Author Topic: 2011 Land Speed Shoot Out  (Read 274871 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: 2011 Land Speed Shoot Out
« Reply #510 on: September 22, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »
Thaks for the primer, kent.  Yeah, I sorta knew that -- the shift kill thing, shutting off the motor for a handful of milliseconds to do the shifting.  I've just been talking with Ian, the IT guy on the SD team.  He does have some software in there to soften the power during shifts, not just kill the motor.  The idea is to have less than full power delivered when the engine comes back on after a shift.

But -- this time the issue was sorta, if George will forgive me (which is another story), George's fault.  During the push to get the return run started -- he was blipping the throttle to keep the engine all cleaned and happy for when he put it into geat and started under his own power.  I guess he was some milliseconds early when clicking it into gear - the engine was still spun up a bit too far - and when he hit the "go into first gear" button -- there was too much power, so when the trans. engaged -- well, here's what it looks like:

Another view of the carnage (a/k/a spline):

So - now we go to "What's Next for the Speed Demon?".  Well, it's this way:  They're out of driveshafts and splines, etc, for either V8, so they'll put the 4 cylinder engine in and run it in the morning.  The 299 comes out:

The 182 (Shown here) goes in next:

The ultimate goal, even if they don't get any records at this event -- is to have three motors that have gone over 400 mph.  Two down (poor choice of words - sorry, but I have to use existing phrases), one to go.  Records would be nice, too, right?

In other, more technical news, here's James Rice, Max (of internet audio on landracing.com fame), and me trying to get Max's four-wheel ride onto his Explorer so he could leave.  He's going home for a few days -- hopes to be back for WF.  James Rice and I hope to be able to do the voodoo stuff and keep the audio going for the remainder of this event.  Let's go the photos, Jon:

Photo credits to Nancy, who was wearing her sunning togs while shooting the pictures.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #511 on: September 22, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
it's to quiet
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #512 on: September 22, 2011, 06:26:17 PM »
Speed Demon' TONS of rear axle weight and a airshift Liberty have been areas of concern acording to a conversation a fly overheard under a fellow liners canopy at SW would be my guess  :roll:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:35:19 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #513 on: September 22, 2011, 06:31:33 PM »
Glen, it's quiet because - as of a few minutes ago it has been decreed that we're done for the day.  Leslie and Al won't be ready to run today, Richard Assen is fitting the new tail section to his bike and hopes to be ready for 8AM tomorrow, and Speed Demon is busy installing the little engine.  No late word on the gremlins in Nancy's bike's wiring harness -- well, Scott did mention that he's found the words "Prince of Darkness - mfd. by Lucas Ltd" in it, so maybe that tells us why he's having so much trouble with the thing.

So anyway -- the plug has been pulled for today and we're done with the racing.  I'll go shut down the system and close the trailer and get ready to head for the shower and shave that ends each of the glorious days on the salt.  The weather sure has been nice, though.

By the other way -- during this down time today I've been looking through the list of members and deleting some.  I've nuked a few of the ones that registered and never have posted and/or haven't been on line here for like years -- 800- 1700 DAYS!  I'm cleaning up the list of deaders so that when a otential advertiser, for instance, asks about members and how many we've got - - I can give a more correct number.  And whether that's important or not -- it's just the kind of AR (anal retentive) guy I am.  I mention this only because if you hear from someone that his account got disconnected for no apparent reason -- whoops, I didn't mean to get rid of an active - or even potentially active - member of the Forum and the website.

Good night, folks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #514 on: September 22, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
  One of my alltime great memories is listening to Al Teague make those painfully slow shift's at 300 or so mph.  What a great sound it was!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline DSR88

« Reply #515 on: September 22, 2011, 06:48:34 PM »
Last time I checked "Nobody" I don' care if it is 100-200-300-400 and soon to be 500mph going FAST IS NOT EASY!!!!!!!!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #516 on: September 22, 2011, 06:51:06 PM »
  Donny, neither is stopping from 400+............ :-D
Bob Drury

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #517 on: September 22, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »
Id like to see the tab for Speed Demons week when its over. Going over 400 with 3 motors would fall under "priceless" no matter how you define it.  :cheers:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #518 on: September 22, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »
I think "priceless" pretty well covers it.  :)

Here are the shots from the last "rounds" I made of the pits:

Leslie Porterfield and her bike....she said the ECU was toast.  I dunno if it had that same prince of darkness label that SSS was talking about...but it's still toast...according to Leslie.

