Author Topic: Shootout 2009  (Read 325085 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Shootout 2009
« Reply #735 on: September 27, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »
The thing is that there is panel distoration and the vehicle has a lot of surface area. If one of the panels gets a lot of air under  it failure could happen. I am sure they will be looking at reinforcing those areas if they have plans to keep running the car.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #736 on: September 27, 2009, 04:10:23 PM »
Looking at the Bullet in the "photo op" shots from Monday, I saw that the front end of the car is several inches higher than the rest.  I'm not an aerodynamicist, but it seems to make sense that allowing air to get under the front end can only create turbulence and drag.  I know a guy who's pretty well versed in aerodynamics and he's offered to advise if asked...just send me an email (I prefer that to PM) and I'll get ya together...if that'll work for ya.

I could be way off, but if it was mine (fat frikkin chance) I'd want the front a little lower than the rear. 

Along these lines, I didn't see much in the way of front suspension, so I doubt that an aero device such as dive planes or a canard-type wing would help much.  If I'm incorrect here, I'm sure someone will correct me.

In any case, I want to offer my congratulations to the entire team.  One of the most telling moments was when I heard this on the FM (something close anyway)

"The clutch broke."

"That's ok.  We've got another one in the pits.  Let's get it changed."

That exemplified the racing spirit of the whole team.  Great stuff guys.

Btw, the air compressor is still attached to my Burb and will go back to the rental place Monday morning.  I hired a neighborhood kid to wash all the salt of it and the Burb so it won't look like it's been used in the salt mines.  He worked cheap, since I offered him the job of clearing my sidewalks this winter.

C'mon back next year and shoot for 400!!!  I wanna be there to get the photos!

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #737 on: September 27, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »
Thanks for everything, Ray, esp. taking the compressor back to SLC for us.
BTW, do you have, or know somebody who has, a shot of the Bullet on the last run with both 'chutes out?

~George
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #738 on: September 27, 2009, 05:48:04 PM »
You're very welcome, George.  I didn't get any shots with both chutes...I barely had enough glass on the camera to get shots going thru the mile.  Maybe Scooter or Larry (they're here somewhere) got 'em.

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #739 on: September 27, 2009, 11:54:24 PM »
I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to a few people who really deserve to be recognized:

Mike Cook and Mike Jr, Dan Warner, Dave Petreli, all the rest of the crew....thanks for the personal care and attention you continually give each of us while out there racing at this event. You leave no doubt in our minds that we are safe and well taken care of. Mike, the mentoring and advise you give, leaves me with confidence that we can safely reach our goals and I always know I'm in good hands, thanks. The hard work in preparing such an event of this magnitude can be overlooked but can be easily recognized when successful as this event always is. Congratulations on an awesome event.

To the Goodfellow family, Lynn and Kurt, thanks for trusting in me to get this big orange girl down the salt. We learn from every run and we are getting closer to our goals everytime. Thanks for the hard work and dedication in getting the car built, rebuilt, and built again. Your hard work back at the shop gives me confidence that I'm in the best possible ride we can have. I'm honored to be involved with this car and such a great family, thanks.

To Kurt, Lynn, Mark, and Cody Goodfellow, Mike Reff, Volker Schwarz, Rick Wisner, Dave Lauren, Jim White, Steve Cole, Roger, Pete Belic, Dave Skinner, Paul Green, Mark Wilksch, Byron and Harold Halvorson. You guys are and amazing crew and I'm honored to be working with you guys on such an awesome project. Thanks for keeping me safe and making this the fastest single engine diesel vehicle in the world. For nearly two weeks everyone busted their butt and we never let anything stop us from moving forward. You all continue to amaze me at how well we can bring out the best in each other. I look forward to working with all of you to make our goals with this car a reality.

To Lindsay and Mike Stasburg for opening up your machine shop and trusting me to use your equipment to bore our engine block late on a Friday when everyone should be heading home. You guys are the truest and best type of racers out there. Thanks again.
Zane Koch from Wide Open Performance, thanks for opening up your immaculate shop on a Saturday so that we could assemble our engine in a clean workspace. Your generosity is outstanding and your projects mindblowing. It was a pleasure to meet you and have you there when we set our record. Thank you.

