Author Topic: Shootout 2009  (Read 324605 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Shootout 2009
« Reply #390 on: September 23, 2009, 11:17:12 PM »
Ray........Stay Focused.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline mayner

• New folks
  • On The Salt
« Reply #391 on: September 23, 2009, 11:29:53 PM »
See everyone in the AM. Go BUB!  :-D

Offline Just a Spectator

• New folks
« Reply #392 on: September 23, 2009, 11:49:09 PM »
Can some one answer a few questions please?

1) What wheels & tires are on the front of the Saltmo & what are their speed ratings?

2) Is the JetBike considered a flat bottom motorcycle streamliner?

3) Is the track still wet & is that the reason for all of the engine failures?

4) What is the closest road to the Newfoundland Basin?

Congratulations to all the racers meeting their goals at Shootout 2009. :cheers:

Thank you

Offline racergeo

« Reply #393 on: September 24, 2009, 01:45:49 AM »
  If you guys are just absolutly bored from no new posts on this thread go look at the new pictures on the SCTA site. Gives me a pre World Finals woody. :-D

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #394 on: September 24, 2009, 06:31:58 AM »
Well, if you've ever had RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) you prolly know how it messes with yer sleep.  So I haven't had any.  However, I put the insomnia to good use and there's a "Quick Pix" section on the ChevyAsylum for the first 3 days of the Shootout:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2009/shootout/Welcome.html

Same format as usual...I can do it that way quickly.  Some of the photos have already been posted on landracing, but there are a lot that haven't.

I gotta pack the Burb up and head back to the salt.  At least I got here in time (last night) to get the package that was left on my doorstep whuch contained an 18-200mm lens.  Good thing I didn't let it sit there for a few more daze, huh?

I guess I better get an energy drink or two to keep me going for a while.

Later,

Offline Rob

« Reply #395 on: September 24, 2009, 06:39:10 AM »
Well, if you've ever had RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) you prolly know how it messes with yer sleep. 
G'day Ray,

Have you tried Deep Heat? I get it in my knees and it's the only thing that works.

Thanks to you and SSS for the continued coverage.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #396 on: September 24, 2009, 09:44:09 AM »
Real quick post.  With the help of some 5-hour energy drink and playin the bass to some jazz/blues fusion (ok, so I played air bass, but stopped the air strings with the left hand for about 90 minutes) I managed to stay awake and got to the salt before dawn...sleep or no sBUB is at the mountain end waiting to run any minute now.

I'm in the the middle of the timed mile, ready to try the new lens, cuz 100 mm was just too long yesterday. 

If the BUB liner makes a good pass, they'll hold the course for his turnaroud (they say they can do it in 45 minutes), otherwise they'll tun the Camaro, then the Missile from the pit end.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:53:01 AM by RayTheRat »

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #397 on: September 24, 2009, 09:54:43 AM »
I'm awake, I'm here, too.  Chris Carr is in the Bub bike at the 12 mile and the place is all "locked down" prior to him making his first run of the day (everybody's first run, for that matter).  It's about 56F and dead calm at the pits.  More soon. . .

Bub engine has started, course is clear and given over to the race bike.  Canopy on the bike.

Bub #7 streamliner motorcycle is under way.

Skids up, released from tow rope.  On his way towards us.

Speeds:     entry   309   kilo  313   mile   313   chute out

Not here yet -- still on the course and waiting for the crew to arrive.  Chute items are released from the bike and being picked up by the Bub crew (S O P). 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:08:42 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #398 on: September 24, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »
We have been blessed to get "used to" speeds on streamliners that are "only" in the low three hundreds.. :-o

Now it seems like anything less than a 340-350 mph pass is a "shakedown" run..

Good luck racers..

J

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #399 on: September 24, 2009, 10:13:44 AM »
BUB in the timed mile, shootin ducks all the way thru the course.  Radio transmission said "Sounded terrible the whole way."

For the first set of action photos with the new 18-200 EF-S IS lens, I'm very pleased.  Much cheaper than an L series lens...and there's nothing in that range with Image Stabilization.  Btw, this lens has auto axis sensing so it'll only correct in the opposite axis of panning.  Pretty kool...and a lot less money than an L lens.  It'll also work with the "amost-released 7D" camera which is essentially a baby 5D with the same size sensor array as the 40D that I use, but instead of 10.2 mpixels, it has 18.something. And it's less than half of the price of a 5D.  Look out, Visa card...I can see somethin in your future.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:20:20 AM by RayTheRat »

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #400 on: September 24, 2009, 10:26:08 AM »
Great pictures Ray.

Keep it up.

Thanks,

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: September 24, 2009, 10:35:18 AM »
Okay -- the 757 Camaro is about in place at the 1 1/2 to make a run. 

On his way, looking good, sounds good according to Junior.

Mile speed entry  250.189  Mile speed 251   exit 252   Nice run!   The nitrous is working, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #402 on: September 24, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »
So I guess the 757's parachutes are working ...

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #403 on: September 24, 2009, 11:22:11 AM »
The Mormon Missile is going to be next up.  They're still in the pits, but about ready to leave to tow to the 12 mile preparatory to making a run.  It's all smiles in the pit over there.

Mike's jet bike just did a test-fire in the pits.  No word on when they'll run today.

The Speed Demon's V-8 head got fixed last night in SLC.  They're putting the motor back together and will make a run with it.  One piston is a little weak so they'll run rich to keep it cool (alcohol does that, I hear)(Alcohol fuel, that is!).  Expect an interesting run from a car with the equivalent of a 7 1/2 cylinder engine.

The Canadian saltmobile team has left the Salt -- evidently done with their efforts.

The Bub bike ran that 313 run with some issues -- the engine didn't sound all that good.  Delvene came over to report the good news -- no fire!.  They'll download data and see what's what.  Maybe the turbo isn't quite right, maybe the little bit of smoke was from the wrapping on the headers being brand new, and so on.  Chris had a good run -- the wind was pretty much dead except for a bit of a cross in the measured stretch, but nothing too scary.  No word on how soon they'll be ready to try again.

The Missile has been pushed out of the pits and is on the way down the course.

Buckeye Bullet is still in the pit and the crew is working on the car with no great amount of tension -- so I guess they're not about to run.

Enough for now.

Oh, the 757 car.  Yes, the chute system worked fie, Steve says.  And he used the fogger system -- will use his bigger nitrous setup on his next run.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #404 on: September 24, 2009, 11:28:01 AM »
Bet we will see 757 in a week or so. The SCTA-BNI unblown fuel coupe records are all about 235-240. Ya-think????
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro