Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3198490 times)

Offline Sideshow

• New folks
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #2070 on: August 27, 2011, 06:09:32 AM »
OK, enough of the touchy feely..........
Colonel, get thinkin' Rev, get drawin'....this has to be built in a month......

Someone had to say it :roll: Looks like good times had by all :cheers:

A month? Jeebus...

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #2071 on: August 27, 2011, 08:22:34 AM »
Anyone have connections in the Reality TV trades?  Dr. Goggles, the Colonel, & The Rev prepping for and coming to Bonneville every year?  I'll trade most of the current ones we have now for one season of that trio. 
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline dw230

« Reply #2072 on: August 27, 2011, 12:54:12 PM »
First,

"The hotel welcomes you with two margaritas and two draft beers at the Liberty Bar across the street.  This is Nevada hospitality a notch or two above Bendover."

I can't believe that in 45+ years I have missed this deal. Hard to get the White Goose Bar Caravan(7 vehicles and trailers this year) to stop when we roll.

It was my pleasure to meet our friends from the other Hemisphere. I am so very glad I didn't miss this group. Lets make sure we spend more time together next time. Let me know the evening plans so I can join up after I leave the salt.

We are easy to find, the last American flag as you head out to lands end.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2073 on: August 27, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »
Anyone have connections in the Reality TV trades?  Dr. Goggles, the Colonel, & The Rev prepping for and coming to Bonneville every year?  I'll trade most of the current ones we have now for one season of that trio. 

The big trick would be finding someone who could translate for the closed captioning . . . :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2074 on: August 27, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
OK, I skipped church this morning.........

I started by taking off the spring mounts....front ,

then rear...

Then I got a piece of angle to clamp the ends to......

couldn't find a string line....

chucked the tank bottom on for a look..hmmmm,

Next I had to separate the frame rails....occupational health and safety warning here: potential hazard involving waking people up as it's still before 9 on a Sunday morning

Now for a trial ...they fit best backwards as I will need a kick up at the front....

yep, that's the job.....

Now , you may be wondering why, when it all looks like it's going so well , I'm sitting at the computer. well I figured it'd be a good idea to get some concrete blocks to sit the wheels on so I could slide the half tank underneath.....they aren't that heavy but something went weird so now my back needs a rest after a bit of a spasm.... anyway, back to the build.............

So after putting it on the blocks and popping the tank underneath It's lookin' like it might be a goer.....

but we're still a long way from home.......

Hey Sparky I caught up with Mark Ferrie the guy in that video you like last night , " Mark you **** I've come to collect, I've got you another 100 or so hits on one of your songs from a link on a car site", predictably he was curious , but a little slow to whip out the check-book.........

The big trick would be finding someone who could translate for the closed captioning . . . :-D

Next time I come to Bonneville I'll have a little video screen attached to my chest that translates what I'm trying to say into the "lokel" dialect

.....the best bit would be the "making of" video , we're much more polite to each other in public.
OK, enough of the touchy feely..........
Colonel, get thinkin' Rev, get drawin'....this has to be built in a month......
A month? Jeebus...

28 days from today........save the laughter, there'll be some ups and downs in the mean time. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Sideshow

• New folks
« Reply #2075 on: August 27, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »
stroke of luck with the rail profile by the looks :mrgreen:

I give up. 28 days till???

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2076 on: August 27, 2011, 10:58:25 PM »

I give up. 28 days till???

The Chopped Rod and Kustom Show at Newstead..... http://www.chopped.com.au/category/events/

With the rails sitting about where I thought they should be I did a quick check , admittedly I'm not all that familiar with one but there's a first time for everything so I got out a tape measure..... you might notice it is in millimetres , they are units used to measure cheese but for now they'll do just fine.....

180 here....

hang on, 180 here too.....

Now, let me guess, 180 there too?...now that's just gotta be a coincidence... :cheers: :cheers:

......after that little success I took of the cable brake gear so as to get a clearer run at things......

more to come......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2077 on: August 28, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
So you put it together backwards, and it all measures up square!?!?

Makes one wonder if Ford did something wrong the first time around!  :lol:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2078 on: August 28, 2011, 08:46:03 PM »
I got a little further into it yesterday before an old mate from interstate dropped in unannounced which was good ,and bad, because i was "in the zone".......

here's the front of the rails set up giving me an idea of where to set the perch up.....

I had a choice of using either of them because I probably won't suspend the rear....the advantage of the rear version is it is a bit flatter, but at the same time it is a little broader and the U bolts are spaced a bit wider.

Here I've notched out the frame rails onto the perch. In a handy turn of events there is a heavy piece of plate used as the shock mount inside the rail that you can see for the rear axle so I worked it so that would be the part that I weld to the perch........and no, that is not the finished arrangement, I'd hope to at least get the gaps in the region of an inch :roll: :roll:

I haven't got any gas for the hot wrench so I'll be waiting til next weekend to split the wishbone, no I'm not going to pie cut it....I just don't like the idea of that, it looks crummy and there's the dressing up of the welds whereas I've seen these 'bones ( they're half the weight of a Full size 36 Ford or the like) just done with a torch and they look natural and are plenty strong as long as they cool slowly.

I will have to run the drag link straight through the rails but I'm yet to decide exactly how I'll set up the Steering box....

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2079 on: August 28, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »
Thats the best use of a Ford 10 I've ever seen, I think the Pom's built em to be a donor.
Looks like the Holden tree is coming along pretty good mate, must be feeding it the right brew.
  Sid.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #2080 on: August 28, 2011, 10:39:14 PM »
Thats the best use of a Ford 10 I've ever seen, I think the Pom's built em to be a donor.
Looks like the Holden tree is coming along pretty good mate, must be feeding it the right brew.
  Sid.

Yep
They grow on trees around Sunshine
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2081 on: August 29, 2011, 12:13:04 AM »
  Sid.

Yeah I use a bio-dynamic mix of diff oil and schutz and mulch it with broken Ford parts, but the big news is yesterday I harvested it and put the crop away to cure...... that translates to ...."can you take those grills off the fig tree and put them behind the shed, PLEASE"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2082 on: August 29, 2011, 12:43:36 AM »
Tough being an autohorticulturistst these days.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2083 on: August 30, 2011, 12:26:57 PM »
If it ever dies, you could cut it up & have Kingswood for the fire place. Most people over here won't catch the pun in that one mate.
  Sid.

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #2084 on: August 30, 2011, 09:31:28 PM »
That would be a "Premier" piece of wood..... :roll: