Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3274074 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #3795 on: March 29, 2014, 08:10:30 PM »
MM;

That Moroso bracket looks awfully thin; are you sure it won't flex under belt tension?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Fair question, Neil.  Here's what I know about it.

They use them on SB Chevys a lot, driving a pump that requires a lot more power than the water sprinkler in the Midget.

It's .120 thick, and the draw, if I get the pull right, should be almost parallel to the face - one other reason I don't want to move the drive pulley too far out on the motor shaft.  If I don't draw the belt up too tight, and can locate the rest of the bracket in a wider triangulation, I think I can quote Alfred E. Neuman . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3796 on: March 29, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »
Fordboy -

Just a quick info dump -

From the top of the piston to the top of the compression ring groove is .205.

The thickness of the piston head is .220.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3797 on: March 29, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »
MM;

That Moroso bracket looks awfully thin; are you sure it won't flex under belt tension?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Fair question, Neil.  Here's what I know about it.

They use them on SB Chevys a lot, driving a pump that requires a lot more power than the water sprinkler in the Midget.

It's .120 thick, and the draw, if I get the pull right, should be almost parallel to the face - one other reason I don't want to move the drive pulley too far out on the motor shaft.  If I don't draw the belt up too tight, and can locate the rest of the bracket in a wider triangulation, I think I can quote Alfred E. Neuman . . .

What I see as a potential problem is that you have only two bolts attaching it to the standoffs. In a SBC application the plate would be held against a flat surface with 3 bolts.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3798 on: March 29, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
Copy that - yes, the plan is for a third standoff between the adapter and the Moroso bracket.

While two of the bolts to the aluminum adapter go straight through the waterpump into the block, the proposed long bolt will be common to both the adapter and the Moroso plate, passing through the alternator boss on the water pump, and extend back to the alternator attachment on the side of the block.

I'd show that, but those two bosses on the side of the block for the alternator bracket are what I use to hold the engine on the stand. 

Probably would have finished it by now if Bolthaven TruValue stayed open past 5 on Saturdays. 

Well, that, and I just got tired of drilling shit this afternoon.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #3799 on: March 29, 2014, 10:14:12 PM »
Midget:
I agree with Manta22 that the mounting as shown is going to be an awfully wobbly affair when the engine and vehicle start vibrating.  To help minimize that, you might consider making a small saddle to fit on the OD of the butt end of the motor and mount it via a bracket to the long bolt that comes through the water pump boss.  Then clamp the motor to the saddle with a good hose clamp (T-bolt type?).  Belt tension adjustable using shims in the saddle. 

Otherwise, I would be pretty worried about it, regardless of  Alfred’s level of concern.
IO.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3800 on: March 29, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »

Then clamp the motor to the saddle with a good hose clamp (T-bolt type?).  Belt tension adjustable using shims in the saddle. 

Stabilizing both the front and the back of the motor.  IO, that's the right call.

There's not going to be a lot of tension on it, so I'm wondering if it could also let me take it down to a 1" standoff - I'm at 1 1/2" - between the adapter and the Moroso bracket.  Flip the drive pulley, and hang the belt a little farther out on the shaft without bending the Moroso plate.  There is a risk there, but again, there's not a lot of tension on it.

Rather than shims in the saddle, a turnbuckle type affair like Lokar uses on their serpentine belt systems might be something I could whip up.

Yeah - good call.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3801 on: March 30, 2014, 06:05:34 AM »
Fordboy -

Just a quick info dump -

From the top of the piston to the top of the compression ring groove is .205.

The thickness of the piston head is .220.

Some older records I have measured the piston crown thickness @ .180" thick, in the center.   ?

Also need the diameter of the piston top ring land, usually = to about bore dia. -.030".

F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3802 on: March 30, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »

I’m thinking if I carve up a ½ thick piece of aluminum, secure it by sandwiching the water pump between it and the block, and run 3 spacers between the Moroso motor hanger and the aluminum piece, I should be able to center the motor drive over the pulley.

