Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3276123 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #3690 on: March 10, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »
3 piece cam wheel - slotted with a threaded backing plate.

I believe the cover has a finger on it that holds the oblong slot against a spring in the wheel assembly.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3691 on: March 10, 2014, 02:03:58 PM »
3 piece cam wheel - slotted with a threaded backing plate.

I believe the cover has a finger on it that holds the oblong slot against a spring in the wheel assembly.
OK, I got it. the jesel I use is 2 piece. Was pretty sure there must be some way, just  didn't get it looking at the pictures.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #3692 on: March 10, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »

BTW, does anybody know why an image edited on Photobucket loses the editing when the image is imported into this website?   I rotated this photo 90 degrees so it would be a vertical image.   You see what happened . . . . .
 :?    :?    :?    :?    :?
apparentlynotphotoboy

Try rotating it and saving under another file name, then have this site point to the newly named file.  HTH
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Freud

« Reply #3693 on: March 10, 2014, 04:27:57 PM »
Don't answer with violence.

Speak softly and use Photoshop.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #3694 on: March 10, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »
 :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3695 on: March 10, 2014, 07:54:53 PM »
Of possible interest to other BMC racers:

Check out this belt drive setup.   It is the first one I've seen with an adjustable tensioning device.    Readers may recall all the effort MM went through to try and install a tensioner on his adjustable chain drive for the cam.
The problem is that when a machine shop line bores or line hones your block and main caps, the distance between the crankshaft and camshaft centerlines usually gets reduced, providing slack in the chain or belt . . . . . . .

I believe this item is from Dave Wells in the UK.    No idea on price, but if you have slack in your drive belt for the aforementioned reasons, this item might be: priceless!!

BTW, does anybody know why an image edited on Photobucket loses the editing when the image is imported into this website?   I rotated this photo 90 degrees so it would be a vertical image.   You see what happened . . . . .
 :?    :?    :?    :?    :?
apparentlynotphotoboy

The cam drive wheel is 3 piece, and the 6 fixing bolts provide the timing adjustability and the clamping.

The slot in the idler assembly is fixed by an allen head bolt & washer that is fit in the slot of the idler.    Just enough adjustability to provide some tension.    Theoretically . . . .

I rotated the photo in PhotoBucket's photo editor and then saved and REPLACED THE ORIGINAL FILE!!   PhotoBucket is not meeting my needs, AND IT DOESN'T DO CAM ANALYSIS EITHER!!

Guess I'm gonna hafta bite the bullet and get Photoshop.

Hey Freud, with Photoshop will I be able to put a donkey's head on all the pictures of my brother?   I'm needing some closure on this or I'm gonna hafta borrow an AR16 from my cousin . . . . . . . . .
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3696 on: March 10, 2014, 10:29:14 PM »
Sounds like photobucket does not really change the image properties, but does the rotation internal to its own application, so the image still retains the original meta data.

Download irfanview, it is a free photo app that allows you to do all the basics like rotation, simple resizing, cropping, contrast and brightness adjustment etc.
For most users it covers 99% of what you would ever want to do except things like moving body parts to other people ;)

For that photoshop elements is the way to go, much cheaper than full photoshop and does just about everything except very sophisticated image manipulation.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3697 on: March 11, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
After you rotate the image in Irfanview, don't forget to save it.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3698 on: March 11, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »
If you display thumbnails or filmstrip in windows explorer and right click there is a rotate left or right option. If you have MS Office 2003 or 2007 there is MS Office picture manager [under MS Office\MS Office Tools.]
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3699 on: March 12, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »
BMC Cylinder head weight, redux

Some numbers:

Head type              Weight                              Comment
12G1316                      27#, 3.0oz                                92-150   Comptune/PHP
12G1316                      26#, 9.2oz                                92-148   Heavily milled
12G1316                      27#, 8.0oz                                ?
12G1316                      28#, 0.0oz                                Home ported
                                   27#, 5.05oz   AVG