Al Lamb's bike.  I really don't know the status here...but it seems to be in the midst of some sort of work.  We'll see in the morning.

The tail on Richard Assen's bike may get some attention from a hacksaw...at least that's what he and drew seemed to be talking about.  Again, we'll see what happens in the morning.

And I DO know what's going on in the last photo.  The 4-banger of the "priceless" variety is gonna have a turbocharger on it....this comes from Kenny Duttweiler (right side of photo)...I think even he would have a hard time getting a normally aspirated 3-liter 4 to run 400 mph.

So that's it for the night. 

As an aside, we'll have a Target 550 update tomorrow that is a real knockout.  Stay tuned.

Offline mc1984ss

« Reply #519 on: September 22, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
in reply #511 that shows the driveshaft is that epoxy on the retaining rings in the yoke? I used to build and repair driveshafts for a few years and had never seen this before. I am assuming it is a precaution for snap ring retension. You definitely can not be to carefull or take anything for granted on a car this fast. Great job everyone good luck and be safe!

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #520 on: September 22, 2011, 10:28:43 PM »
Just arrived L A after 3 days on the salt.

WOW!
What an amazing place that's packed with the finest people on earth.

Thanks,
Ray c wheeler
Ray C Wheeler

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #521 on: September 22, 2011, 11:01:26 PM »
I think it was a Loctite sample.  Seriously -- when they were reassembling the driveshaft one of the Loctite guys was at the bench with a tube off the sample table.  There wasn't anything on the rings then -- yet I saw it there today when I was taking the pictures.  You tell me -- common practice or experiment or "what the hey, let's give it a try since we've got the sample tube right here"?  Maybe it's a lead into a new practice, hey?

By the thankful way, quite a few of you were kind enough to send in some donations today.  The matching donation/offer was for a total of $300 -- they'll give up to $300, that is, if that much arrives here in bits and pieces from others.  So far there's $185.  It's wonderful, thank you very much, 'cause this way I can make sure that Ray and Max get more properly compensated for the work they've put into helping everyone get as much as we can offer from the Top Speed Shootout.  Thanks.  I'll let you know when we hit the goal.  Of course, you don't have to stop then. . . :roll:

Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:14:19 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #522 on: September 23, 2011, 12:38:26 AM »
I'm in the parking lot at Little America, WY, reading 3 pages to catch up.  Being stationed at the tower was a real trip.  Either it's dead quiet or completely busy.  People show up and stay for the runs, photogs and videographers, then escape when the course is unlocked.  James Rice and David Petrali are very good company, very meticulous in their duties, very kind to the audio rube from the Midwest.  And what a place to be when the big numbers occur in the measured mile or kilo.  If God made anyplace better, He kept it for himself.

On the way to I-80, got my big meal at the Salt Flats Cafe and one final t-shirt off the rack in the store.  Not sure how I'll do it, but can't wait to get back for another race, hopefully WF.  I'll post some snap shots when able (I don't have the talent to do photos, just snap shots).   Met some great folks and am really amazed to see the 'liners big speeds in front of the tower at Shootout. 

Just as amazing is to hear from Landracing folks from Sweden and Oz checking in here while we're live.  Thanks, people.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Tman

« Reply #523 on: September 23, 2011, 12:50:37 AM »
I'm in the parking lot at Little America, WY, reading 3 pages to catch up.  Being stationed at the tower was a real trip.  Either it's dead quiet or completely busy.  People show up and stay for the runs, photogs and videographers, then escape when the course is unlocked.  James Rice and David Petrali are very good company, very meticulous in their duties, very kind to the audio rube from the Midwest.  And what a place to be when the big numbers occur in the measured mile or kilo.  If God made anyplace better, He kept it for himself.

On the way to I-80, got my big meal at the Salt Flats Cafe and one final t-shirt off the rack in the store.  Not sure how I'll do it, but can't wait to get back for another race, hopefully WF.  I'll post some snap shots when able (I don't have the talent to do photos, just snap shots).   Met some great folks and am really amazed to see the 'liners big speeds in front of the tower at Shootout. 

Just as amazing is to hear from Landracing folks from Sweden and Oz checking in here while we're live.  Thanks, people.

If you are popping up to I90 and the Black Hills, I got food and or a beer for you on your home trip!

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #524 on: September 23, 2011, 02:34:46 AM »
Thanks, Tman, I'm going to Littleton, then the boring route across Kansas to see how the corn harvest os going for a few hundred miles before paying the $2.50 toll to leave.  Next time perhaps.

I'm busy thinking about how to do an electromotive streamliner for big numbers.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/