Fordboy - Time to call Wiggle Pin.

pygmy,

Just spent the whole day with Mike.   Do you think you will need a lathe/milling machine intervention?   Some of those water pump drive bits look like they can only go for 7/10 seconds, not 180/200 seconds like you need.    Was denks du?
 :cheers:
Miniblockprepboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3803 on: March 30, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
Some older records I have measured the piston crown thickness @ .180" thick, in the center.   ?

I suspect that's an estimate - it would have been tough to mic up a piston that hadn't had the pin pulled out of it for 3 years.

Also need the diameter of the piston top ring land, usually = to about bore dia. -.030".

Oh, COME ON!  I JUST PUT THE DAMNED THINGS BACK!   

:-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3804 on: March 30, 2014, 11:09:11 AM »
Oh, COME ON!  I JUST PUT THE DAMNED THINGS BACK!   

:-D

Here's a number you probably won't need. but I calculated it anyway -

Inside diameter of the compression ring groove is 2.521.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3805 on: April 01, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »
Well, I just checked the order details from Great Britain.  Looks like the K block is still in Manchester this evening - FedEx missed the cut-off for delivery - but it's still expected to be in Milwaukee on Friday.

???!!!???!!!

Wow.  I figured they'd just put it on a boat, and I wouldn't see it until May.

Anybody else ever import a 200 lb pallet from overseas?  I'm finding this kind of speed on a palletized international shipment a lot faster than I anticipated.

I'm not complaining - I'm just a bit shocked.

I'll believe it when I see it, but still - a week is super in my book.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3806 on: April 02, 2014, 09:52:36 AM »
my experience was that I had to add a brace that was in a different plane to stop mine from flopping around on a single plane bracket  :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline salt27

« Reply #3807 on: April 02, 2014, 02:12:27 PM »
Well, I just checked the order details from Great Britain.  Looks like the K block is still in Manchester this evening - FedEx missed the cut-off for delivery - but it's still expected to be in Milwaukee on Friday.

???!!!???!!!

Wow.  I figured they'd just put it on a boat, and I wouldn't see it until May.

Anybody else ever import a 200 lb pallet from overseas?  I'm finding this kind of speed on a palletized international shipment a lot faster than I anticipated.

I'm not complaining - I'm just a bit shocked.

I'll believe it when I see it, but still - a week is super in my book.

I suspect the DOHC design makes it travel a bit faster than what you are used to working with.    :-D

Don

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3808 on: April 02, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »

I suspect the DOHC design makes it travel a bit faster than what you are used to working with.    :-D

Don

ha ha ha ha ha - yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah - lmao.

I know you're kidding, Don, but I've had some time to reflect since last August.

Seriously, the K series will be a 45 year advancement in engine technology for me.  It's still 25 years behind what's available today, but you've got to walk before you run.

And I'm proud of what Mark and I have done with the Grenade.  It's about as unlikely a high performance choice as anything on the salt.  I take a lot of encouragement from the guys who are running Buick straight 8s and Jimmy 6s.  The big difference is that they're running in vintage engine classes carved out for them - I'm running against current technology in GT.

And if I had thought that out more thoroughly before I started - well, it's not likely I would have done it.

I'm looking at a performance award here on the wall in my office.  The car that owns the record has overhead cams and a lot better aero than the Midget.  I'm within 3 mph on the oldest standing record in GT, and we're making headway on improving upon that.  And we've done it with an engine design that, if it WERE a Buick or an Oldsmobile, would be considered vintage.

The "1KK" will be a better design to start with, but it's up to me to make it go.

Until then - I'm all in on the Grenade.

my experience was that I had to add a brace that was in a different plane to stop mine from flopping around on a single plane bracket  :-P

Yeah, Bill - my mock up isn't coming along too well.  I need a mill.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3809 on: April 03, 2014, 12:51:35 AM »
My mill is a Harbor Freight 12" disk sander.  :cheers: Wayno