Author Topic: Shootout 2009  (Read 325079 times)

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Re: Shootout 2009
« Reply #705 on: September 25, 2009, 07:06:02 PM »
big THANK YOU to everyone out there involved in relating to us not there what was going on and doing it so well!

fabulous job!!

congratulations to every member of every team that broke a record and hope those who didn't learned what they need to know.

now what am i going to do?
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline t russell

« Reply #706 on: September 25, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
Jon,Ray and all others who reported  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
many thanks
now tell Nancy I NEED a hug :wink:
terry

McRat

« Reply #707 on: September 25, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »
I know what I should be doing. :D

We lost our pistons (still looking for them) at Speedweek, and finally got another set yesterday.  Time to figure out where to put them.  :wink:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #708 on: September 25, 2009, 07:12:54 PM »
Last post.  I'm towing the rental compressor that OSU used back to SLC for 'em. 

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who allowed me to be a part of this deal.  I'd start naming names, but you know how that would go, especially with my memory. 
so I'll just say thanks to everyone and I'll see some of you next year and some next week.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:14:26 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #709 on: September 25, 2009, 07:35:39 PM »
Congrats and thanks to all involved. Most fun I had at Bonneville without being there. Also don't forget about SSS new record "Most online ever" 192. :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:38:40 PM by thundersalt »
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #710 on: September 25, 2009, 08:32:24 PM »
  As the credits roll, and before the aplause dies down, please don't forget to donate to this site, and if its for Ray, state so.......... Hope to see you all on the sixth........ one run Bob :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline Utahski

• New folks
« Reply #711 on: September 25, 2009, 09:51:36 PM »
I saw the naked car on Sunday in the Shootout pits and was surprise what a weak frame the streamliner got.

If this spin was cause by a tire spin, the frame twist more than I thought....than he is really weak.

You have no idea what you're talking about.  I was in the push car.  That engine makes gobs of torque.  The spin was caused by too much torque and not enough traction.  The frame is immensely strong and it doesn't twist.   

Offline Texican

« Reply #712 on: September 25, 2009, 10:26:23 PM »
It was for Saigon, and the rest is history...

"Two all rat patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun", keeps ringing in my ears.  :-o

To Pat:

Lucky that you missed the pleasure of sampling the offerings on the menu; you might have something in common with G. Gordon Liddy, who once caught and ate a wharf rat about as big as the average tomcat, just to prove he was no longer scared of them.

Hope to see you and family at WF; sorry I missed y'all at Speedweek.

Regards,
Jim

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #713 on: September 25, 2009, 10:53:52 PM »
 Congrats to all who ran :cheers:and thanks for the reporting :cheers:

Gary Cole    DCWATERJET Z
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #714 on: September 25, 2009, 11:30:55 PM »
Got home without a hitch.  Oops...I mean I had an uneventful trip.  The OSU rental compressor is still attached to my Burb.  Guess it's gonna be there til Monday cuz I locked it up with a chain...just in case.

Again...thanks to everyone for making this event such an enjoyable (if hardworking) one.  I'll be back next week for WF.  Wait...it's not next week.  I'll be there on the 6th.  I actually have a week with nothing scheduled.  That's amazing, Grace.  I think I'll try to sleep thru the whole week.  (Fat frikkin chance of that happening.)

See ya on the salt.

Offline jl222

« Reply #715 on: September 26, 2009, 01:05:30 AM »
I saw the naked car on Sunday in the Shootout pits and was surprise what a weak frame the streamliner got.

If this spin was cause by a tire spin, the frame twist more than I thought....than he is really weak.

You have no idea what you're talking about.  I was in the push car.  That engine makes gobs of torque.  The spin was caused by too much torque and not enough traction.  The frame is immensely strong and it doesn't twist.   

I have to agree with Utahski  especially a spin at the start [not caused by aero lift] when the tires break loose the vehicles can go into an oversteer condition.

JL222
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:17:39 AM by jl222 »

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #716 on: September 26, 2009, 01:06:16 AM »
Is it really over ? :? :-o

I have spent hours on here in the last week reading the updates then waiting for the next post for SSS and RtR. A huge THANK YOU to you both for all the info and pics !!!

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #717 on: September 26, 2009, 03:30:14 AM »
May I add my thanks to all those who made the shoot out a wonderful event for those sitting thousands of miles away across the pond.  The participants of course made the story so interesting - what a fine two wheeled speed - but it is the reporting and photography that made it so enthralling.  Couldn't give landracing.com my full attention so played 'catch up' in large chunks.  Thanks Jon (& Nancy).

Please let Mike Charlton know that he has a fan base here in the UK too and his achievements to date are being followed in Fast Facts (Speed Record Club magazine). 

Ray the Rat - do you have a photograph of BUB 7 with Chris Carr that will work in a portrait layout to go on the front cover of the next issue of Fast Facts?  [Paper size is A4, standing on the short edge, maybe does not help in the US - 11 3/4 x 8 1/4 inches]. 

My wife (the editor) will have the next issue to press in early October.  [Less than a year into the editors role and Jane has had two outright motorcycle records to have photos on the front cover, an outright land sailing speed record vehicle and the world's fastest steam car breaking the oldest record in the FIA lists].  All of which were set in the USA of course.

Malcolm UK
Acting Chairman - Speed Record Club
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #718 on: September 26, 2009, 04:34:45 AM »
Hey, Malcolm....

...you are talking from a big picture...

...I hope Jane will find a spot for the title of my Speedweek article on the front cover  :wink: 

...she wrote me that she got the CD with the picture.....may be she need your help when she has to choose the picture for the magazine......how much picture will go into the Fast Facts from 105 choices.....  :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #719 on: September 26, 2009, 05:11:31 AM »
I have thoroughly enjoyed the superb coverage by SSS and Ray this meeting. I must also thank all the officials who organised such a successful event, especially Mike Cook, who gives the racers a chance to pursue their goals. I am sad it is all over...I must also thank the other contributors to this thread, because they have played their part in making this such a riveting read. Regards, Gabriel.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!