Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3275706 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #3780 on: March 27, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »
Hot Diggitty! Can you swap head/cams and associated parts to your built up short block (piston change) or can you bolt whole thing in- after appropriate mods. I know you have been talking about the head for some time just not sure what you need to do to make it work.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3781 on: March 27, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »
Hot Diggitty! Can you swap head/cams and associated parts to your built up short block (piston change) or can you bolt whole thing in- after appropriate mods. I know you have been talking about the head for some time just not sure what you need to do to make it work.

No - nothing is interchangeable between the two.  The K series was a clean sheet of paper - something I've been told was good, because you can slip it under the car, and you can tell where it's leaking . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #3782 on: March 27, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »
 :cheers:  :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3783 on: March 27, 2014, 06:55:23 PM »
  was a clean sheet of paper - something I've been told was good, because you can slip it under the car, and you can tell where it's leaking . . .

I am adding that to my famous quote list
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3784 on: March 27, 2014, 07:28:58 PM »

No - nothing is interchangeable between the two.  The K series was a clean sheet of paper - something I've been told was good, because you can slip it under the car, and you can tell where it's leaking . . .

pigmy,

Don't ignore the best feature of the 'K' series, the quantum jump in technology from the 1930's straight to the present, er, 1988.

Back to the future!!                                                         Back to the future!!                                                          Back to the future!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

P.S.   Sure glad my glass isn't moving . . . . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3785 on: March 27, 2014, 11:26:06 PM »
I was hoping for some pics, but when the screen on the Nikon Coolpix read that the battery was “Exhausted”, I concurred and decided to just do a quick post up.  I’ll recharge the both of us overnight.

Finished the dry mock-up on the front end of the engine.  A few clearance issues have arisen – the adjusting screws for the cam pulley extend about 1/32” out the back and hit on the bolts for the cam retainer.  It looks like 3 button head screws for the retainer should fix that.  I should also note that this was done without the shim in place, but I’ll take the extra clearance that the button heads will provide.

Additionally, the button head screws on the timing cover interfere with the damper.  The cover is already countersunk for flat head screws – I guess the guy I bought it from needed them for something else and just sent the button screws along as a courtesy.  No big deal – any excuse to go to the man mall is fine by me.

I also mocked up the Moroso water pump drive.  The kit includes dozens of spacers, bolts, washers, and a beautiful little bracket, Swiss cheesed to provide you numerous options for mounting.   None of them line up to anything on my engine, but I’ve got a drill and a hacksaw – I’ll figure it out tomorrow  . . . when I don’t feel like the battery.

I expect that next year about this time, I’ll be cussing a different engine . . .

Offline 251ENG

• New folks
« Reply #3786 on: March 28, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
Hello All

Midget , so you took the plunge with a kettle then , you really are a man on a mision  :-D

I,m sure you can make tis work , are you allowed to change the gearbox ? . Its very common in UK to fit Ford gearbox,s in to midget / sprites / morris minors .
We used to do a fair bit of work with JLH morris minors when they were fitting kettles in minors . So bell housings will be available . I even make tooling to machine K series cranks for ford spigot bearings when they were still in the engies :-o

Please contact me if you need anything sorting over here .

PS we also do all Ben Boults machining on his IMPS ,,  :-o :-o   SMALL WORLD

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3787 on: March 28, 2014, 04:39:54 PM »
Hello All

Midget , so you took the plunge with a kettle then , you really are a man on a mision  :-D

I,m sure you can make tis work , are you allowed to change the gearbox ? . Its very common in UK to fit Ford gearbox,s in to midget / sprites / morris minors .
We used to do a fair bit of work with JLH morris minors when they were fitting kettles in minors . So bell housings will be available . I even make tooling to machine K series cranks for ford spigot bearings when they were still in the engies :-o

Please contact me if you need anything sorting over here .

PS we also do all Ben Boults machining on his IMPS ,,  :-o :-o   SMALL WORLD

I already have 3 different 1.0L bore & stroke combos going on my simulation program . . . . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3788 on: March 28, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »

I already have 3 different 1.0L bore & stroke combos going on my simulation program . . . . . . .
Fordboy

And I've already started a spread sheet with bearing sizes, bore dimensions, and cross-referenced to bearings and rings that are commonly available in the states . . .

BUT . . .

H O R S E,   THEN  C A R T .

The donk awaits . . .

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3789 on: March 28, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »

Fordboy

And I've already started a spread sheet with bearing sizes, bore dimensions, and cross-referenced to bearings and rings that are commonly available in the states . . .

BUT . . .

H O R S E,   THEN  C A R T .

The donk awaits . . .

Uhhmmm, Friday night at 6:34pm?!?

The order is:

BEER FIRST, then DONK, then horse, then cart.      I feel like I left something out . . . . .   Oh yeah,  BEER!
Simulatorboy

P.S.   You don't even want to know what the crevice volume in the DONK is . . . . . . good thing there aren't any valve reliefs . . . . . .   :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3790 on: March 28, 2014, 10:15:56 PM »

Uhhmmm, Friday night at 6:34pm?!?

The order is:

BEER FIRST, then DONK, then horse, then cart.      I feel like I left something out . . . . .   Oh yeah,  BEER!
Simulatorboy

P.S.   You don't even want to know what the crevice volume in the DONK is . . . . . . good thing there aren't any valve reliefs . . . . . .   :roll:

Nope - DONK FIRST.

Actually, this new engine purchase has lit a fire under my arse - that and we're 133 days away.  The nominally better weather outlook has been a motivator as well.

Okay, here’s the deal. 

Square peg in round hole.

I want to keep the end of the Moroso adapter that already has the crescent slot cut in it – because I’m lazy – and cheap.  It’s easier to cut up and redrill a bracket than it is to create one.

Now the bosses for the water pump are machined flat – plus there’s an ear where the alternator used to hang out -

I’m thinking if I carve up a ½ thick piece of aluminum, secure it by sandwiching the water pump between it and the block, and run 3 spacers between the Moroso motor hanger and the aluminum piece, I should be able to center the motor drive over the pulley.

Fordboy - Time to call Wiggle Pin.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3791 on: March 29, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »
Okay - the clearance issue on the back of the new arbor on the cam drive - rides up against cam retaining cap screw, and the adjusting screw in the arbor slams right into the cap screw -

A button screw clears everything - plus there will be additional relief when the cam shim is put into place -

Next . . .

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3792 on: March 29, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »
 . . . I was digging through the scrap-heap which is my garage and came across the circular cutout from the dyno adapter – ½ inch aluminum - which I cut out a pie section and mated up to the water pump bolts –

The long bolt will need to be replaced with a longer one – it will mate up to the alternator bracket with some steel spacers, tying the entire aluminum adapter to the block with three bolts.

2 of the existing holes on the Moroso steel bracket line up with one of the water pump holes and a second hole already drilled into the aluminum adapter - damned convenient, I might add – I’ll drill a third through both the Moroso bracket and the aluminum adapter with spacers to further stabilize the whole kit and caboodle.

I’ll also be ordering up a 187L Gilmer belt.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3793 on: March 29, 2014, 07:06:39 PM »
I may rethink this - Now that I've spent some time looking at it, I don't much care for the draw angle of the belt across the Moroso bracket bolts . . .  :|

And while I don't want to have the drive pulley extended all the way to the end of the motor shaft, I think I've got enough strength in the water pump bearing boss to slide the whole thing back about 1/2 an inch . . .

Sometimes, it ain't 'till you stand back, look and question yourself that you begin to see the potential problems . . .

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3794 on: March 29, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »
MM;

That Moroso bracket looks awfully thin; are you sure it won't flex under belt tension?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