Congratulations to all on a successful 2009 and I look forward to moving this project forward with all of you.

Curtis Halvorson
Driver and Engine Guy
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:30:43 AM by Dmax65 »

Offline joea

« Reply #740 on: September 28, 2009, 01:21:06 AM »
........simply..........amazing...........

.........curtis........et al.........thank YOU so much
for sharing these thoughts...........

Offline crusher

« Reply #741 on: September 28, 2009, 07:49:15 AM »
This is Mike Charlton.Just got home.Had a great time.Last pass 203 into mile 208 out.Ran motor on half throttle and no after burner.mike cook and mike cook jr were great to us first timers.Learned a ton of stuff.most importantly wear the car wash is in town,Under speed bike handled great .We are going to change a couple of things.We will be back.This story isn t done yet. Back to work.Talk to you later.
mike

Offline crusher

« Reply #742 on: September 28, 2009, 07:51:33 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/09/mike_charlton_of_eastlake_hope.html                       Story they did in local paper.Any ink is good ink.
Mike

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #743 on: September 28, 2009, 08:52:57 AM »
Does any one have all the fast times and records for the shootout.  I have seen some of them but I am not sure they were the fastest times.  Just wondering.  I realize they have to be certified.  Thanks

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #744 on: September 28, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »
Mike, Nice write up and video...

Keep up the good work.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #745 on: September 28, 2009, 09:24:27 AM »
Mike C, glad you were able to realize the first step of your journey and dream, keep us informed with your plans...

Curtis, thanks for sharing

GW, congrats to all the OH team... let us know what is next

Let's hope Mike Cook can continue putting on this event and Jon, Ray and everyone else that kept us informed have this venue for our reading, and maybe in the future watching and listening pleasure  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:26:01 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #746 on: September 28, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »
BTW, do you have, or know somebody who has, a shot of the Bullet on the last run with both 'chutes out?

~George

Yes it looks like I have a shot of both chutes inflated as the car goes through the 7 mile post.
Shot is from the left rear quarter of the vehicle and about 1.5 miles away so heavy mirage.
I have a sequence of 3 shots 2 seconds apart the first shows both canopies inflated, the second looks like one chute is cut loose and the third only shows a single canopy. Time stamps are 16:14:08, 16:14:10, and 16:14:12 on the cameras clock.

Larry

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:17:22 AM by hotrod »

Offline Jim Kerr

• New folks
« Reply #747 on: September 29, 2009, 12:03:28 AM »
Thanks for the excellent coverage of Shoot-out 2009. It was as if I never left 'Speed Week". Kudos to Mike Cook and his crew for doing such an excellent job. I hope I can make the next one in person,Jim Kerr

Offline Luckyontheducky

« Reply #748 on: October 12, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »
:roll:

While we're all waiting for some news of any kind, I guess I'll put my two cents worth in.  To paraphrase Mark Twain, "The reports of my Last Hurrah have been greatly exaggerated."

Everytime Denis fires up Lucky 7 it gets the old adrenelin going again.  If all goes well the Vincent streamliner, Black Lightning will be at the Mike Cook Shootout in 2010.  I'm planning to by pass the Bub Meet next year.

Max

...will that be with or without the sidecar?

...will that be with or without the sidecar?

Offline etic

• New folks
« Reply #749 on: November 09, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »
THANKS JON FOR THE WATER SPEAYER I HOPE THE MORMON MISSILE TEAM GIVE YOU BACK THE TANK AND TANKS FOR ALL INFORMATION YOU GIVE IN YOUR CHAT.

TANKS TO RAY FOR THE GOOD PICTURES.

TANKS TO MIKE COOK SR AND JR FOR INVITED US AT THIS EVENT.

CONGRATULATION TO ALL TEAM FOR YOUR RECORD , YOUR WORK AND YOUR PASSION .

DO YOU NO IF SOMEBODY TAKE SOME VIDEO OF THE SNOWMOBILE / SALT MOBILE BECAUSE WE WANT TO HAVE BETTER IMAGE OF THE SPEED RUN.

THE G FORCE TEAM PUT A VIDEO ON YOUTUBE  IF SOME ONE WANT TO LOOK. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93c0cWCou-k

HAVE A NICE DAY
ETIC
G FORCE TEAM