12G940 early                26#, 9.2oz                                D. Vizard prepped                                                        
12G940 early                26#, 6.4oz                                MED                  
12G940 early                26#, 2.2oz                                Comptune, heavily milled                    
12G940 early                26#, 14.4oz                              Home ported                                    
                                    26#, 8.05oz  AVG

12G940 late                  25#, 6.2oz                                Calver                      
12G940 late                  24#, 5.2oz                                Swiftune   defect in chamber to water jacket, from valve seat overcut
12G940 late                  25#, 6.6oz                                Swiftune                          
                                    25#, 0.66oz  AVG

All of the above cylinder heads are ported & prepped racing heads.   Some professionally done, some not.  12G940 early head identified by the flat upper surface.   12G940 late head (Metro? Turbo?) identified by the "sculpted" upper surface.

If there is a way to more precisely identify the late head type, I like to know about it.    Any wisdom from the other side of the pond?

Make of this what you will:
A/  12G1316's average approx. 13oz more than early 12G940's.   (no doubt most of this difference is the air injection bosses.)
2/  early 12G940's average approx. 1#, 7oz more than the late 12G940's.      That's 2#, 4oz difference between the late 12G940 and the 12G1316!!
d/  for the purposes of a reliable race prepped cylinder head, less weight appears to be problematic . . . . . . .

Chris's Longman prepped head was NOT included, because it has been so heavily milled for C/R increase.   I'll post the weight of his head at a later time.
Fordboy
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:56:42 AM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Freud

« Reply #3700 on: March 12, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »

Hey Freud, with Photoshop will I be able to put a donkey's head on all the pictures of my brother?   I'm needing some closure on this or I'm gonna hafta borrow an AR16 from my cousin . . . . . . . . .
Fordboy
[/quote]

Photoshop works backwards. Your brothers head will appear on the hind end of the donkey.

If you don't want a mixed color, use a white donkey.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3701 on: March 12, 2014, 07:55:11 PM »

Fordboy

Photoshop works backwards. Your brothers head will appear on the hind end of the donkey.

If you don't want a mixed color, use a white donkey.

FREUD

Perfect!!!   I can live with that.
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
F/B

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3702 on: March 13, 2014, 07:46:43 AM »
midget,

Any word on the x-files?    No micro-film please, transfer by 3.5" diskette, as mandated by Comrade Putin.

Da Svidaniya
Boris

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3703 on: March 13, 2014, 10:05:03 AM »
midget,

Any word on the x-files?    No micro-film please, transfer by 3.5" diskette, as mandated by Comrade Putin.

Da Svidaniya
Boris

Boris, I'm only one spy.

These things must be handled discretely and with a deft hand. 

Do you really want me to say where I'm Putin that diskette?

My autonomy has been disrupted by emergency servitude to the republic of Oak Creek, throwing yesterday into a small scale Crimean Crackdown.  But after I deliver low level wireless telecommunications devices ordered by the Milwaukee Collective Education Authority to the opera house on the West Bank, I will back-channel the encrypted information file and the hallowed relic, the Block of Abingdon, to our operatives in the Western consulate in Butler.

Comrade Conrad
Moscow Midget   
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3704 on: March 14, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »
Hi Simon, yes, I think that's what's referred to as improving the short turn radius, if the port is too big, better to fill it in an improve flow velocity and if the radius is then able to be less severe (and less turbulent) on the short turn, all the better!

How did I do Fordboy, am I learning??   :-D   YES

The thread on a stick thing, is this to observe where the flow is going whilst actually on the flow bench,   YES   I.E. attached flow is better than detached turbulent flow?   

Graham,

Graded your test as an A+.      Notes in your text.    Sorry for the delay in grading . . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

As I will be unavailable to celebrate your test result in Oz, you will have to consume my share.   Doubtless, this will not be an issue . . . . . . . .