Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3277916 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #3585 on: February 16, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »
The testing supervisor suggests a different colour choice for the cylinder head.    Something less sinister, blob-like and "Porta-Potty"-ish . . . .   perhaps "Testa Rossa"?
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Flowmonkey

I don't speak Italian, and unless it has a trailer hitch, I've got no use for a Ferrari.  Simpletonian economics dictates BMCs and Mopars.

Here's some competition more inline with the economic expenditure I'm willing to blow on racing at this point in my life, see what you think . . . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU-KMsc45lM

NOT exactly LSR or Bonneville, BUT, racing (?!?) none the less . . . . . .

Seems like the only BAD news is:
A/   Gotta go to Arkansas
2/   Gonna get muddy
d/   Don't wanna have a head-on wid a razorback . . . . . .

TTFN,
Enzo from Modena

(Hey Honey, whatever happened to the girl's Barbie Ferrari?)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:16:00 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3586 on: February 16, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »
Here's some competition more inline with the economic expenditure I'm willing to blow on racing at this point in my life, see what you think . . . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU-KMsc45lM

Enzo from Modena

Bringing you the constant variety of sports - the thrill of victory - the agony of defeat.

Live, from the Henry Koen Experimental Forest in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, ABC's Wide World of Sports presents,

The Marble Falls Gravity Grand Prix.  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3587 on: February 16, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
 :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:

Hard as this is to believe, in my almost 50 years of being involved with street performance, racing, etc, I've never seen anything like this . . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyWtoY7hW2k

:evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:
 :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:
Evilboy

In honor of my 666th post . . . . .  :evil:   :cry:
Think I'll just have a 'dark' ale . . . . . .   it's after noon, WTH!!!

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3588 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:13 AM »
Well, since midget has apparently abandoned his Build Diary, I'll just hi-jack the thread for a bit . . . . . . .

In spite of my recent (?) aversion to snow, I guess I'm gonna hafta retire to Minnesotaaa or der U.P.    Just in case I want to extend my race car driving career . . . . . .  :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lwLYHrqPYw

What the heck, they have the power to weight ratio I'm looking for . . . . . . . .

So Slim, is dere room fur neighburs up by youse?
 :cheers:
Mr. Threadkiller

#667 . . . . not the devil, but close . . . . . .

(Hey Honey! Did the girls have a Barbie Corvette too?)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:40:55 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3589 on: February 18, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »
Any video with a Reverend Horton Heat soundtrack is aces in my book.

I'll check at the shriner's temple and see if they've got any cars for sale, get you a fez and a parka -

And Fordboy, you can go up nort, der, and have fun with dat, aina hey.

Oh ya . . .  :cheers:

Offline salt27

« Reply #3590 on: February 18, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »
My kids had a PowerWheels Jeep, we live on a hill, they made a jump, they rode in it together, my wife couldn't watch.  :-o

I removed the seat belts.   :wink:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3591 on: February 18, 2014, 11:47:55 PM »
OK.  Enough fun.  Back to serious engine engineering . . . . . . .

midget,

Interesting learning experience tonight at the domicile & laboratory of one, 'Wiggle-Pin'.

The MGC lifter in an 'A' series block appears to be a 'no-go' for all normal, non-tappet cover blocks.   Some selected blocks might accept the larger diameter lifter, but I'm of the opinion it would be shaky at best, based on the sample size of one example.    Will inspect some more 1275 blocks now that I know what to look for.   Whether or not this would work in early tappet cover style blocks is as yet unknown, but the same selection criteria would definitely apply.

Also, I can say for certain that drilling out the pushrod hole in the block, above the tappet bores, in non-side cover blocks is: A VERY BAD IDEA!!    (Although this can be done without difficulty on blocks with the tappet covers.   The blocks are cast very differently.)

It looks like a specialty mushroom tappet will be required, along with some minor block machining/relieving, to take advantage of "high-intensity"/high-jerk camshafts.

Oh well, best laid plans, etc, etc, etc . . . . . . . . .        I think I need a dark lager to chill my 'idea center' . . . . .

Oh, and some guy, Frank something or other, says he wants his copper bolts and his chicken-head switch back.    He says you would know what he is talking about.                                    
Fordboy
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:52:25 PM by fordboy628 »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3592 on: February 19, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »

Oh, and some guy, Frank something or other, says he wants his copper bolts and his chicken-head switch back.    He says you would know what he is talking about.                                     
Fordboy

Dr. Stein - biological engineering chap from Eastern Europe?  Always smells like formaldehyde?

Yeah, I'm on that. 

That little guy that was helping him - sweetheart of a guy - did he ever go in to get his Kyphosis properly diagnosed?

Abby Normal

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3593 on: February 19, 2014, 10:43:59 AM »
"That little guy..."    Hans Delbruck?  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3594 on: February 20, 2014, 06:20:23 AM »

That little guy that was helping him - sweetheart of a guy - did he ever go in to get his Kyphosis properly diagnosed?

Abby Normal

Not sure on that one as he didn't make an appearance.

I was hoping Inga was going to show up though . . . . . .   :roll:

http://timyates9.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/inga.jpg

"That little guy..."    Hans Delbruck?  :-D

Not sure on that one either because I ducked out when I thought I heard Frau Blucher!!   :-o

http://gdrtales.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/fraublucher.jpg

Don't care much if Inga wears her dirndl, as long as she can still heft those Steiners!!   :-o

http://www.germansteins.com/product_images/uploaded_images/large-german-beer-stein-by-king-werk.jpg

Hope it's filled with Oktoberfest!!   :-)  :-)
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:             (Well, maybe just one that size . . . . . .)
Frankenfanboy

(You thought I was gonna get serious before I got out of the 660's?    :evil: :-D)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3595 on: February 20, 2014, 09:47:13 PM »
Okay – enough dinkin’ around.

