Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3275614 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4035 on: June 21, 2014, 01:51:27 AM »
Geez – I hate Harbor Freight.

They never have anything that’s great, but they always have something there that’s just “good enough”.

So for $70.00, I picked up this “good enough” Sino Wonderbar and adapted it to the frame of the Midget.  A decent one would have been 3 times that, but it’s rated for 5000 lb’s – I’m at 1600 and it’s only going to be used between the pits and the line, and on the return road.

Last year, we used a rope, and I kept getting salt kicked up on the windscreen and into the air intake.  This will keep it close enough to the Dodge to keep the mess on the lower part of the car.  I’ll likely save that money in Windex alone.

I noticed that Tom Donney in the J/GT SAAB was using a solar panel to keep his battery up on charge.  He’d built a little frame for it and left it on the car while waiting in line.  A great idea, I thought.

I also took note of the size of the panel.  “Geez”, I sez to myself, “That looks to be about the same size as the rear window of the Midget.

Indeed, it is . . .

The plan is to install it inside the rear window with a voltage regulator.  As long as it’s in the sun, it’ll be in a state of trickle charge.  Seeing as the engine is running only about an hour a day, I’m thinking this might just be enough to keep me from having to put it on the charger.

It will also help keep the sun from baking the interior.

Again, Harbor Freight.

Geez, I hate that place . . .

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rob

« Reply #4036 on: June 21, 2014, 02:00:03 AM »
Chris,

It may pay you to make a cover for the radiator/grill if you are towing. It's far easier to fit and remove than desalting that area of the  vehicle. A full front bra would be the ducks guts!

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4037 on: June 21, 2014, 02:26:18 AM »
Chris,

It may pay you to make a cover for the radiator/grill if you are towing. It's far easier to fit and remove than desalting that area of the  vehicle. A full front bra would be the ducks guts!

Cheers,
Rob

True that.  A bra is on the "if I have time" list, with garbage bags and duct tape being the fall back position.

But my rope last year put me 15 feet behind the tow vehicle and tacking to port in case of an emergency stop by the tow car.  The Dodge is 2 feet wider than the Midget, and it'll only be 3 feet directly behind it.  I doubt if it will be a problem, but better prepared than salinated.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4038 on: June 21, 2014, 03:26:13 AM »
Just get a piece of shade cloth and fit it over that tow frame, that'll stop any salt getting "up in ya grill" :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline BHR301

« Reply #4039 on: June 21, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
You could mount something like this on the trailer hitch while your on the salt. It will help keep the front of the midget clean..

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #4040 on: June 21, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
Chris

We used the same tow bar from the same place that was just good enough with a little modification. The best part is no one has to sit in the hot car to steer.

Take some time and secure some kind of bra or mud flaps. Our car was caked with salt about 3/8 deep o the head light covers. When I go back I will make a bra from Walmart imitation Naugahide and secure it with buggies and perhaps magnets. The problem is with the tow bar you can easily tow at 45 mph which churns up a lot of salt and spay...especially if the salt is damp. The Mig my have an advantage being not as wide as the tow vehicle.  A small sheet of vinyl with some eyelets and short bungies will do the trick.

My 2 cents

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4041 on: June 21, 2014, 02:04:09 PM »
Chris

We used the same tow bar from the same place that was just good enough with a little modification. The best part is no one has to sit in the hot car to steer.

Take some time and secure some kind of bra or mud flaps. Our car was caked with salt about 3/8 deep o the head light covers. When I go back I will make a bra from Walmart imitation Naugahide and secure it with buggies and perhaps magnets. The problem is with the tow bar you can easily tow at 45 mph which churns up a lot of salt and spay...especially if the salt is damp. The Mig my have an advantage being not as wide as the tow vehicle.  A small sheet of vinyl with some eyelets and short bungies will do the trick.

My 2 cents

BR

Wealth accumulates 2 cents at a time.  :cheers:

This may be a job for my mom.  She's a first rate seamstress, and enjoys the arts/crafts type thing.  I also suspect she'd be tickled pink to be involved in the project.

Let's see if she's keeping up with the build diary.

Mom - give me a call.

Love, Chris

Offline Tman

« Reply #4042 on: June 21, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »
hahaha!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4043 on: June 21, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »
We use a shortened motor home whiskers under the bumper of the tow vehicle.  Worked good for ten years.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4044 on: June 21, 2014, 11:13:21 PM »
Well, the Magnum rides pretty low, and it was when I was trying to stay a little to the left that I'd get peppered.

My mommy hasn't called . . .  :cry:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4045 on: June 22, 2014, 01:34:48 AM »
Today was spent prepping the body for paint.

All of the crap I swept under the rug in 2010 is coming back to haunt me.

I've been told the car presented well, and I'm grateful that last year it went fast enough that most folks didn't get a close look at the paint, but it is a wonder any of the panels come close to lining up.

Grinder marks, dimples, and good lord, the damage a car has thrust upon it in a tight garage space over 6 years.

The plan is to take it down to the primer coat, give it a couple touches of Bondo, get it primed, block, prime and paint.

Same color.  It's become a "brand" at this point, and like they say at Disneyland, "you don't mess with the Mouse."

And chicks dig it . . .  :wink:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4046 on: June 22, 2014, 02:02:03 AM »
Oh, good. Your mom called.   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4047 on: June 22, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »
 :cheers:  LOL
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4048 on: June 22, 2014, 09:45:28 AM »
Oh, good. Your mom called.   :mrgreen:

Mike

No, not yet.  :cry:

But Kate read the post, and now I'm trying to explain precisely which "chicks" dig it . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4049 on: June 22, 2014, 10:55:08 AM »
not that they do, would or could but as to why you would have an opinion about it---huh  :-P  there in lies the problem---your perception !! 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!