Author Topic: Shootout 2009  (Read 325090 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: Shootout 2009
« Reply #660 on: September 25, 2009, 03:20:05 PM »
Just as the Bullet's chute deployed.

Hey, Ray, is your lens to shy to go closer or was your new baby on the camera body  :wink:

I think the 100-400 is feeling a little worn out, just like the rest of us...but that shot was almost 2 miles from me.  I'd love to have a 600mm prime, but $13k is a little outta my league at the moment.  :)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #661 on: September 25, 2009, 03:24:06 PM »
Just as the Bullet's chute deployed.

Hey, Ray, is your lens to shy to go closer or was your new baby on the camera body  :wink:

I think the 100-400 is feeling a little worn out, just like the rest of us...but that shot was almost 2 miles from me.  I'd love to have a 600mm prime, but $13k is a little outta my league at the moment.  :)

this 600 is also out of my sight......my bank account would fire me......  :-D ....but may be I will ask at the World Final if you can borrow me the 100-400 for a short time to make some test shoots....... see ya next week...  :cheers:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #662 on: September 25, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »
Hey -- the jet bike is starting up again.  Moving under power -- entering the timed section and looking good, says Rice in the tower

178 entry

198  exit

Chute out at the four, looking good, slowing properly.

In the meantime, Buckeye Bullet is one hour from running.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:42:36 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #663 on: September 25, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
It would be useful to know from those near or with the BUB 7 what tyres Denis has mounted on the bike.

Please do not forget to use the phrase on the new 'record' that "the speeds are subject to FIM ratification".  Well done Chris and Denis and the BUB 7 team.

Pork Pie: From what I can find on the FIM website (indeed more accurately what I cannot find) the percentage improvement in speed over an existing record appears to have been dropped from the paragraph on determining what the record speed is.  If I can find my archived ten year old data I will be able to give paragraph numbers as they were to confirm what is 'missing'.  If the FIM have followed the American route that any improvement in speed is a record then they are the first international body to recognise that timing results are now so accurate there is no need for any artifical percentage to confirm a better speed is a record.  [The boaters use 0.3% and the cars 1%].

Jon, Nancy and Ray - thanks for the coverage.  Had to read nearly 15 pages this evening (UK time).

Malcolm UK
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #664 on: September 25, 2009, 03:47:29 PM »
About "pending" FIM ratification:

Charlie and I were talking about the subject -- and nowadays, with the electronic timing and other "modern" equipment, verification is more of a rubbefr stamp process than it was in the old days.  Yes, the committee meets to verify -- but mostly that consists of "Were all the documents in order and the speeds recorded by calibrated equipment?"  If so, then the speed is ratified.

The pending ractification rule is still there -- but isn't quite the big deal it was back before the Rice Brothers and their ilk were doig the timing, and before the other certification requirements were so well considered during an event.

As for tires on the Bub bike -- unh, go through the archives on this site and look for the discussion about the 450-mph Goodyear tires that Denis got for the effort.  The subject was thoroughly discussed.  I did hear that handling of the bike was somewhat different with these new tires - and that Chris needed some time on them to get comfortable with the handling of the scooter using them.

We're heading to the truckstop for a bite to eat.  Back in a little while.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:52:29 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #665 on: September 25, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »
SSS - just needed to know they were on the new Goodyears this meeting.  Could only guess that they were from here across the pond.  Thanks for the confirmation.  The UK line up to buy into this rubberware is growing all the time - if the pre build publicity is to be believed.

Malcolm UK
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #666 on: September 25, 2009, 03:53:47 PM »
Jet Bike Mike going the other way.  Mirage effect in the last shot at no extra charge

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #667 on: September 25, 2009, 03:55:30 PM »
Pork:  I'll be happy to lend you the 100-400.  I'd like to hear your opinion of it.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #668 on: September 25, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »
Hi Malcolm,

thanks for your help to find the answer on this percentage issue.

My last rule information on paper is from the 76/77 season - when I tried to find Kitty O'Niel (Hamilton) and the SMI Motivator.

I remember very well, that on one of the pages with the rules was this information with the 1 % rule.

I tried to go through the current FIM rules (which I download 2 years ago) but that thing drives me crazy (if someone says now, I'm crazy.....yes...and I'm proud on this..  :-D ).

So you be in the same position as I, in the moment. In one of my 12 boxes with the archived material is somewhere this old FIM paper - but in which one.

May be I got time on the weekend to check this. Hope you be successful - for me, to drop this rule, sounds very strange and it would make no sense, especially to all this nearly record holder who couldn't set a new record due to this rule.

Mike (Akatiff) mentioned a while ago something in a note here on Landracing, which nobody understand what he liked to say in his writing. I never heard something that the FIM changed something with the percentage - but that means nothing. The FIM done so much over the last 10-15 years that everybody went confuse.

But Chris and the BUB7 was so much over the old record that there is so or so no problem - unluckily, he didn't broke the 600 kmh mark...
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Cleveland Carrie

« Reply #669 on: September 25, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »
This is Mike Charlton's daughter.  I've been watching this thread for 3 days now.  We are all so proud of Mike for not giving up w/ all the problems that have come up last minute.  Congrats on getting through the run!! Please someone let him know that!! Thanks to all of you for the awesome updates!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #670 on: September 25, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
Pork:  I'll be happy to lend you the 100-400.  I'd like to hear your opinion of it.

Ray, thank you...and I will let you know for sure.

BTW - nice picture series with the jet bike - mirage effect gave him a extra kick  :cheers:
Pork Pie

Offline Texican

« Reply #671 on: September 25, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
To Pork Pie:
  Do you get a chance to watch the Petit LeMans from Atlanta on Saturday?
We'll see how well the French can practice running from the Germans; something they've gotten good at over the last 80 years or so.
  Also, I'll talk to the chef (chief) and see if we can do Tex-Mex, or Bar-B-Que,
or perhaps, Thai again when you get here.
Keep in touch, Ray can shoot you my home E-mail.
Regards,
Jim

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #672 on: September 25, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
Photo of the jet bike showing the salt plume being kicked up.  Not from a drive wheel...maybe just weight?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #673 on: September 25, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
Ray, no drive wheel. It's probably salt dust from the ground effect under the bike sucking it up and discharging it from behind.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #674 on: September 25, 2009, 04:43:26 PM »
Looks like the jet bike is staying upright and square to the ground.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean