Author Topic: Shootout 2009  (Read 325087 times)

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Shootout 2009
« Reply #720 on: September 26, 2009, 07:03:34 AM »
I just got home --- need to get some sleep before I dig through over a thousand photos.

It was a fun time, and congratulations to all the teams who busted knuckles and buns to get their records or break everything in sight trying.

Larry

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #721 on: September 26, 2009, 07:19:32 AM »
Hi Jon, Nancy and Ray

I've just sent a little something via PP ask a token of my thanks for your excellent efforts this week :cheers:

Rest well, and have a good time at the WF, and let Nancy get her hat :-D

All the best
Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #722 on: September 26, 2009, 07:33:19 AM »
Thomas (Pork Pie),

Jane has always made sure that the major articles inside Fast Facts are named on the front cover and your superb photographs have been used to enhance the coloured parts of the magazine before and they will do so again I am sure.  It will be difficult in the next fortnight to choose the most appropriate ones.  My job will be to offer the best news items from the past three months.

For those who want to obtain back issues of the magazine make contact with Neil & Jo at backissues@speedrecordclub.com

Malcolm UK
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #723 on: September 26, 2009, 08:34:56 AM »
Fast Facts is a very good magazine.  I have subscribed for several years.  Lots of great pictures and very good articles on Speed.   Land Water Air covers them all.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #724 on: September 26, 2009, 09:39:09 AM »
Thomas (Pork Pie),

Jane has always made sure that the major articles inside Fast Facts are named on the front cover and your superb photographs have been used to enhance the coloured parts of the magazine before and they will do so again I am sure.  It will be difficult in the next fortnight to choose the most appropriate ones.  My job will be to offer the best news items from the past three months.

For those who want to obtain back issues of the magazine make contact with Neil & Jo at backissues@speedrecordclub.com

Malcolm UK

Malcolm,

not so serious - you saw my smilies - I was just joking - Patrick done a great job in all the years and Jane do it now in the same great way - honestly, I don't like to be in Jane's position to make the decision which pictures (from the CD I had sent) will be in the next issue - I had a hard time to make my decision when I went through all the digital pictures....  :roll:

Unfortunately, for me, the record which Chris Carr set is so spectacular that I understand, that he has to be on the frontcover  :cry:

Brian (Westerdahl), when you be a long time reader of the Fast Facts - then you know my articles and my picture work - hope you will enjoy also my new one in the FF #75 - we have another anniversary  :cheers:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline mkilger

« Reply #725 on: September 26, 2009, 10:48:43 AM »
and a thanks to Mike Cook and staff , good luck Mike with your shootouts, Ron main's 435MPH everyone saw or read history in the making. too cool thanks Mike. :cheers:

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #726 on: September 26, 2009, 10:55:40 AM »
I saw the naked car on Sunday in the Shootout pits and was surprise what a weak frame the streamliner got.

If this spin was cause by a tire spin, the frame twist more than I thought....than he is really weak.

You have no idea what you're talking about.  I was in the push car.  That engine makes gobs of torque.  The spin was caused by too much torque and not enough traction.  The frame is immensely strong and it doesn't twist.   

I have to agree with Utahski  especially a spin at the start [not caused by aero lift] when the tires break loose the vehicles can go into an oversteer condition.

JL222

You've got that right Dave and JL22. With only about 3 degrees of steering in either direction the car doesn't steer out very well. The salt was kind of thin on each end of the 12mile and with the engine and turbos still hot from the first run it came up on boost very quickly, the rear tires dug through the salt and at that point she was going around.  I'm just glad it spun that early in the run and we were able to salvage the record attempt.  Speaks highly of the MM team and just how hard these guys work and never give up. Great job by all the crew.
Curtis

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #727 on: September 26, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »
I'm thinking that this thread has made Landracing.com way too popular.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #728 on: September 26, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »
Dean, you've seen it -- and I just found that, too.  So here I sit in the Enola Gay hangar at Wendover Airfield while I decide if I want the free upgrade which will cost me $25/month -- or if I want to pay for the upgrade to the "pro" service, which costs $24.95/month.

Unh, got me coming and going (sounds like a urologist at work, hey?).

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll get the pictures back to you folks ina minnit.

