Author Topic: Shootout 2009  (Read 324606 times)

Offline AJR192

Re: Shootout 2009
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »
I.B., It was not just a broken rocker arm. It dropped an exhaust vale. The valve head was never found. The valve stem shot through the valve cover. They were going to take the head to Chapman's in SLC for a marathon repair until it was discovered that the cam had been damaged also. There was much more severe damage to that enginge then just a rocker arm. If you had that kind of money tied up in a piece like that, would you just scab it back together and pray for a miracle? There is much more to that story than you apparently know.

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 08:01:20 PM »
This is the list of vehicle that will be running for  FIA / FIM records at cooks landspeed shootout. Sorry no roadsters our four wide night racing  :oops:

Ron Main/George Poteet

Lynn Goodfellow

Buckeye Bullet

Bikes:

Denis Manning Lucky 7

mike Charlton

Snow mobile
Mike cook jr

landracing

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »
what happened to Ack Attack and Nish?

JonAmo

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 09:14:14 PM »
Nish killed his motor, Ack I don't know but heard he might be there
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »
Nish could not get parts in time for the meet and Kline the motor man just had hip replacement we wish him a speedy recovery.  as for Ack they are making a lot  of changes to the bike and ran out of time to get it ready for this meet. Just spoke with dad an he said that the Australian bike is 90% but we will know more tomorrow as it is the last day to enter. 
Mike cook jr

landracing

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 10:50:06 PM »
Australian bike as in Richard Assen or Greg Waters?

JonAmo

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 12:25:26 AM »
Jon sorry I never got a name but I will find out tomorrow I do no  that they ran at bub maybe that will help
Mike cook jr

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 03:08:55 AM »
Jon sorry I never got a name but I will find out tomorrow I do no  that they ran at bub maybe that will help

I did not know that open bikes were available to run for FIM at the Top speed shootout... :?

Mike..?

John

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 06:31:17 AM »
Because the salt at BUB`s was not suitable for higher speeds, and given the distance the New Zelanders had travelled to have a go at the FIM record, thay were considering running at the shootout meet,,, however, as off last Sunday thay had not made a decision. Greg, Richard and the rest of us Aussies and Kiwi`s are all back "down under", the bikes are safely locked away somewhere in SLC.
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline joea

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 07:29:21 AM »
........so........are......open bikes.......permitted to run at the shootout......?...

and staytee.......(miss ya)......if the ""salt at BUB`s was not suitable for higher speeds".......

how the heck did Mrs Porterfield run over 240 mph her fastest ever salt run......and
Bub over 355 mph, Sam over 320 mph both with mech. gremlins holding them back....?.......

Joe :):)

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 10:34:45 AM »
and staytee.......(miss ya)......if the ""salt at BUB`s was not suitable for higher speeds".......

how the heck did Mrs Porterfield run over 240 mph her fastest ever salt run......and
Bub over 355 mph, Sam over 320 mph both with mech. gremlins holding them back....?.......

Boy did you just read my mind!! :lol:

Offline ack

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 10:34:55 PM »

I did not know that open bikes were available to run for FIM at the Top speed shootout... :?

Mike..?

John

We decided to allow an open bike to run at this meet for a couple of reasons.

The first was the fact that there were only one bike and a snowmobile that were going to run for FIM records.  This brings the cost up greatly for the entrants. Sam’s aluminum wheel is working well and he is making major modification to his bike over the next year and is not running. We are not running this year because we have the record and at Bub Denis said there was no way he could get the bike together for the Shootout.  I have never seen the logic of running against your own record especially on what may be a track that is not as good as last year.

We would need to work on the bike steadily after Bub up until the event to get it ready so when it looked like the record would stand for another year the crew and I decided to bag it for this year.  Two key crew members took off on vacation.  So when Denis called and said he wanted to run we had lost several days and crew members.  We went back and forth trying to decide if we would go but in the end it just didn’t make sense with the time we had left.

There will be no cable network coverage of this year’s event.  The video of last year’s event will broadcast later this year on a major cable channel it’s really a professional well done program that captures the spirit of the event well.  I have a commitment from a major documentary director to produce a program on next year’s event for broadcast. There should be at least 3 bike streamliners and as many as 5 next year going for the record. 

The second reason was that Richard Assen who has traveled at great expense from Australia and ran 260 at Speed Week using 80% throttle was unable to get anywhere near the absolute FIM record for open bikes at Bub because of track conditions.  I met his sponsor who has been a great supporter of land speed racing and it just seemed right  to offer him a chance to set this record while they are here.

Remember this is a private invitation only event and the Mike has the best interests of the entrants as a top priority.  Helping out a serious FIM record contender and reducing the cost for all entrants seemed the right thing to do. Streamliners will always come first if there are enough of them to justify the costs of the event.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 10:39:03 PM »
Okay, folks -- there's the latest on what motorcycles will be at the Shootout (which starts Sunday, the day after World of Speed ends -- 20 September 2009 -- two weeks from day after tomorrow.

Nancy and I will be at the Shootout to cover the event for this site.  Try to get there -- it's an event like none you've been to before (probably, at least) -- and you'll never forget it.  If you can't be there -- log on.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline AJR192

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 11:24:16 PM »
Did Klein need hip surgery because Terry kicked his a$$?

Offline Constructive

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 03:53:02 PM »
Mike Cooks 2009 land speed Shootout

Speed Demon will be at the Shootout.  We were breaking everything during our runs at Speed Week.  We've beefed up all the components of our drive train and we will be able to kick up the boost and will be adding another 800 HP.  Our team will be leaving Los Angeles on Friday,

Nish, Burkland, Danny Boy and the Top 1 ACK Attack will not be at the shootout.

Does anyone have any confirmed information on the Bob Williams snowmobile or on Mike Charlton Jet Bike?

Ron Main for Speed Demon--Poteet and Main [for information on Speed Demon:www.speedeemon.us ]

Constructive