Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3275678 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4050 on: June 22, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
Chris, both Nancy and your Kate have told me how cool is your car.  They're the chicks to whom you refer, right? :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4051 on: June 22, 2014, 12:03:48 PM »
Chris, both Nancy and your Kate have told me how cool is your car.  They're the chicks to whom you refer, right? :cheers:

Thanks, Slim - you pulled my Twinkie out of the wringer with that one . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4052 on: June 22, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
 :-D lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4053 on: June 22, 2014, 08:36:04 PM »
Okay, Mom called - She's down with making me a bra.

For the Midget.

Pre-Paint Prep done -

I'm hoping to keep it simple for Bob Merkt Sr. - Prime, block, prime and paint.

It's just a race car.

Even if it were done right, it's not likely that it would be allowed in the grounds keeper's parking lot of Pebble Beach.

And no, I won't be disassembling the doors.  It's a nightmare on these things, and masking tape is good enough.

Offline Tman

« Reply #4054 on: June 22, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
Today was spent prepping the body for paint.

All of the crap I swept under the rug in 2010 is coming back to haunt me.

Same color.  It's become a "brand" at this point, and like they say at Disneyland, "you don't mess with the Mouse."

And chicks dig it . . .  :wink:

Same with the Unibodies color, chicks dig it!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4055 on: June 24, 2014, 02:18:56 AM »
midgerooski,     (well, it's late, I'm tired, etc, etc . . . )

Finally got around to getting the SuperFlow WinDyn Data Viewer Software up and running on the desktop.   "Simple" installation and troubleshooting only took a day, and based on current customer comments about SuperFlow technical support I guess I should not complain.

But I now am able to present a "slide show" of dyno development, re: 999cc BMC in permutations from under 60 bhp at the start to the eventual 95.1 Shetland ponies.   With notes and insights, hopefully.     If the monsoon season abates here below the cheddar curtain, I'll get it up prior to: Dynothon Part Deux!!

Graham,

Final numbers on the 1310cc:  142.4 bhp @ 8100 rpm  and   100.0 #/ft TQ @ 6500 rpm.    This was with a distributor ignition with about 4 degrees of "spark scatter/spark retard".    And the dyno pull was done at a 300 rpm/sec acceleration rate, only Buddha and the dyno operator know why.    Their previous best was 140.4 bhp @ 8400 and 99.3 TQ @ 6600 rpm, so plus ~ 1.4%.     A crank trigger would likely gain 1% or so and a 100 rpm/second test rate would add ~1/1.5%.   Their previous best pull was done at 200 rpm/sec, so I am at a loss as to why that condition was not repeated.    I suspect that properly set up and tested, the engine would be in the 145 bhp area, perhaps a bit more with lower bsfc as it was run fat, (much fatter than the previous best), again no reason given.

That would be 110.9 bhp/litre and they are at 108.7 bhp/litre.     :-D

BUT, and perhaps more importantly, their little jewel is no longer defacating valve train bits with every dyno pull.    Something about F=ma or somesuch other Newtonian crap . . . . . . . . 
(And it is crap, I know, I asked Karl Rove.)       Gee, I'll bet they could make 175 bhp if they could reduce all that valve train drag . . . . . . .

I suspect that for that kind of bhp, midgerooski would sell his mom & sister, or even a (gasp!!) Les Paul . . . . . . . . . . . . .    :-o    Sorry Chris, my EB2DC is long gone . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #4056 on: June 24, 2014, 09:11:29 AM »
That's impressive F/Boy, especially when you're limited by the old school ignition, is that an historic class requirement?

I'd love that sort of power in one of my Mini's !  :-o

Cheers!  :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4057 on: June 24, 2014, 11:49:32 AM »
That's impressive F/Boy, especially when you're limited by the old school ignition, is that an historic class requirement?

I'd love that sort of power in one of my Mini's !  :-o

Cheers!  :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not so sure how impressive it is, especially when I see missed opportunities for more bhp in the analysis of the dyno data afterward.   The difference in bhp between 142.4 & 145+ doesn't seem like much, but the difference in client attitude is huge.   More reasons to re-retire . . . . . .  and go fly fishing.    :-)

I'm going to try to get some graphs of Chris' engine development and perhaps this 1310, if I can make the time before Dynothon Part Deux.

