Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171006 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
red dust , rough roads ,no racin'
« Reply #465 on: March 09, 2008, 03:53:27 AM »
Greeting Folks , we're back from our pilgrimage.....3000 kilometers or 1800 miles and quite a few of those were on the dirt and all of them were hot. From Melbourne it's about 13 hours drive to Lake Gairdner , we stopped in the wine making area of the Barossa Valley near Adelaide on Monday night where we had a "counter "meal with Dirty Dave and talked about the state of the nation , we had a great old laugh ....we jumped back in the Land Cruiser and headed off north towards Port Pirie where we stayed  for the night , two hundred miles short of the Lake. An hour the next morning and we were at "the Gutter" or better known as Port Augusta where we stocked up on ice , beer , some food......and filled the tank . The drive in was smoother than recent years the corrugations in the road not being continuous....and it wasn't in the low forties celcius which was a relief .  We drove straight to the salt after a brief chat with the Newtons who own the pastoral lease which covers the access to the lake . When we got there it was immediately apparent that the ramp where the usual on/off point is was unusable for vehicles as it was slushy . We got our push-bikes out and set off towards the track.it was heavy going and the tyres were flicking up a rooster tail of wet salt and water...but after about 100-150 meters the salt was hard and as we went out the sound the tyres were making became crisper and brighter . The surface had walnut sized salt growths on it which I hadn't seen before....here's a shot to give you some idea of the coarse nature of the ungraded surface ,this shot was taken about where the track would normally be.

We sat around on the salt out there and had our little spiritual moment and lamented the fact that although where we were was probably fine for racing the track further down wasn't and besides there was no way to get a vehicle onto the lake...... sad but true....

In the back of the Toyota we had some FZR wheels that my good mate Tiny ( Generator shovel on landracing.com) had bought from free-bay and seeings how we were going the long way home we thought we could take them to him in Silverton way up near Broken Hill.....and seeings how we had them we figured we'd better take a few snaps of them....kind of like a "gnomes holiday shot"...

we stayed at the members camp that night ..it was a raucous affair...lets just say when some people say they like to get away from civilization they have their own check-list.....leave the social mores behind but take a TV and a BBQ , some people seem to have a constant obsession with conquering the environment.....I copped an earful for mentioning various preferences with regard to where I stay when at Gairdner ( for the record that is next to the lake , on the sandy soil with the cold showers within walking distance of the canteen and earshot of the lake.....not at the members camp five dusty , rutted miles away with bore water showers )....... I can argue with drunk nutbags either in my line of work in the welfare sector or in my side line as a rock and roll musician so I just nodded and pretended that I was agreeing.That said it was good to see all the blokes I liked at the camp .... :roll:

The next day we headed west and north from the lake toward Woomera .  Another 160 miles of blazing hot sand road....we made a few stops like this one at the only road sign we saw...

We spotted a sturt Desert Pea the state floral emblem of South Australia a rare and beautiful little thing that grows in an environment that only salt bush seems to like....

Woomera has a history as a testing range which has also included variious tracking stations including Island Lagoon and Nurungar...there's a rocket park where we saw some genuinely wierd home made looking stuff, well it looked home made ....turns out the air-force and the Army made it .....this is called a sea slug

We stayed that night on the Northern edge of Island Lagoon...it was beautiful , the stars of course were incredible...the food, well.., the beer was cold but about two of those and it was nighty night after the hot and arduous days driving....this is a shot of Conical Hill in the north eastern arm of Island Lagoon. There are a lot of tributaries at this part of the lake and the salt as a result is just a thin crust.

I spoke to the owners of Oakden station who run the pastoral lease on the eastern edge of Island Lagoon and was told that access was very limited and the boss was too busy to guide us out there...that was the part of the lake we thought may have the kind of surface that would be suitable for a track......We drove into the homestead anyway...it was murderously hot and red sand everywhere.......I'm glad i'm not a sheep!!

We decided we'd head up to Broken Hill, another 340 miles ...lots more salt bush...it was kind of manky in the truck , could have done with a razor and a mediator at times...