BAD NEWS FOR TODAY:

These jokers at Photobucket won't let me pay with a credit card -- 'cause it's already linked to a Paypal account.  And I don't have the Paypal password/userid with me -- it's at the apartment on the other side of town.  So -- I can't register to pay for Photobucket and get the photos back on the site for a few hours.  Please forgive me for this interruption.  I should haveit working again by suppertime.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:14:21 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #729 on: September 26, 2009, 12:09:07 PM »
Looking at Ray's shot of the buckeye bullet, I took a look at some of my shots, and I also have several images that show considerable lift and dislocation of the body panels, possibly due to bending of the chassis or flex in the mounting hardware for the body panel.

The engineers at Ohio, can contact me for a full resolution image that they can analyze to determine the exact amount of lift.

Here is a small snip blow up, out of one of those images shot at 3:17pm 9/23 about halfway between the 5 and the 6 mile post headed toward the mountain (so they can look at telemetry for the true speed).
The lighting clearly shows that the front edge of the body panel has lifted approx. 1/2 inch and the nose is up several inches.

Larry
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:12:22 PM by hotrod »

McRat

« Reply #730 on: September 26, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »
I wasn't going to post this, but what the heck...

With the big charger diesels, you don't have a throttle pedal, you have a time-delay light-switch instead.  You put in a request for some more HP, your request is processed and assessed:

"Hey Joe!  The driver asked us for some more power."

"Yeah, I heard him, but I'm right in the middle of Days Of Our Lives, can it wait until the commercial break?"

"Sure, that should be no problem."

"OK, it's a commercial break.  What did you want Stan?"

"Uh, let me think.  Something about a driver request.  I think he wanted some more power?"

"Did he say how much?"

"I forgot.  Well, if a little is good, more is better.  Give it all to him immediately, and if he doesn't like it, he can just make another request."

WHOOOSH!!!

It's what makes racing turbo diesels fun and scary at the same time. 

Offline desotoman

« Reply #731 on: September 26, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
Jon, Nancy, and Ray,

Thanks for all of your effort in bringing excellent reporting to those of us not being able to attend the shootout. I appreciate it.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #732 on: September 27, 2009, 12:02:55 PM »
A great big "THANK YOU!" to Mike Sr., Mike Jr., and the rest of the crew who did a super job of preparing and keeping a safe and fast race course. Without their hard work nobody would have been racing, especially after the course was a lake a few days earlier.
The goal of the BB2 for the last 3 race seasons has been to set the FIA mark at over 300 mph. A fried motor and damaged inverter during WoS left us wondering whether we would get to even make an attempt this year. The few days of downtime gave us the chance to make sure everything else on the car was ready for when the motor was finished. This enabled us to install the motor and inverter when they were ready on Wednesday, do a quick wheel spin test, and put the car on the track. Our first passes resulted in a kilo average of over 300, but being stubborn as we are we wanted the mile average to be over 300 as well. Thursday brought more frustration as we chased a shifting problem that turned out to be a cracked, flexing, and subsequently broken shift lever. A quick fix Thursday night produced two record attempts on Friday that fell teasingly short of our 300 mph goal. After much discussion as to how best to get those few extra mphs a couple small tweaks on the inverter settings  resulted in the fastest mile, kilo, and exit speeds ever for the BB2.
Being the oldest member of the crew (by a fairly large margin) I am very proud of how the younger team members worked together to not only set these new records (pending FIA review, of course) but also to overcome the inevitable setbacks that occur in any form of racing. They also did an incredible job on Friday of making three record attempts, encompassing six runs and three turnarounds, in less than eight hours. The time needed to completely service the car dropped to less than 30 minutes! http://blog.buckeyebullet.com/
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #733 on: September 27, 2009, 12:14:51 PM »
Congratulations to the Mormon Missile team, the BUB team, and the G-Force team. Your hard work and dedication are an inspiration to all who watched your efforts and record runs.  :cheers:

Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #734 on: September 27, 2009, 03:14:58 PM »
Looking at Ray's shot of the buckeye bullet, I took a look at some of my shots, and I also have several images that show considerable lift and dislocation of the body panels, possibly due to bending of the chassis or flex in the mounting hardware for the body panel.

The engineers at Ohio, can contact me for a full resolution image that they can analyze to determine the exact amount of lift.

Here is a small snip blow up, out of one of those images shot at 3:17pm 9/23 about halfway between the 5 and the 6 mile post headed toward the mountain (so they can look at telemetry for the true speed).
The lighting clearly shows that the front edge of the body panel has lifted approx. 1/2 inch and the nose is up several inches.

Larry

Maybe just the nose is lifting pushing the rear of the nose section down :?

JL222