Fordboy’s has a PLETHORA of flow bench numbers to share, so while he’s lubricating his slide rule, I’ll be the opening act.

I’ve been e-mailing back and forth with Kevin at Ishihara-Johnson Crank Scrapers.  The BMC 1275 block is a pretty common application for a crank scraper, seeing as so many of them are used in vintage racing, so when I told him what I was doing, he sent me a pre-cut 1275 template for a stock crank to check against my short stroke billet piece.

And as I suspected, it didn’t even come close –

But you’ve got to start somewhere.

I sent him the above picture, and he sent out another template – this one with a lot more material, which I spent the afternoon carefully carving to clear the crank –

Key to doing this accurately was indexing the template with the screws – you can’t quite just hold it and cut.  Everything clears, and there will be enough additional material vs. the stock style scraper that it’s likely they can construct this scraper two-piece, with a Teflon insert.

After searching the world – suppliers in the States, Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, I finally sourced a set of Rimflow Valves for this beast.  Exhausts only – seems Paul Ivey never made a Rimflow intake in a 1.480.

The upside is that I will be seeing better exhaust breathing – something St. Dema was concerned about when the cam was speced out.  If we look back at reply # 3568, Graph #3, the Rimflow exhaust valve in my head gave about 8-12% more flow from .050 to .450 lift, and still betters the penny-on-a-stick valve up to .600 – and I’m not opening it that far.  The anti-reversion design of the valve should help with the charge purity during overlap, AND, because the head actually protrudes into the combustion chamber farther than the non-anti-reversion valve, I should see a bump in compression.

Provided they fit – things get a little busy in this head at 9K.

Moroso electric drive for the water pump arrived today – Stainless’ recommendation – he goes faster than I do.  Same pitch as the pulley Fordboy put together for me, so hopefully I can free up a pony there.

I’ll also be pulling the pistons, rehoning the cylinders with a deck plate, and going with gapless rings.  Let’s see if we can get that leak-down better controlled.

It’s all the stupid little things – that’s about all I’ve got left to work with as far as wringing out the grenade.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3596 on: February 21, 2014, 09:37:53 AM »
Surprise, Surprise, Surprise . . . . . . . . .

midget,

Whilst letting my mind wander during a conversation with a competitive SCCA racer, said conversation being about why his home ported BMC head did not flow as much as his professionally ported and more expensive cylinder head, (DUH!!), he inquired as to how one might determine whether a particular casting was of the "thinwall" or "thickwall" variety.    Photos of sectioned BMC cylinder heads in both of the Dave Vizard books, warn of problems with porting 'late model' castings to large port sizes/volumes, as have been common previously.

The idea being that most professional head porting services in the UK are now moaning & groaning about the lack of material in the 'late model' 12G940 casting with the sculpted top, as opposed to the 'early' castings with the flat top.    (As in aircraft carrier, OR, Doug Buffone"s preferred haircut . . . . . .)     Their claim is that porting these heads is a total "crapshoot" as to whether the modifications will be successful.

I immediately pointed out that some risk could be eliminated by ultrasonic inspection of the ports of a likely casting, but I also allowed the left hemisphere of my brain to remain "in gear", so to speak.    At that exact moment I channeled Archimedes and exclaimed: "Eureka!"

All that is necessary to determine the general wall thickness of the casting is:   A digital shipping scale of the proper capacity!!

Checking the weights of a few castings this morning:

1/   12G1316 ported   27#, 3.0oz
2/   12G1316 ported   28#, 0.0oz
3/   12G940 ported     27#, 0.4oz  early style casting
4/   12G940 ported     25#, 6.2oz  late style casting

Average weight of the early & emission type castings:  27#, 6.46oz
Weight of the only late style sample I could weigh:       25#, 6.2oz

That's a difference of 2#, .26oz!!     That's gotta be from less iron in the casting . . . . . . .

I am going to add this measurement to the records in my database.   I have two more late castings to weigh, once they are disassembled.   Will keep you updated.
GomerPyleboy, er, Archimedesboy, er, you get the idea . . . . . .

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3597 on: February 21, 2014, 09:46:33 AM »

It’s all the stupid little things – that’s about all I’ve got left to work with as far as wringing out the grenade.

midget,

Nice work!!    Have you considered a career in Professional Origami?

And remember, the important thing about the details of the horsepower potential of your engine is: Everything!!
obsessivecompulsiveboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3598 on: February 21, 2014, 09:55:17 AM »

Nice work!!    Have you considered a career in Professional Origami?

Ingress and egress from the Midget doesn't count?

Provided you start with castings that haven't been shaved, that should work.  Not fail-safe, of course, but at least you can eliminate the "bad options".

But really, now - you've got to stop talking to your SCCA buddies while bathing . . .

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3599 on: February 23, 2014, 07:53:29 AM »

But really, now - you've got to stop talking to your SCCA buddies while bathing . . .

I thought the guy taking the 'bath', was the guy who thought he could "home port" his cylinder head and that it would flow as well as a professionally modified head.    :?

Of course, he doesn't:

A/  Have/use a flow bench . . . . . . .
2/  Use race proven valves/valve shapes . . . . . . .
d/  Dyno test his competed engines . . . . . . .

Hmmmmm . . . . . . . . . .

Sometimes a man treading water won't grab for the floatation ring thrown to him.       He doesn't think it's possible for him to drown . . . . . . . .

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result."   A. Einstein

Jefferson was right, some things should be "self-evident".    The problem is: that they aren't "self-evident" to everybody . . . . . . . . .  :|

CaptainObvious
(I think I deserve a promotion.   Perhaps to Major Pain . . . . . . . . :roll:)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:57:42 AM by fordboy628 »