At the "Hill" we headed up to Silverton and the famous Silverton Hotel ,the area where Mad MAx 2 or as you guys know it " The Road Warrior" was  filmed. Apart from being treated to a great feed of freshly caught fish we had a great nat with Chris Fraser the publican and his mate Trevor Clare who built and ran the stretched blown V8 bike at the lake ....of course Tiny showed up to collect his wheels and crap on with us , we had a great time I wish we could have stayed until Sunday when the recovery party for the Broken Hill St Patricks day races was to be held at the Pub....however while were there Chris had to exterminate some mosquitoes...he had just the thing....an 8/71 blown methanol big-block on a trolley...

the next day we drove the 560 miles to Melbourne ...once again it wasn't  freezing

gee we had a time :wink:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 03:59:50 AM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #466 on: March 09, 2008, 07:48:30 AM »
I thought you guys were gonna go downtown , but you went uptown. :?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #467 on: March 09, 2008, 09:59:53 AM »
so it would seem , so it would seem......sadly ,  well , I hate to disappoint anyone or unnecessarily raise their expectations.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #468 on: March 09, 2008, 10:54:44 AM »
so it would seem , so it would seem......sadly ,  well , I hate to disappoint anyone or unnecessarily raise their expectations.
More could do better with the study of that lesson in personnel success.
 :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #469 on: March 09, 2008, 04:23:59 PM »
Best tour of Australia that I've ever had.  Thanks for the good photos and fine commentary, Dr. G.  Some day -- some day -- Nancy and I will get there to see it all (and youse guys) in person.  In the meantime, you've given us a good hint of what to expect.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #470 on: March 09, 2008, 08:36:58 PM »
Hi Slim , apart from permanent snow lines, active volcanoes and a lot of water we've got pretty much every type of climate and terrain here however it's nearly all around the coast ,and within a couple of hundred miles of it....the other 95% OK maybe 85 is desert every time I go out there it's driven home just how big and dry it is. You could spend a year out here traveling around the coast and never get bored , but the interior is an acquired taste.....a little bit of salt helps....

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #471 on: March 09, 2008, 09:32:28 PM »
Welcome home, and thanks for the travelogue - Your descriptions are great. 

The kind of trip you just took is something that would be tough to replicate in the US anymore.  We just don't have dirt roads anymore - not to that extent.  While it's fast, quick and convenient to set the cruise control on a four-lane divided highway, you'll see the forest, but miss the trees, or the Desert Pea. 

It looks still very wild, unclaimed and untamed.  And while it would have been great to be trailering a bike or a race car, I'd say you made the best of a bad situation, and you clearly came back with some pretty cool shots and stories. 

But next year, you race.   
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #472 on: April 04, 2008, 10:39:32 PM »
Where have you blokes been---surely doesn't take a month to recuperate!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

quiet time
« Reply #473 on: April 05, 2008, 02:10:43 AM »
Crikey! can't a bloke have a little  quiet time?.....we've been doing other stuff and haven't really done that much on the 'tank....however we did get the new steering wheel back from our tame fitter and turner Vaughn with the cap that he made for it........

Ladeeeeeeeez and Genermen! I give you ( drum roll please) a home made wheel.....hewn from  half inch Al plate..........

I'm sitting here with a buzzing head , one of my earlier bands had a reunion last night ...we hadn't played for ten years , didn't have a rehearsal...just got up and went for it and no-one missed a cue....couple of hundred people ,it was a very moving experience ....it was like we'd never missed a day :wink:

