Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3198699 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1875 on: May 29, 2011, 07:57:29 AM »
No this is some thing very different
G

Indeed.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1876 on: May 29, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »
For the size of that booger he should be able to strap it to his belly quite nicely. :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1877 on: May 29, 2011, 09:16:10 AM »
I think they're reinventing the wheel -

http://www.shrinerminicars.com/Tanker.html

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1878 on: May 29, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »
MM...calling things small....and he had the cheek to send me this..

Now, Colonel I distinctly remember you saying'

"I'm going to use this leaky old propane torch turned up to full-whack to melt the solder join, you man the extinguisher, when I nod my head , you squirt it ok?"

and when I squirted you through the toilet window that was just a accidental mis-firing and it was the Reverends idea.......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1879 on: May 29, 2011, 06:14:56 PM »
Quote from: Dr Goggles

and when I squirted you through the toilet window that was just a accidental mis-firing and it was the Reverends idea.......

So are you saying I should have tested the rest of the extinguisher on the Rev and not you?
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1880 on: May 29, 2011, 10:33:29 PM »
Ahh, shucks - I'm just jealous - the way my suppliers are acting, you'll probably be rolling before I am. 

And you'll probably have more head room.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1881 on: May 29, 2011, 10:37:48 PM »
MM, you forgot go faster  :evil:

Hey it's their thread.... I won't bad mouth you too much on your own thread  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1882 on: May 29, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »
OK, enough of the jocularity and hilarity.

On Sat there was a pow-wow at the Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Workshop and Possum Park, all the big names were there. After last weekends buy of the Ford Prefect there was a surge of enthusiasm about the "little" tank ..... The Rev is in the country for a few short weeks before loading the wagon and taking the good Lady Hedgash and their wee one Von Pomborneit to China, The Colonel is at a loose end as his test driver and resident nightowl tears it up in Venice . So we got together for a collective chin rub over the parts that we hope to merge into one .

Compared to the Canberra tank that the Spirit of Sunshine is made from it was a fairly simple process to drill out the copper rivets and then release the solder join with a propane torch......Steel?, copper?, solder?   this thing was like it came from the mid 19th century compared to the Canberra tank which was like a spaceship inside with it's pressed al bulkeads, adhesives and liberal use of titanium.

The Rev rolled out a piece of plan paper and took an outline drawing of one half of the tank, from there he'll be able to generate a 3d model in CAD and the styling process can begin.

Then our attention turned to the Prefect. We removed the torque tube and then  lifted the motor out we lopped of the rear legs of the chassis behind the rear spring perch and dropped the body off,I'd be surprised if the whole chassis, suspension , steering and wheels weighed more than 250lbs, I could easily lift the front .....we rolled it off the truck and out into the back yard.

We discussed the various options we have motor wise, whether we'd be better to connect the secondary drive of a bike engine to the diff via a tailshaft or whether we centralize it and use another chain.

We looked at the chassis itself and saw that the rails may be more use to us turned front to back. There was discussion as to whether we could run the rails outsidethe tank body.......there's a lot yet to be settled upon.

Yesterday I managed to secret the rolling chassis behind the shed, start drawing Rev.

Now on the real topic of this thread is Australian Bellytank. I collected the differential housing and the insert peieces that were turned up for us.Bar one minor hiccup ( both inserts have a step to stop them going too far into the housing, we'll need to remove one to give us enough back and forward movement to assemble it all in-situ)it looks like it will all go together but I will need to make up a puller that will allow us to pull the inserts into the axle tubes as they are ever so slighty oval and the inserts need a little encouragement , the inserts are a warm fit into the housing.......I think we have another appt with the propane torch and the extinguisher Grumm. :wink:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:50:16 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1883 on: May 30, 2011, 04:18:53 AM »
you nod your head
and I'll hit it

anyhow
I just got home from one of my part time jobs
I work occasionally here, and occasionally there
The workshop I was at today works on an odd mix of bikes. Italian and English
Second job in the morning after pushing the bikes out, clean the oil off the concrete
So today I serviced a fly by wire bike, and then got stuck into a HRD
V twin engines lying around everywhere
G
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:31:50 AM by grumm441 »
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Sideshow

• New folks
« Reply #1884 on: June 04, 2011, 06:29:33 AM »
Phew :-o Now that was a mission! 126 pages. At least 2 weeks, at times I couldn't concentate at work and the boys got the shits with me not helping out! Couldn't get away from the thread. An inspirational read, with highs, lows, and high highs! Now I blame you blokes as well as Rob for my new found addiction! Must get to the salt, must get to the salt... Did I say INSPIRATIONAL yet???

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1885 on: June 05, 2011, 02:23:02 AM »
Blinkin' 'eck! two weeks!...........do your lips move when you read???.....nah just kidding Sideshow, thanks for the attention, you can thank your lucky stars that we started the diary when the car was two thirds built.....we spent nearly two years mucking around before we started the thing proper.....The very first photo shows the car with some body work sitting on it and the front of the build jig already cut away.........We'd been at it for about eight months I think by that time,up to four solid days a week.....

I couldn't do quite what we did again, I doubt that any of us could.

It was therapeutic and we made some great friends and learnt a whole lot of stuff.

Welcome to the forum.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1886 on: June 05, 2011, 01:24:42 PM »
What you say is what I feel, too.  I would not have started my build if I knew it would take five years to go over 130 mph.  At the same time, I have no regrets.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1887 on: June 05, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »
Thanks for perservering all the way through Sideshow (Bob?). There is a lot of off topic gumpf in the topic but it is a diary and we reckon it means just that. Ups, downs, whats going on as well as the build of our tank. I feel bad for not putting more tech stuff in it and shall endeavour to try to continue the explanatory stuff of why we did something a certain way (whether it is right or wrong you be the judge).

I am glad you are inspired and not put off. If there is a greatest reward for this project it is not just the satisfaction of building the old girl in our trilogy of design; fast-safe-beautiful, but rather the hope it gives others to get motivated.

If a musician and a puppeteer/architect can build one, then you can too. No special budget, no racing family. Just time and commitment.

When I was single, going over to stew's most weekends was easy. Now I'm a dad with a cattle farm and regularly going to China for work, finding those weekends are very hard which is very sad as a lot more effort has been put on Dr G's and the Colonel's shoulders (which I thank them for greatly for keeping the project moving). The one saving grace is that most of the work in the past year has been engine work which I am not much use for (but am learning) .

So Sideshow, find a friend and start dreaming. How fast do you want to go? (My suggestion is that there are some soft records out there for the smaller classes. Cheaper, safer and easier to get to...)

Dik
aka rH+

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1888 on: June 05, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »
Am I cursed?

Why did I tell anyone I was going to Bonneville for Speedweek?

There seems to be nothing about the lake condition yet.............

A little bird just told me there is a very heavy snow load on the surrounding mountains.....and that the lake is still underwater , is there any perspective from those who went through the 82 ,83 cancellations who can offer me a price on a blow-out? 10/1....20/1???????

It'd be four out of six meets in five years for me. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline Tman

« Reply #1889 on: June 05, 2011, 10:24:54 PM »
In the West our wet winters are often followed byu dry summers. Keep the faith my good man.  :cheers: