Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3198722 times)

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1665 on: March 23, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
Architecture.

I'm currently designing an exhibition centre in the shape of 3 x 30metre (8 storey) lotus flowers sitting on an 20 000m2 artificial lake in Wujin, 3 hours west of Shanghai.

They don't do things by halves let me tell you, and they want things done fast.

So Mrs H+ and I are heading there with our 22month old daughter to set up our office in Wujin to better manage this and other projects and to try to get others.

We both want an adventure and with the changing status of China it is an adventurous place to be.

Zaijian

Dik

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1666 on: March 23, 2011, 09:25:59 PM »
The thing with China is that they can reproduce anything - but they have to get the ideas from somewhere else. 

Point of fact - try to name an indigenous Chinese brand that sells outside of China.

:roll:

I'm still waiting.

Congrats and good luck to the three of you.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1667 on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:31 PM »
I wonder if there are any abandoned airfields nearby?    :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1668 on: March 23, 2011, 09:58:18 PM »
I wonder if there are any abandoned airfields nearby?    :mrgreen:

Mike

Don't worry, I'll be looking! There are definately salt lakes there.

Private car ownership is expanding very quickly, but there is very little hot rodding or classic car culture. Grand Prix and racing developing though.

Each time I visit I have a driver take me the three hours from Shanghai to Wujin. Although the sign says 120kph, he is often driving at 160kph (100mph) and not in a straight line. We weave in and out of big blue trucks and buses all the way, often on the wrong side, regularly having to brake fast. Someone reminded me that they are all beginner drivers of less than 3 years experience typically as that is only when they when cars opened up.

It may cure me of my need for speed...

dik

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:22:59 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Tman

« Reply #1669 on: March 23, 2011, 10:18:05 PM »

Offline Geo

« Reply #1670 on: March 23, 2011, 10:55:22 PM »
China? What kinda job takes a guy to China?

Car job took me to China for quite a while in the later half of the 90's. I was on a team of 4 who set up a car dealership and got things going. Very different. Rev there are a few givens...

Nothing is real unless you can touch it.

Ring around the rosey.

Do not ask what you are, will be, have just eaten until the next day.

Never take photos of trains, army people or vehicles or most of all air force items.

There are more, many more.

Keep an eye on each other as the 6th to 9 month period is when people go crazy.  You make it or you do not and go home.

I wonder if there are any abandoned airfields nearby?

If you investigate, you will find out more about the inside of a jail.

Pretend it's not there.

Geo

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #1671 on: March 24, 2011, 12:01:25 AM »
Let us all know what you figure out on running out of revs, it does seem peculiar with all the care spent on the build, preperation and planning.  :?

Huh? Care?
The engine.
No, I built the engine

And I was kinda pleased when it didn't blow up  :cheers:

G

Okay, I posted earlier from my phone, aparently it doesn't like doing that when using a quote.  :?

I understand that sentiment entirely, I have the same feeling after running in an engine I've built.

B-Ville, yeah, it'd be a shame not to make the pilgrimage at least once before you park the car.  :-D

Park the car, Erik? I cannot envision that for a while as long as we are both in good health! Too many things to be done on the car, too many different engines to think about, then there's meth, blowers, different paint schemes, and too many records to go for.

Then there is the "second incarnation." Just like the original So-Cal tank turned Streamliner we have plans to build a streamliner body for the girl once she is sorted (and we have time). I have done a number of cursory sketches and research and think it will be a cool looking thing. I plan to make it with a series of cad cam cut plywood lofts skinned with something interesting.

Given that in the 5 and a half years we have been writing this build diary we have had 3 washouts of the event it might take us quite a long time to do all the combinations and permutations there are...

A long way before we park it indeed. One further hitch is it looks like I'll be moving to China for a couple of years which will limit hands on time, but design time can be done anywhere.

rH+

Yeah, and I hope it's not "parked" for a long time either, but our time on this spinning ball of mud is limited, and can go without warning (lost a few I know recently, but didn't want to be quite so blatant about it ;) ).

Glad to hear the thought of "further development" is still "in the works". :D

Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1672 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:50 AM »
These are some photo's taken by Don Noble's face book page, who came over form NZ and was stuck at the Lake Gairdiner until the road opened. Thanks Don.
G

The Lake

And the road in and out. Bear in mind it is about 100 miles of this
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline racergeo

« Reply #1673 on: March 24, 2011, 11:13:27 AM »
 :lol:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1674 on: April 06, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »
OK, since the 2011 racing season ended with a muffled whimper I have been sort of busy.....