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #474 on: April 05, 2008, 03:54:57 AM »
G'day thrillseekers,,,,you've done it now Doc G,,,the bush will soon be over run with revheads from the USA,,seeking to repair their souls.
My missus originates from Minnesota, and has notices a lot of OZ scenery reminds her of the USA, but adds our trees are just smaller,,as are we Aussies in general (must have a lot to do with the way we got here many years ago, if you ever tried standing up below deck on an 'ol wooden covict transport ship, you'd understand.
  On the build topic,,I finally started the FINAL assembly of the little Honda / Yamaha hybrid today, after sorting (re-designing actually) oiling system, after 3 months of forwards / backwards weekends I have good pressure where its needed, and good flow were it isn't.
Hopefully I'll get the engine fitted in the new frame tomorrow (again), and figure out an inlet manifold for the downdraught carb, the the finishing touches can be added to the frame, with the thought of minimizing tank slap inducing lateral flex.
 Thanks again Goggs, for delivering the salt encrusted wheels, who's tires are turning into a real pain to find.
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline mike mendoza

Re: quiet time
« Reply #475 on: April 05, 2008, 02:46:19 PM »
Crikey! can't a bloke have a little  quiet time?.....we've been doing other stuff and haven't really done that much on the 'tank....however we did get the new steering wheel back from our tame fitter and turner Vaughn with the cap that he made for it........

Ladeeeeeeeez and Genermen! I give you ( drum roll please) a home made wheel.....hewn from  half inch Al plate..........

I'm sitting here with a buzzing head , one of my earlier bands had a reunion last night ...we hadn't played for ten years , didn't have a rehearsal...just got up and went for it and no-one missed a cue....couple of hundred people ,it was a very moving experience ....it was like we'd never missed a day :wink:
What era music did your band play?

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #476 on: April 05, 2008, 05:36:18 PM »

er , music for deaf era's?.......style-wise we played what sounded half like what Elvis Costello would sound like if he was playing the Lynyrd Skynyrd songbook and at other times like the Stray Cats playing Dylan....... is that any help...? :-D

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #477 on: April 05, 2008, 06:36:51 PM »

er , music for deaf era's?.......style-wise we played what sounded half like what Elvis Costello would sound like if he was playing the Lynyrd Skynyrd songbook and at other times like the Stray Cats playing Dylan....... is that any help...? :-D

No, not for someone who is tone deaf  :-P, but after your last post I think if you guys start up again maybe the "Steering Wheels" might be a good name for the group  8-).

Hey vacation is over, back to work on the car, just 11 months to racing.  Your steering wheel looks a lot better than the one I just made.  The guy did good,

Sum

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #478 on: April 05, 2008, 08:05:37 PM »
Your steering wheel looks a lot better than the one I just made.  The guy did good,
actually the guy was me....Vaughn just made the centre cap and buffed the whole thing up a bit....I made the wheel. Now here is the part where I give away valuable trade secrets , some will shudder, others will pull on their boots and head directly to the workshop.

The first wheel we had was out of a Ford Laser which here , is a rebadged Mazda 323 .They're a  very flat wheel with a flat steel centre. I cut the top and bottom off it and then pulled the sides toward me giving a shape similar to the one shown ....neat idea but it looked pretty rough even by my standards.So I bought some half inch plate from the Aluminium merchant and started sketching it out. I found a round kitchen tray the same size as the Laser wheel and used it to give me the outside edges of the grips , then I used it give me the top and bottom concaves. So at this point I had the flat butterfly shape and it was just a case of using a hole saw to cut out the "finger-grips" and to jig-saw out the rest ( unless you've got a weldable band saw you can't cut closed circles with them).I drilled the spars and then filleted them with a coarse disc ,then I just bent them over a big anvil....rolling it would have been the go but hey why walk all the way to the next room for a screwdriver when I've got this butter knife right here in front of me...

Seriously though I did make a cardboard pattern to make sure the curves I had were right ,  but mostly it was a "feel" thing, I would definitely roll it next time but apart from that I'm happy with it and true to form it came up pretty quick...'bout two hours ....then Vaughn had it for about two months...LOL

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #479 on: April 05, 2008, 09:07:21 PM »
Your steering wheel looks a lot better than the one I just made.  The guy did good,
actually the guy was me..................................LOL.....

Well in that case it looks like crap  :evil:.  Just kidding, YOU DID GOOD!!  Mine took longer and doesn't look as good  :cry: .

I guess the group isn't going to get a new name  :cry:,

Sum