Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3218346 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1650 on: March 20, 2011, 10:17:19 PM »
It is Drier in Phoenix  :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1651 on: March 20, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »
What happened to the Lake Omeo idea?  It seemed good.  It would be an alternative site to race.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1652 on: March 20, 2011, 11:23:40 PM »
Just bring the tin cigar to B'ville. Someone will tell u what u need to do to go faster.

Advice is free after u get  there. Frequently parts are also.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1653 on: March 21, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »
What happened to the Lake Omeo idea?  It seemed good.  It would be an alternative site to race.

Been a wet year , and it sounds like it needs a little prep, our car has a ride height of 1&1/2 inch.....I dunno if we could race there....

http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1518

Just bring the tin cigar to B'ville. Someone will tell u what u need to do to go faster.
Advice is free after u get  there. Frequently parts are also.
FREUD

I think know most of what we need to do, it's mostly grunt work now......hey ,advice is free here too....after the last few years I'm leaning toward advice I have to pay for...... whereas parts?, chuck 'em here :evil: :evil:

It is Drier in Phoenix  :-P

that's good , we need to dry out the area behind our ears.... :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1654 on: March 21, 2011, 11:13:37 AM »
Betcha Elmo Rodge would have a close guess how much horsepower Jack had with the E motor.  I get sad every time I think of Jack, as I'm sure a lot of others do, too.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #1655 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:21 PM »
With respect to the Kelly family, I was thinking of another Jack.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:58:43 PM by wolbrink471 »
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline maj

« Reply #1656 on: March 21, 2011, 08:01:05 PM »

That one i am very interested in getting off the ground ... hopefully my minor El Mirage experiance can help get something going that could be comparable in setup and results ,
Local townsfolk are keen for something to happen and bring some extra money into the town .
We had several senior members go there lately and i expect we would have had a report during the AGM at L Gairdiner ..

Offline Tman

« Reply #1657 on: March 21, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »

And who says it was coming straight back. :roll:

Gentlemen, Ladies, we officially have a dream.

I can now start planning the next few years of living. with purpose.

Dik

I love that quote!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1658 on: March 22, 2011, 02:23:57 AM »
I know it's early but I said we would re-gear the car this year. No time like the present for a ceremonial opening of a worm can.

I took the ten bolt centre and pinion around to the Colonel's house , we wanted to see whether they would fit in a Borg Warner pumpkin like the one we have in the car......wishful thinking. The pinions are very similar but the Torsen centre has more off-set than the Ford LSD and it won't fly. We will have to cut the centre out and flange the ten bolt pumpkin so it can be bolted into the car and use the Ford axles and tubes.......

If that sounds strange it is because the rear axle assembly is solid mounted and held around the axle tubes by triangles which are welded to the rear bulkhead, as it is the tubes seem pretty true, I'm not in any hurry to to that job again because the success of the job was most likely a hefty helping of luck with a dash of good management. ....so, we are hoping to just replace the pumpkin and leave the Ford tubes in place...that takes care of any C clip issues too.

On another front I managed to tidy up the shed and throw out some crap while unpacking everything from the trailer, the shed seems twice the size....and parts will be easier to find, for a while.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1659 on: March 22, 2011, 02:31:17 AM »
the shed seems twice the size....and parts will be easier to find, for a while.

Except for the parts that you accidentally threw out...

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #1660 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58:15 PM »
B-Ville, yeah, it'd be a shame not to make the pilgrimage at least once before you park the car.  :-D

I hear ya about the rigid mount on the rear axle, I've got the same issue (but I've been scheming a way around it, my axle unbolts from the chassis though).

Let us all know what you figure out on running out of revs, it does seem peculiar with all the care spent on the build, preperation and planning.  :?
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1661 on: March 23, 2011, 03:16:28 AM »
Let us all know what you figure out on running out of revs, it does seem peculiar with all the care spent on the build, preperation and planning.  :?

Huh? Care?
The engine.
No, I built the engine

And I was kinda pleased when it didn't blow up  :cheers:

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1662 on: March 23, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »
It is a big sigh of relief when you can get them off the DYNO without blowing up and they did some nice big numbers.  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1663 on: March 23, 2011, 06:27:19 PM »
B-Ville, yeah, it'd be a shame not to make the pilgrimage at least once before you park the car.  :-D

Park the car, Erik? I cannot envision that for a while as long as we are both in good health! Too many things to be done on the car, too many different engines to think about, then there's meth, blowers, different paint schemes, and too many records to go for.

Then there is the "second incarnation." Just like the original So-Cal tank turned Streamliner we have plans to build a streamliner body for the girl once she is sorted (and we have time). I have done a number of cursory sketches and research and think it will be a cool looking thing. I plan to make it with a series of cad cam cut plywood lofts skinned with something interesting.

Given that in the 5 and a half years we have been writing this build diary we have had 3 washouts of the event it might take us quite a long time to do all the combinations and permutations there are...

A long way before we park it indeed. One further hitch is it looks like I'll be moving to China for a couple of years which will limit hands on time, but design time can be done anywhere.

rH+
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:34:00 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Tman

« Reply #1664 on: March 23, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
China? What kinda job takes a guy to China?