I'd been going hard at it, by the last week before we were to leave we had the motor on the dyno for three days , it started by demolishing the rockers we'd had put together ( brought from the US , then extensive machine work AND the construction of a pedestal mount to set them at the correct angles that the V6 needs... in hindsight it seems that the cam we had had so much lift that the rockers bodies were bottoming on the pedestals , distorting the rocker and allowing the bearing shells to walk out. After about five minutes cycling up to about 3000rpm it started running rough, then dropping a few pots.After removing the rocker covers we found needle rollers and bearing caps floating around but nothing savaged.We went home that night. I was directed to stay at ground central( Jim's possum park, bellytank laboratory and towing service) as I was better put to use there packing the truck and generally getting ready for the race meet which was now looking a little beyond our grasp.The Colonel had a set of SBC rockers, we also had the rockers that had originally come with the new heads I bought last year.He spent another two days there with Ian and Matt and as posted earlier squeezed around 311hp out of it...just to refresh the build has cast pistons, a stock crank that has been balanced with the full rotating assembly, the heads are ported by a workshop in Sydney well known for their drag motors but most particularly for getting big flow figures where others thought the limit had been reached.The heads were built for a turbo motor , the comp is 9.6:1.

Thursday morning the motor arrived at Sunshine and we got cracking, we'd hoped to leave Friday morning but with things as they were, the Colonel presenting as distinctly unwell and there being a "cloud" over the event we were secretly thinking we had at least another day in it.By 4pm we had it in the car and turning over, then running.

This motor turns hydrocarbons into noise better than last years motor that's for sure...... A sweet but brutal sound with a shrill tearing sound at about 3 grand.....the administrator wasn't happy that we hadn't warned the aging neighbours.........

We had a beer , the Colonel went, the Rev and I got the car onto the truck.....for goodness sake IT'S A TOW TRUCK!!!!!! it felt like we were trying to drag a two ton whale into a canoe......Pete's trailer that we used to use was a cakewalk.

I was up at the crack and continued on packing the truck and trailer.....14 hours or something , I was ruined ....come Saturday morning I was sort of shell shocked , ate breakfast staggered out there and started organising tools and spares....by about 10am I was looking like I could leave........

10.45 the call came through from Dirty Dave , it was off.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1675 on: April 06, 2011, 07:59:05 PM »
The heads were built for a turbo motor , the comp is 9.6:1.

What kind of octane do you have available?  Is it a future strategy that's keeping you from bumping up the CR? 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1676 on: April 06, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »
What kind of octane do you have available?  Is it a future strategy that's keeping you from bumping up the CR? 

We can get pretty much anything you guys can wallet willing.

I have fielded varied criticism about the specs of the motor we have put together this time around.

Jack Dolan was the one who encouraged us to build a motor with a long duration cam, compression that was in the nines and heads that would flow .

We can up the comp with forged custom pistons, get a forged crank, get some tough rods........brother can ya loan me a dime?

We have over 300hp at 6300rpm , with the gearing we had last year we need about 6700rpm. with the new rear set we will do 200 at about 5850rpm.

The two years we have run I have clocked 160.xx and 193.xxx , both times the revs matched the speed EXACTLY. the first year we did it with a tired 200,000mile motor with cleaned up heads.

Last year we did the 193 with a motor that was terminally out of balance.Either way we are a long way from "hitting the wall"

The motor that has just come off the dyno makes all the power we need to do 200, and a bit more. We have a very , very clean shape ........we built the motor that we could afford, that would do what we needed it to do, and would last.It did 30 pulls over 6 grand and the oil looked fine, everything looked AOK.

If we built a motor with much higher comp, we would have more work tuning it, it would have cost a LOT more , may not have lasted due to the increased internal stresses and , hey, we mighten't have finished it........this, is all I can afford....and that's pretty much the nub of it.

Why don't we just get a small block , it's easy to get 500hp out of 'em, while we're there we might as well get an old dragster, yeah, then we'd be onto something............. :wink: :wink: :wink:

My motivations for being in this are varied, and so are those of the Rev and the Colonel.We built a car that we hoped would marry old school charm and incorporate the later requirements of safety and that it would also be built specifically as a land speed car, aerodynamic and properly so.( I steer clear of commenting as much as I can , but most people miss this crucial point). We are confident that we have done pretty well on those counts. kepping engines up to the car is an expensive and complicated issue that would be easier if we had a business in the game, or piles of money....we ain't got neither.

