Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3193109 times)

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1425 on: January 12, 2011, 01:00:34 AM »
Someone earlier on the thread mentioned the floods were bigger than Texas, well now they are bigger than the whole of France and Germany combined!!!

That be a lot of water.

Incidentally, the area of Texas is 268,581sq miles, whereas our state of Queensland is over twice as big at 668,207 sq miles, which currently 3/4 is now desinated as a natural disaster area.

Luckily the Lake Gairdner catchment basin is not part of this system at all and a looooong way away...

rH+

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1426 on: January 12, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »
Which brings up a question.  We're getting close enough to March to wonder about the salt at Lake Gairdner.  Any word on the lakebed, or any long range forecasts?

Our hearts go out to the folks in Queensland.  I helped with a small rebuild in Biloxi, Mississippi after Katrina, and my parents lost their church in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 2008 to a 500 year flood.

I hate to say it, but it's going to be a mess for quite a while.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #1427 on: January 12, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »
For those who have not seen the DLRA christmas salt condition report yet
http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1392&start=15
Tiny dlra#484
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1428 on: January 16, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
Rose and I just watched the flood video together.  The cars along the river all new by American standards.  Where are all of the older and beat up cars like we drive here? 

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1429 on: January 16, 2011, 01:32:38 AM »
Rose and I just watched the flood video together.  The cars along the river all new by American standards.  Where are all of the older and beat up cars like we drive here? 

parked on my front lawn :-D

Oh, and in my drive.

Out front of the Colonel's house,in his drive.....dismantled in his roof, lounge room, kitchen..........

just as well we don't have 14 year old daughters, they'd most likely be sittin' at the dinner table smoking......in front of their kids.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1430 on: January 16, 2011, 02:20:49 AM »
Or upside down in my neighbours front yard

No, all the old cars that still survive are carefully hidden in garages and climate controlled sheds
I've almost stopped driving my old car due to the unwanted attention it now gets, and the lack of Aircon and power steering. Someone offered me $10,000 last time I drove it. Drove off laughing.
And with the price of new cars here, who would own an old car.
Anyhow, Got to get back to building the boat, the line of pairs of animals out the front is getting longer
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1431 on: January 16, 2011, 04:47:32 PM »
Is the an "ark" class for Speedweek?

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1432 on: January 16, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »

I don't really noah
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1433 on: January 16, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »
Is there an "ark" class for Speedweek?

I don't really noah
G

I wooden Noah either, but we do drive through Ararat to get there so I'd be pre-paired all the same.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1434 on: January 17, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »
The BBC news here is posting news about floods in Victoria where you fellows live.  Good luck.  I hope all of you do OK.  Remember, save in ascending order of importance, the family pictures, important documents, and the belly tank.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1435 on: January 17, 2011, 08:30:12 AM »

Yes, but the authority limits it to two horsepower, it must have originally been designed for "continuous, long term occupation of livestock", and have a maximum capacity of 450,000 cubic cubits.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1436 on: January 17, 2011, 05:08:44 PM »
With a horse being a clean beast, I think it can be seven horsepower :

Genesis 7:2
Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

It wouldn't be a real class without some argy bargy about the rules...

Here endeth the lesson.

Reverend H+

Offline Drewfus

• http://www.smv.com.au
« Reply #1437 on: January 22, 2011, 06:48:38 AM »
you assume the horse is clean......most I know are a crappy brown, or off white....

:-D

Hurry up, march is only weeks away... :wink:

Cheers,

Drewfus :-D
"Build it small, Drive it BIG"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1438 on: January 22, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
Far be it from me to argue religion with the Reverend, but at the risk of being labled a heretic, I understand that the extra "clean beasts" were brought along for food. 

But, according to Leviticus, Chapter 11, Verse 3, Moses stated that the conditions for what was determined a "Clean Beast" were as follows -

"Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat."

Under this definition, horses do not qualify, and the ark would be limited to two.

Just like all LSR rules, there seems to be some points of "tribal knowledge" that didn't actually make it into the rule book.  In this case, seeing as Moses was the arbiter who delineated precisesly what was "clean" and "unclean", Noah could not have known precisesly what the rules were, because Moses was a few "begats' further down the lineage than Noah.  Unless horses were "grandfathered in", the ark clearly was a two-horsepower conveyance.

So if Noah was running 3x7 horses, (21 HP!) and if I were running in his class (I'm not, and few are), I might be tempted to file a challenge to the record.

And speaking of horses, Grummy, how's the motor coming? 

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1439 on: January 22, 2011, 05:09:24 PM »
Good to hear from you Drew, lake this year?

We sent a basketballer over to Milwaukee, Bogut, big bloke, young, good goer but I don't know any Begats..maybe they were swimmers.

Try to steer away from the Old Testament in the sermon father , it scares the children.

Yesterday I started on the long and tedious process of putting the jigsaw puzzle together.First the fuel tank,lines pump and filter. I noticed that there was a spot where the line from the tank to the filter took a sharp turn and by the looks of it may have been getting sucked flat, I replaced that with 1/2 inch steel line.
I also altered a shield we had on which the fuel tank sits above the tail shaft, it's a piece of 1/4 gal steel channel.

The big job yesterday though was the steering column. It's always been what we had sorted out to get the car together and was never revisited. After the final run last year  i decided that the steering column/tacho arrangement had to change. Visibility was poor and the mounting of the column was bulky and untidy.Hopefully by this arvo I will have the wheel on, more room and be able to look directly at the track without having the tacho covering the first twenty feet in front of the car.

Last weekend the Rev and I had the floor off for a touch up and while removing it a little piece of 3/4 inch angle iron was unbolted from the rear bulkhead, it appeared to be welded to the floor, but no it wasn't, it was just sitting there touching the floor.We figured it was there for the set-up and we never got to weld it on. The floor is 1/4 inch plate and has five 3/4 inch bolts ( I had a bucket full of them from a scrappy) pulling it up against the frame. Yesterday when I looked at the floor it was arching down after the rear bulkhead and it was then I realised. The little piece of angle was the datum point to set the height for the floor fixture, without it the last bolt would be done up too tight and the tail part of the floor which overhangs would then pull down and make it impossible to fit the tail-piece of the bodywork.

It was a lesson, we put an awful amount of time in to make this stuff all fit together, we need to think very, very carefully before changing anything too much........after staring at the frame and all the ugly stuff under the skin I packed up sat down and looked at some of Frank Kletchskus's photo's, here's some good ones......

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 05:15:24 PM by Dr Goggles »