Author Topic: 2011 Land Speed Shoot Out  (Read 274867 times)

Offline BudJ63

Re: 2011 Land Speed Shoot Out
« Reply #495 on: September 22, 2011, 03:02:09 PM »
Tell me if I am wrong someone, but does the SD break something in the driveline, Driveshaft, trans, rear end, each time he "drives" over the ravine area on the return runs.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #496 on: September 22, 2011, 03:03:53 PM »
The ravine may be a contributing factor, but they have had driveline breakage for a long time.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #497 on: September 22, 2011, 03:06:48 PM »
This time I think they started on this side of it, still a little rough on the highway end of the track. At SW it was rough as a road in.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #498 on: September 22, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »
Updates on a coupla teams.

Richard Assen:  Earlier they ran a tire test.  It was an LSR car tire run on a bike.  The growth factor was not completely understood and it rubbed the tread down to the cord.  The team wanted to be sure that I explained that it was NOT a faulty tire.  They ran about 240 and the tire grew about 1" in diameter which was stated in that tire's specs.  They'll run again with another tire and proper clearance for whichever compound they use.

Poteet and main.  The problem lies behind the inner fender in the 3rd photo.  They broke the Weismann rear end and are swapping in the repaired Fergusen quick change that they broke with the big motor.

I'm gonna get some lunch.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #499 on: September 22, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
Slim,any Idea what tire pressure they had in it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jl222

« Reply #500 on: September 22, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »

Is the course conditions jackhammering the driveline?

How about some pics of course?

JL222

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #501 on: September 22, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »
JL222 look at the video listed on a earlier post you can see the car bounce going across the ditch
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #502 on: September 22, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
It's lunch time here...not much i9s going on...except....that the P&M team is gonna try something different:

The end of the chassis is sorta empty...

...cuz they haven't installed the Fergusen quick-change yet.  The way I shot the photo indicates that there are no gears in it.  That's cuz they haven't installed 'em for...

...the 4-banger Mopar midget motor that was last used in 2009.   I understand that they're out of V8 drivetrain parts and plan to run over 400 with the 4 cylinder motor.  As I recall, the naturally aspirated version  of this motor was used to take back the record from the BAR-Honda team who made a big deal out of going 400 Kph.  It could be very interesting to see it go over 400 Mph.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #503 on: September 22, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »
  I assume they run a Liberty air shifted trans.  I wonder if they could lower the shift pressure?
  Perhaps that would soften the gear change if in fact unloading (however slight) is the problem with the ring and pinion.
  I wouldn't think it would be a torque problem.
Bob Drury

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #504 on: September 22, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »

Is the course conditions jackhammering the driveline?

How about some pics of course?

JL222

About midway down on page 21 of this thread shows the trouble spot. Listen in the crew had worked that area and everyone seemed much happier with the result.

I think there's a bit more going on with the Speed Demon's driveline. Likely something not apparent.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #505 on: September 22, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
Isn't this the third year in a row that they've broken the rear end?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #506 on: September 22, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
Glen, I assume you're asking about tire pressure in the Assen Eagle tire.  70 psi per Richard.  It grew - and they're out of those tires, so they'll mount up a "regular" bike tire and do some testing.  They've got a camera mounted in there now -- will hope the lens stays clean enough to get some visual confirmation on growth.  Ain't it great -- got the record in the hat so let's do some testing that will be of value to everyone?   Jason says he's not happy with the idea of trying to push the non-Eagle tire higher to bump the record, but hey, Richard didn't say that, did he?

We're likely to be down for a few hours now.  The next bike ready to run is Al Lamb at about 5PM - that's two hours form now.  Leslie might be able to get her bike ready.    Nothing new on Nancy's Flamingo bike.  

George Poteet just provided lunch for us all down here at the LSE (Cook Land Speed Events) trailer.  Catering by Carmen from the Black and White.  If you're a Bonneville veteran you'll know those names.  

Fire and ambulance are on the way to town 'til that 5PM time slot. Until then -- sorry to say it, folks, but back to work.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #507 on: September 22, 2011, 04:37:14 PM »
A couple of points about this ' n ' that.

This year the rear end of the Speed Demon isn't the problem -- it's the yoke and drive shaft.  That's not to say that the differential hasn't given them headaches -- but in the past two years they've blown up the rear - not yet this time around (well, unless they hurt it while tristing the yoke, splines, driveshaft, and that stuff).

The "ravine" isn't much of a problem now - as mentioned in another post a little while ago.  While it ain't great nor as hard a surface as the track on either side of it -- it isn't a big BUMP! like it was during the first day of this event.  It might have helped hurt the car if George were hard on it when he crossed over -- but it also isn't necessarily the problem now.

As for trying to soften the shifts -- I know that last year the team was reprogramming the MoTeC to take out some timing or something to soften the hit during shifts.  I assume that bit of technology is still in there.

Enough for now -- gotta go find Nancy, who's probably sunning herself in the fine Wendover weather.  No, I will NOT take and post photos (well, at least, not if she's sunning au naturel :-D :-D).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #508 on: September 22, 2011, 04:52:26 PM »
Darn, your are no fun at all. :evil: :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #509 on: September 22, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »
slim.... the timing you refered to is the "shift Kill" not ignition timing.... this is the "time" the motor is killed allowing the trans to be unloaded for a "shift"........ is the driveshaft and yoke purple from heat? or are the bearings crushed from power and or shock loads?
kr