So, what we are trying to do is let our capabilities tame our ambition. We are creeping up slowly on what I see as one of the attainable records in Special Construction.We may never get there, but in the mean time we'll be racing.......faster than many, for less than most. :wink:

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Geo

« Reply #1677 on: April 06, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »
My motivations for being in this are varied, and so are those of the Rev and the Colonel.We built a car that we hoped would marry old school charm and incorporate the later requirements of safety and that it would also be built specifically as a land speed car, aerodynamic and properly so.( I steer clear of commenting as much as I can , but most people miss this crucial point). We are confident that we have done pretty well on those counts. kepping engines up to the car is an expensive and complicated issue that would be easier if we had a business in the game, or piles of money....we ain't got neither.

So, what we are trying to do is let our capabilities tame our ambition. We are creeping up slowly on what I see as one of the attainable records in Special Construction.We may never get there, but in the mean time we'll be racing.......faster than many, for less than most. wink

You guys have a great outlook, wonderful team camaraderie, one of the best thought out speed pursuits. I am enjoying your adventure and wish I could help more! All the best to all of you. My heart fell when I heard about the cancellation. Keep after it. I feel you are about to achieve balance in all aspects of your life!  200 mph+! What will that feel like? I'm pulling for you all! Thanks for bringing us along!

Geo

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1678 on: April 07, 2011, 05:10:10 AM »
So anyway, the call came through and we weren't going.....man, It's like Christmas has been canceled ....despite it having being too wet for three out of the last five years it still hurts, well, not so much hurts as leaves a real big hole.

Deep down there is also a sigh of relief, all the unknowns become knowns, all the hard work that we were about to have to do after the exhausting weeks that had just been ....didn't have to happen. In the short term that is relief. Who knows what it was going to be like driving the 3 litre 4 cylinder diesel with very short diff for four days at 50mph ......

The car still had the mysterious hang up at 6400rpm , without borrowing some 30 inch tyres it wasn't gonna do 200........ I was taking the little "cheater" mudguards to put us in streamliner class ....but that's not really the main game is it?

So, we went to the Sunshine Community festival....... the following is an extract from an email I sent the Milwaukee Midget .....

After collecting our thoughts we took a walk down to the Sunshine street festival. Sunshine has people from just about every country on earth and some others as well which is one of the big reasons "hers" and I love it so much...we started at the dance stage. The compere was Rod Quantock and well known left of centre comedian ...there were Ukrainian dance groups, Macedonians( with the struttingest young buck in a fuzzy white hat playing a drum), the Serbs, Koreans, Phillipino's....Quantock was taking the piss perfectly, vox-popping passers by...everybody was laughing it really was fantastic. We went and had some food (Indian)and wandered back...this time there were awe struck kids with their faces gyroscopically trained on a certain part of the crowd as they sort of danced, a guy with a knife , a girl with an umbrella and then, the square dancers.

Quantock introduced The Silver Spinners' Square dancing as "sort of walking to music, or rolling"...just as we noticed two of the square dancers were in wheel chairs.There was an old lady with grey tightly curled hair and REALLY bandy legs in a circle skirt that was hitched under her tits ....she danced like a maniac, a fat lady with a hot pink tank-top and a floral skirt who struggled to keep up and who's face got redder and redder and the "young thing" who was , I overheard, 33...she had "the moves". She had a leopard print circle skirt with short bloomers underneath, teeth pointing in every direction and perfectly greasy hair.That was the women. There was a guy with a mauve shirt ....and no teeth, a youngfella who nodded continually and a plodding old duffer with his pants hitched under his armpits.The wheelchair folk parked in the corner and the show began. At first the mixer didn't have the caller's mike up loud enough but that was quickly sorted....he had absolutely no tonal control over his voice at all, but continued to sing over the music while calling the steps.

At the end of the first number the "young thing" , with her back to the audience , scratched her arse...and I don't mean her cheeks..

I turned at one point and caught the eye of a really hip looking black woman beside me and we just cracked up. This was the only thing that white Anglo's had been involved in , and didn't they put on a show.....we had to retreat to a distance where we could laugh. If the Cohen brothers had cast it it wouldn't have been as weird I swear.

From there we wandered around the corner and caught the Hip-Hop stage."Hers" has had 12 nationalities in her class at times and being an emergency teacher has taught heaps of local kids so of course there's kids everywhere.."hi Dr Goggles missus( that's not really what they said but you know what I mean)!!!"...the hip-hop stage was going off....an MC about 17 who was very pro and then an all girl outfit who just dragged kids up who could really,really dance....I looked around and the audience were totally absorbed, rating everything that went down, cheering ,dissing ,there was a match-stick thin Somalian girl in a headscarf doing the maddest booty-shake , an eight year old who did a robot that was hilarious, another tiny kid doing back flips...and yet "Hers" was pointing out two kids who were pushing others to get up who she said were unbelievable dancers...it was quite emotional, it was real.

Then we went home, sat on the couch ,ate pizza and had a couple of fizzy drinks.

