Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3198622 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1680 on: April 08, 2011, 02:27:07 AM »
A thought about compression ratios in the nines and I know you guys want to run at B'ville as contenders.  The first Triumph build had a 9.2 to 1 static compression ratio near sea level.  I felt comfortable with that ratio.  The dynamic ratio near sea level was 8.6 to 1.  The engine was weak on the salt.  One of the reasons was this.  The dynamic ratio at B'ville was only 7.7 to 1.  The thin air is the culprit.

The compression ratio was raised during the next build to 10.5 to 1 static and 9.2 to 1 dynamic ratios near sea level.  This works OK at lower elevations.  The important thing is what happens at B'ville. The dynamic ratio at the high salt flat altitude is 8.4 to 1.  This is similar to the old motor at sea level.

In other words, an engine that runs comfortably with a static ratio in the nines near sea level should run well on the salt with a higher static compression ratio, possibly in the tens.  It would not need the stronger crank, rods, etc.  Something to think about.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1681 on: April 08, 2011, 03:30:21 AM »
That is exactly the kind of thinking we like to hear, thanks Walrus for your input. We shall think about it indeed.

d

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1682 on: April 10, 2011, 11:19:08 PM »
In other words, an engine that runs comfortably with a static ratio in the nines near sea level should run well on the salt with a higher static compression ratio, possibly in the tens.  It would not need the stronger crank, rods, etc.  Something to think about.[

Yeah that's right but right now we have a bottom end that was bought as an unfinished project( unstarted) for the grand total of $500, If we could find pistons for it that allowed us the luxury of choosing the comp they would be somewhere between twice and three times that price.

There is an irrefutable argument that we would be better off building the engine we need in the endas we would be saving money.That irrefutable argument ignores two ever present realities. The first is we don't have that money, we're dreaming about freehold on a higher purchase budget. The second ultimate truth is we don't know everything: we might break something very, very expensive through a simple and inexpensive part letting us down...........The experience is invaluable......or should I say pricelessand each year we are nailing down the ancillaries to keep the show on the road....this year the Colonel made a bigger sump, it seemed to keep everything under control during the dyno work that was done....

The experience is something we are slowly compiling.......If someone can just casually slip me the list of what we should do
I'll send it back later with adjustments..... There are any number of package builds here for these motors....none of them serve up what we need though.....most of them are turbo builds or strokers.....they are built for the quarter and run out of puff at 6 grand, and they cost more than we have spent in the last two years..... there is of course just one other minor issue( doth thou detect a hint of tharcathm?)....they are all the later series motor....won't fit our heads, won't fit our flywheel.....not yet sure if they'll fit our car...but hey....

Sure I can understand that from a distance we just flappin' around in the dust but....we are getting somewhere......but that won't be Bonneville next year......and it won't be this motor, but it will be one like it. :wink:

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1683 on: April 13, 2011, 04:44:39 AM »
And if some one could slip me a list of where we could keep all these motors :-D

My dad loaned me some frequent flyer points
So I just booked my tickets and I am coming over again for Speedweek and BUB.
And all I need to do is organise the rental car. and some T shirts from the meeting that never was
I might even try and work out where Wayno lives.

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1684 on: April 13, 2011, 08:22:20 AM »
And all I need to do is organise the rental car. and some T shirts from the meeting that never was

Time to hide the homebrew, Wayno.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1685 on: April 13, 2011, 09:03:31 AM »

Time to hide the homebrew, Wayno.
Sounds like I'd better fire up another batch.  :roll:  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1686 on: April 14, 2011, 01:45:12 AM »
New Batch? Hell, I never got to sample the previous one..... :mrgreen: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1687 on: April 14, 2011, 09:16:01 AM »
Wayno, I prefer the dark brews so as long as you are at it....  :wink:
Maybe it is time to start a small production facility.
 :cheers:

Oh, Graham welcome back, if you are bringing shirts, 2 XLs for me, can paypal now or pay on the salt.  check priceline for a name your own price rental car... start low.... $10 a day or less, where are you flying in to?

Doc, motor opinions are not like a$$holes, most people have several...  :roll:  build what you can afford, that you think will do the job

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1688 on: April 14, 2011, 10:10:16 AM »
build what you can afford, that you think will do the job

My Good Dr G

I think you got that wrong---should be:

Build what you think you can afford-----THAT will do the job
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1689 on: April 14, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »
Maybe it is time to start a small production facility.

Oh, Graham welcome back, if you are bringing shirts, 2 XLs for me, can paypal now or pay on the salt.  check priceline for a name your own price rental car... start low.... $10 a day or less, where are you flying in to?

Doc, motor opinions are not like a$$holes, most people have several...  :roll:  build what you can afford, that you think will do the job

Stainless

Yes , I will be bringing T-Shirts, it's just a shame I can't bring some of my own home brew. I've got a couple of hundred bottles here.
And my own car, but I just can't get it my luggage. And it has a bit of a salt phobia. In fact I will not even drive it down a road that has the word beach in it.
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1690 on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:54 PM »
a good mate would look at me drinking Tooheys Old, a dark ale they make in New South Wales and say " I dunno why you drink that stuff, I mean, where does the brown stuff go, huh?, it doesn't come out....they'll open you up when you're dead and you'll be jammed full of that sh**"

My favorite beer is Abbottsford Invalid Stout, they turn the barley into charcoal for that stuff it's a four course meal in a glass......

Actually The Colonel builds what I can afford.......

Quote from: Colonelbrewenstein

Yes , I will be bringing T-Shirts, it's just a shame I can't bring some of my own home brew. I've got a couple of hundred bottles here.

yeah, he's left all number of things at my place ,apple cider( dry, got legless) ginger beer...(strange ,worked) and regular beer(very good it worked too).....so, if yer givin it away Colonel... :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Online racergeo

« Reply #1691 on: April 15, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »

Belly up ta da cash machine Dr. cause if your comin to Americian salt you'll need 500 ponies. Heres the E-Bay # for the necessary bullet. 170627407218. Anything less then 2 HP per C.I. is a wheezer!! You have three days to to convince the PM and her mate to give you a government performance grant in order to "whip the yanks"  :lol:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1692 on: April 15, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »
Winning is expensive or very expensive.  The cost can be kept down by fully understanding the challenge.  This is the track, environment, competition, rules, etc.  This creates a focus so the effort is spent on the important things.  Advice is important too.  The ability to benefit from others experience prevents the relearning of costly lessons.  Time is good.  It allows a person to shop around and to get good prices.  Help is important, too.  It is very hard to go it alone.

These folks from AUS can come here and win.  No doubt.  They need constructive advice and encouragement.  Our low bucks racing fraternity can give it.   We do a lot on a little every day.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1693 on: April 15, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
Doc, drinking dark beer is the only way you know all your parts are still working.... If you drink that yellow beer and you pee yellow are you sure your filters are working  :| no, but when you drink the dark and pee yellow you know your body is operating properly.  :-D  It is about keeping healthy ... not to mention that flavor thing....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #1694 on: April 15, 2011, 11:03:58 PM »
Doc, drinking dark beer is the only way you know all your parts are still working.... If you drink that yellow beer and you pee yellow are you sure your filters are working  :| no, but when you drink the dark and pee yellow you know your body is operating properly.  :-D  It is about keeping healthy ... not to mention that flavor thing....

You sir are a sage!