Yes, distributor driven ignition is required by most vintage sanctioning organizations over here.    However, the technical review of most cars centers on the safety aspects, (as it darn well should).     Problem is, even after you pass Tech, you can be disqualified for violating "the spirit" of the rules.     Especially if your car outperforms the car of  an officer of the sanctioning organization . . . . . .     Anyway, they use a late style Lucas 45D with a mag trigger coupled to a specialty "Plasma" spark box.   All timing events controlled by the dizzy.     They also use a Lucas 45D mag trigger with a Lucas CEI box, it's their backup system.     They claim the plasma box makes more bhp, but there don't seem to be any dyno data sheets that show that to be true.     The driver claims the plasma box is more "driveable".    :?      I, on the other hand, want the data, you know, so I can see for myself . . . . .    It's not that I don't trust drivers, . . . . . . I don't trust anybody.

You can have that sort of power in your Mini!!    All you have to do is make it rain money (US Dollars/Aussie Dollars/British Sterling, it doesn't matter) on your engine & gearbox . . . . . .   and chassis, and suspension, and wheels, and tires, and, and, and ad nauseum.    Play Lotto for adequate race funding!!    :roll:
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Burnedoutdynoanalysisboy
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:15:22 PM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4058 on: June 24, 2014, 11:56:24 PM »
Well, I dropped off the oil pan to get the windage tray welded into place.  That's about all I'll realistically be able to get done this week.  Summerfest starts Wednesday, I'll be working the entire run along with my day job, and other than weekend days, the 4th of July and Monday evening, it'll be 17 hour days until the 7th.

Put the coffee on - I'm going in . . .

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4059 on: June 25, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
Well, I dropped off the oil pan to get the windage tray welded into place.  That's about all I'll realistically be able to get done this week.  Summerfest starts Wednesday, I'll be working the entire run along with my day job, and other than weekend days, the 4th of July and Monday evening, it'll be 17 hour days until the 7th.

Put the coffee on - I'm going in . . .

Coffee?   Coffee?

You're not going the Keith Richards route with a bottle of "Jack" every night?!*!?

Let me point out that the "Jack" route has the benefit of "Not giving a sh** about anything" at the end of every evening . . . . . . . .     :roll:

Sometimes you just gotta say "WTF"
Fordboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4060 on: June 25, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »
Coffee?   Coffee?

You're not going the Keith Richards route with a bottle of "Jack" every night?!*!?

Let me point out that the "Jack" route has the benefit of "Not giving a sh** about anything" at the end of every evening . . . . . . . .     :roll:

Fordboy

You didn't spend enough time in Mooresville.

If I want hillbilly corn liquor, I'll make my own.

CORN is for FLAKES - RYE is for Drinkin'! :cheers:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4061 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »
Fordboy said "Problem is, even after you pass Tech, you can be disqualified for violating "the spirit" of the rules.     Especially if your car outperforms the car of  an officer of the sanctioning organization . . . . ." Sounds like several others sanctioning groups I know of!

Rex   
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4062 on: June 25, 2014, 04:52:38 PM »
Fordboy said "Problem is, even after you pass Tech, you can be disqualified for violating "the spirit" of the rules.     Especially if your car outperforms the car of  an officer of the sanctioning organization . . . . ." Sounds like several others sanctioning groups I know of!

Rex   

Careful, careful Rex . . . . . . .   we could be going down a bad path here . . . . . . .    and I'm not up to a verbal "schpanking" from a site supervisor, and I just don't have the energy or the "bile" to spare.
NotJackjustbeerboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4063 on: June 25, 2014, 05:08:21 PM »
Coffee?   Coffee?

Fordboy

You didn't spend enough time in Mooresville.

If I want hillbilly corn liquor, I'll make my own.

CORN is for FLAKES - RYE is for Drinkin'! :cheers:

Aaahheemm,     At the risk of sounding like my 7th grade teacher, Sister Mary Whacksalot from Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt:    (a 42" blackboard pointer was her favorite instrument of torture . . . . . .)

A/    You didn't spend enough time in Mooresville.        Incorrect.
2/    If I want hillbilly corn liquor, I'll make my own.     There is big dough in designer spirits these days.    Perhaps a successful foray could fund your passion for LSR?
d/    CORN is for FLAKES - RYE is for Drinkin'!              To each his own.   There just isn't any explanation for: individuality . . . . . .
NotJackjustbeerboy   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4064 on: June 25, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »
  At the risk of sounding like my 7th grade teacher, Sister Mary Whacksalot from Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt:    (a 42" blackboard pointer was her favorite instrument of torture . . . . . .)

Been there, done that. Different name though. :-D