Tomorrow, more. :wink:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1679 on: April 08, 2011, 02:11:36 AM »
 I already had my holidays booked to go o the salt, "Hers" did too.......by lunchtime Sunday she'd found a web-site that handled "return rentals"....We'd found a 4 bed campervan that had to be returned to Alice Springs in central Australia, we'd have to pay all but $210 of the fuel bill and pay $5 perday , we took an extra day at $75.... It would be just the thing to get the driving bug out of the sytem, see Uluru(Ayres Rock) and The Alice which neither of us had done....

We left on the Thursday and headed for Port Wakefield ,it was an awful day with strong winds and driving rain. We had a "counter meal"( that's what we call a pub meal here) at Tailem Bend and then continued on for another two hours to Port Wakefield where we stopped in a truck bay for the night with a little over 500miles behind us... We were driving a brand new 4 bed on the back of a Fiat Ducato diesel with the most annoying servo operated manual transmission you could imagine...a brilliant piece of engineering that seemed to incorporate the worst aspects of auto's and manual's and none of the good points of either, but having said that , it did make an incredibly annoying beep everytime you started it to say that the stick wasn't in the right position....There were six pages about it in the manual, she asked me several times whether I had read the manual.

Why would I do that?.....

Day two was the haul from Port Wakefield to Coober Pedy passing on the way through Port Augusta which is the last town before you head to the salt...We got the few things we'd forgotten food wise and headed off. We came to the crossroads where you have a choice..."A1 Perth 1484 miles or A87 Alice Spring 762 miles"..... we turned north for the Alice  it was spitting, but most notably it was green, as far as the eye could see. This is usually very harsh , dry, red country.....

We stopped at the first lookout....and looked back toward Port Augusta , it's old country and everything is on a scale that says billions of years, we had a long way to go....we got truckin.

We stopped at Spud's roadhouse on the road into Woomera. (http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,862.465.html )....filled the tank and I had a shower.... She was elsewhere when I got back to the camper...I opened the side door and it swung all the way open and a gas strut was hanging from the bottom of it, I noticed that the cups on either end were plastic and that there was nothing to limit the door.....well , gee that was gonna last forever...it became on ongoing theme.....

"who thought that up?, gee how come that hasn't broken already?......why is that there? .....gee that looks flimsy......hey nice glass top on the cooker , who ever thought we'd need one of them in a mobile campervan?"

We stopped at The next viewing area which looks over Island Lagoon a big salt lake at the nth eastern corner of Lake Gairdner. The Woomera area is the edge of a large escarpment which delineates a huge flat plain from the slighty lower area that is the Gairdner/Port Augusta area to the south ......I was "making my way back tomy seat as She began driving ouit of the car-park, the soooooper-dooooooper transmission went through one of it's painfully drawn out gear shifts , I lurched forward and smacked my head for the third time of the day, but this time straining my neck......an old whiplash injury I got years back running out of the workshop with a welding helmet flipped up which caught the door.I was grumpy and sat in the passenger seat, It was OK that my neck was stiff as the scenery is pretty much the same in every direction...we were in the desert, the only wildlife werethe ever present Peregrine falcons, the odd crow and finches...we'd seen a bit of roadkill but nothing warm blooded that didn't have wings...we made it to Coober Pedy moments before nightfall. Coober Pedy is an outpost that began when opals were discovered....for a long time everybody lived in converted mines and the place had a reputation for lawlessness. Some people live above ground now.

The outstanding point about Coober Pedy was that the whole area was like a bowling green.......generally it is a moonscape, red dirt and thousands and thousands of pointy mullock heaps..... the only relief being broken and rusty jerry-built mining equipment.

We went and had a beer at one of the pubs, it was Friday night and there was a DJ in the lounge, the boys stood at the bar while girls danced around their handbags ....then a couple of blackfellas turned up, one of them laid on some breakdancing, every bit as good as we'd seen the previous weekend, the girls all knew him and gave him all the room he needed and a rousing round of applause as he went back to his table, they'd been tossing coins at his feet which he didn't  pick up so one of them followed him and put them on the table, he pushed them over to his friends..... It was the only pub in town, one of the girls told "Hers" that everywhere was closing at sunset because of the cost of electricity which was set to double.......

We walked back to the camper park under the brilliant desert sky ......the next morning the prop of the camper park said he hadn't seen "it 'round here like this ever and I've been here nearly thirty years"... he had hands that you could have used to grind metal and was like many names in the area from the Baltic states.

We went to the supermarket and then visited the underground Catholic church.........then we hit the road , we had eight hours of driving to get to Uluru and this ain't no country for night driving.....