Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3193082 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1245 on: August 26, 2010, 01:43:09 AM »
NHRA museum?
I am now
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #1246 on: August 26, 2010, 04:07:04 AM »
Grumm

We got to the Peterson last saturday, lots of cars, not so many bikes for you.

Do you know if the french compressed air powered streamliner got to run??

Lynchy

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1247 on: August 26, 2010, 08:50:43 AM »
Grumm
Do you know if the french compressed air powered streamliner got to run??

I saw it make a very low speed pass. Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1248 on: August 26, 2010, 09:42:09 AM »
We were at the line Friday morning when the compressed-air 'liner made a run.  A full two-mile run (that's where it ran out of air) yielded about 60 mph.

I think they might need a long air hose hooked up to the compressor   :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1249 on: August 30, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »
 Yesterday I spent an hour on the phone with Simon Davidson a photographer who'd just got back from three weeks in the States , and of course Speedweek.He was stunned by Speedweek. I asked him who he met...hahahahahahaha,

"I had this guy sidle up who I'm not sure had heard me speak or whether he was interested in my gear but he asked me if I knew two guys who ran a little red and white bellytank "downunder"....."

"Er that'd be Rev Hedgash and Dr Goggles, I know them well, particularly Goggles..."

It was Freud .....and if Simon didn't encrypt his photo's so cleverly I'd post the photo he sent me of Freud at the four mile, it's an absolute classic .

I said to Simon..." that's a guy who hasn't mellowed with age"....
he said ,
"I met a few of them"

Simon has been going to the salt here for a while but he was completely bewildered by the size of Speedweek and the number of roadsters, people , spectators......... I think he really "gets it" now.

I sent a text to the Colonel last night ......"Well?"....he replied this morning "what?"

I'm going to need to tie him up to get the story of his Speedweek out of him, maybe if I ply him with good local beer he'll be a little more forthcoming... :cheers:

Good luck at BUB guys , especially you Aussies

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1250 on: August 30, 2010, 10:09:50 PM »
Me? Forthcoming?
Hah

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Freud

« Reply #1251 on: August 30, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
Goggles, was that the twit that had the high heels and pink lace head band?

FREUD
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:11:23 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1252 on: August 30, 2010, 11:14:44 PM »
Dr Goggles sed "I'm going to need to tie him up to get the story of his Speedweek out of him, maybe if I ply him with good local beer he'll be a little more forthcoming..."

I fear it will take more than that. He's been spoiled with a P-38 Porter from the ELMO RODGE BREWERY. There's no going back.  :lol: :cheers: Wayno

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #1253 on: August 31, 2010, 08:36:13 AM »
Elmo, I'm gonna send them revenooers after ya.  Better hide the vat and the still.  :) 

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1254 on: August 31, 2010, 09:54:53 AM »
You coppers will never take me alive! (Insert crazed laughter here.)  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1255 on: August 31, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »
So, Wayno, I get Belly Tank pics but no Porter?Looks like I`ll have to get my Fedora, White Spats and Gatling Gun out and leap into the Packard.....yoooou dirty rat......

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1256 on: August 31, 2010, 04:59:07 PM »
An oversight, I assure you, Paul. Next time.  :cheers: WOS or World Finals? Wayno

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1257 on: August 31, 2010, 08:17:07 PM »
Goggles, was that the twit that had the high heels and pink lace head band?
FREUD
Na, this guy had shots on the salt, not from the hotel room :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1258 on: September 04, 2010, 08:22:35 PM »
Ok, as of last night the preparations for 2011 started in earnest, sure I've been buying bits and pieces and asking questions since the minute we got home from Speedweek 2010 but everyone knows the difference between that and " jeez we better get a wriggle on"................

Last night was my first chance to catch up with the Colonel and get the skinny on his Bonneville trip.Of course he had a fantastic time, couldn't remember all the people he met , nor all the great things he saw....
so I asked him
"Did you have fun with Wayno"?.....
" hahahaha,Wayno. is a cack"....now, all of you in the States might wonder at this one....

cack
    (slang) faeces (feces); nonsense or rubbish: "what a load of cack" could equally be used to describe someone talking nonsense or as a criticism of something of poor quality. Also spelt "kak". Derived from an ancient Indo-European word, kakkos, cognate with German word Kacke, and Welsh word "cach"

You rarely if ever here it used as above, rather it's part of a phrase, It's a few steps along ...The phrase is "I cacked myself"....meaning , I "soiled myself" laughing.......therefore someone who is described as "a cack"....is someone who is very funny....

Now , coming from the Colonel that's some compliment indeed, I had a feeling they'd get along.......

So anyway I had to take the motor and all the newish parts we have over to the Colonel's .......The 2010 motor, the heads , the new heads, the new manual crank, flywheel,pressure plate ( so the crank can be balanced) and a bunch of other stuff.....

As we are changing the crank to one that doesn't need a flywheel adapter the rotating assembly needs to be balanced again.....

We also have a minor issue in that the big-azz cam we want to use needs to be ground from a new billet, that's fine except that the guys who we want to have do the job can't get them big enough...the series one cam has a large flange on the front, the series two cam has instead a keyed wheel that the timing chain sprocket bolts to( much smaller). The choice was to go with another company,( more expensive not very accommodating) or change to a series two cam arrangement. In 2009 we used a series two motor which has been sitting on a trolley in my back yard , I whipped off the timing cover................... OK you know that's not true. To be honest after about half an our I tack welded a 3/4 inch nut onto the harmonic balancer and finally inched it off ........yeah, then I whipped off the timing cover. The series two has a retainer ring which bolts to the block so the only mod we have to make is to use that ring as a template and drill and tap three holes into the front of the block, pictured below is the series one where the cam is retained by goodwill, and under that the series two with the three holes.....which I guess we'll now have to refer to as the "bowling-ball-conversion"

we'll go with the conversion route meaning we can go with a Wade cam( the 1644a mentioned in previous posts) , that we have used before rather than use a supplier we haven't met, and wasn't too friendly when I spoke to him........

It's getting to the point where I need some serious thought put into the shelving and storage in my shed.....I spent nearly two hours looking for some lifters yesterday

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1259 on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:17 PM »
Cack, huh? Heck, I would have taken it as a compliment even if you hadn't explained the last part.  :lol: Yeah. We got on fine.  :cheers: Wayno