'll do, won't it?  Oughta get him his unlimited license.  Now - a quick return run.  He didn't use his chute, I hear, and I'll guess it's to make the turnaround quicker.

Damn, that makes me proud. Nice going Jim! Hope you find the problem and can back it up tomorrow!> :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #565 on: September 18, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
Okay, okay, so Nancy and I went to the timing stand to watch a few runs -- and I didn't post.  Sorry.

First of all, we're done for the day.

Second:  Jamie Williams made a run and went about 208, trying to up his 210 number from earlier in this meet.  That 208 was because -- when they took the bodywork off the bike this time they did not remember to re-gear to match the slightly higher drag of the naked bike.  FIM rules don't allow gear ratio changes between runs, so he quit for the day.

Jim Knapp made a run earlier but headed to town with the car, as I said.  He was across the street from Carquest as we got to town just now - talking with Ray Therat.  I think Ray might tell us if and when Jim will be at the track tomorrow.
Waters made a run after putting the bodywork on the bike, but the motor wasn't happy during the run.  We were at timing, remember, and while his run was a bit above 240 - - it wasn't the 265+ that he wanted.  The motor was shooting ducks now and then as he went through the lights.  He went back to the pit to check and farkle. 

Kim did not run again.

Al did not run, as forecast.  He was waiting to run the newly-installed brand-new engine, but didn't want to run 'til after he found out how fast Greg would go.  Greg's run wasn't good, so Al sat out this afternoon's dance.

Those are who's left - Greg, Al, Jamie, Kim, and Jim.  I don't know if Kim plans to run tomorrow morning, but the other three bikes want to run for sure, for sure.  Our call is to be on site and ready to do course duty at 7.30 AM.  Ishta, but we'll do it.  Tomorrow is the last day of this event, so get ready for your last Shootout fix of the year.

Later. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #566 on: September 18, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »
This has been an absolutely amazing event. Thanks to All for putting it on, running in it or telling us and showing us how the event is going in real time!!!!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #567 on: September 18, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »
Thanks to all  what a meet man of man
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #568 on: September 18, 2012, 10:33:52 PM »
Thanks to all  what a meet man of man

And a woman  :cheers:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #569 on: September 18, 2012, 11:43:05 PM »
Ray...gotta add something on the Rice Brothers. No doubt brothers in the same car but probably first time at the same meet.

Brothers Ed and Glenn Carter got in 78 & 79 in the same car. Clay and Garrett Goldman in 2009 & 2010 same roadster. I think the Langlos and there are probably others....................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro