Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3193590 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1185 on: June 20, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »

If we get a manual crank we can have it balanced WITH the flywheel attached ....that would mean we knew it was properly balanced AND it wasn't going to get loose and possibly let go, which would give us a whole lot more problems than we have now....

So, the same as the crank in the motor that's lying in your back yard then

The gearbox tags move the same distance as standard, or possibly less, definitely not more. Make sure you call me before you drop over...so I can make sure I'm out :roll:
Good, so you will be dropping it over here then

Something else I noticed in my travels . I looked down the header where I had put the vac-u-pan line in the collector and noticed that the chamfered off side is pointing up-stream......I thoughtit was supposed to go the other way, now , I do know after putting my finger on the line once when it was running that it makes SERIOUS vacuum even at low revs , but can someone confirm which way is better for it to face?
A reverse venturi?
Or to quote blackboard
Upside down miss Jane
G

na , the motor under the fig tree is an eight bolt crank.......we need the six bolt, large boss....... LS-1 solid lifters on the way.......Have also thought about Sandrew's offer of some HPC coating...I'm going to make another vac-u-pan for the other header before we get that done.....And yeah , I'll get the motor to you once I have various things done....hey, I wasn't expecting anyone to help. :wink:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 08:22:59 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1186 on: June 21, 2010, 11:49:35 PM »
At least I got the shifts relatively cleanly, the other video where the elusive sixth cylinder has come to the party and the motor sounds good has the Rev playing a fresh air shot on both shifts....

I guess I need to tell the folks out there that that run was the first time I had ever driven the car on the salt as I did not get the runs on the test track and was even towed to the start line after a fuel overflow issue stopped me driving there.

I think a pause on the gear changes was OK, especially compared to my disastrous run this year of putting it into the wrong gear!

I say this as a warning to all racers, especially in Oz where we don't get many chances to run: take your time to learn the instrument before you play hard. Starting at 125mph is still pretty fast, and at 25mph increments serious speed will soon be your environment and you need more than your everyday wits about you should something go wrong. I was stupid not to practice more prior to running and lucky to get away with it for just missing a gear and pulling out of the run this year.

Don't worry all, next year I will be sitting in the cockpit for hours getting that body memory in place. Then some practice runs. We tend to get all antsy about getting a run and throw good practice out of the window, especially with rain shortened weeks and lots of competitors. But now with the GPS track there is no excuse to not to take the time and get comforatble with everything before taking it to the next level.

No excuses,

rh+

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1187 on: June 22, 2010, 08:29:26 AM »
So very important with the things we "PLAY" with.

---lots of seat time in the shop---

I call it "dirt dancing". Refering to the moves sky divers do while rehearsing, "relative work"; manuvers involving other people while free falling. Non jumpers will think it "funny",  because it does look strange to non jumpers, but it is very serious  I have seen jump partners refuse to jump with someone who didn't have their moves down.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1188 on: June 22, 2010, 08:50:36 PM »
You've got to know the instrument before you play the song.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1189 on: June 22, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »
You need to play the song to learn the limits of the instrument.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1190 on: June 23, 2010, 01:51:10 AM »
Guys, guys , guys, let's not let it all get too complicated....it's as simple as the Hokey Cokey

..."ya putcha left foot in ya pull ya right hand back ya putcha right foot down and ya hurtle down the track ......stay in it 'til the seven then ya turn right out.......THAT"S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. HEY!

All the other stuff about the harness crushing your goolies, your eye balls getting shaken so it's hard to see and having to steer didn't really rhyme, so I left it out.....results may vary :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1191 on: June 26, 2010, 08:33:55 PM »
I picked up the manual motor I bought yesterday from the wreckers , couldn't start the ute, so I could move it to get to the trailer...so I got them to slot it into the back of the station wagon with a forklift. took all the ancillaries and heads off in the back off the car and then dragged it out onto a trailer plank on a box stand that I have( a rectangular box frame made from sq. tubing useful for all sorts of support jobs, different H,W and L so three different heights, uncannily useful). Then all we had to do was undo the bottom end, It all looked pretty good, bearings were all ok,  looked as though it had been maintained.

So we have a few of the little bits and pieces that we use off them ...a good loom, set of injectors that look recently serviced,another throttle body,senders,lifters, a set of pistons and rods that are in very neat condition( we won't use em in the race motor but), heads number 9 and 10( sheesh) a very straight sump and undamaged oil-pickup( rare)and a collection of fasteners that we can always use.There are also a couple of pieces of stainless pipe for transfer tubes in the cooling system which are always useful.And, a manual crank which together with the flywheel , harmonic balancer and pressure plate will be going to be balanced.

Last night I paid for this......Still working out the most practical way to get it here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260480441735&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

We will hit the practical,affordable,scared shitless point with the car in the next year or two..hopefully we might get close to Jack Kellys 236+mph E/GL record... but at that point we will need to find something else at which to direct our attention...... We will by then have a fairly well sorted motor, big heads , good valve train very aggressive cam..... that 181 Buick crank will put us 2ci under the engine break for F class and would by any reckoning allow the motor to turn just a little faster again. When we started the build of this car there were a few people who told us we wouldn't do 200 with the V6, we shouldsee that next time we run fingers crossed, the local blown F class record is 211 or so. We're thinking it would be nice to run about 212 with a naturally aspirated F class V6....... I thiiiiiink  we might be able to do it.

That pipe dream will have to wait a few years, next racing year we will be fitting the ten bolt rear end allowing us to gear down. So we have the next four years or so laid out....
2011;E/GL 2.77:1,more power, better valve train.                                                                                                 Aiming for 215+mph
2012; E/GL , E/BGL 2.41:1 ,same N/A set-up with possible low boost blower build ( same comp 9.6:1 or down to 8.5:1)     Aiming for 235+mph
2013; F/GL 2.77:1 F class motor licensing                                                                                                            Aiming for 175+mph
2014: F/GL,F/FL,F/BGL,F/BFL                                                                                                                             Aiming for 211+mph

Over the next few years I'll be checking back on this wish-list, If I get to tick half of it off I'll know I didn't aim high enough.

Dr G

Offline bones

« Reply #1192 on: July 02, 2010, 05:31:30 AM »
Hey Doc
  talk to Greg Watters or Norm Hardinge-They have a container going

cheers Bones

Offline maj

« Reply #1193 on: July 08, 2010, 04:21:04 AM »
Gone or Norm would have missed Speedweek
Rest of us are not making an appearance till Bubs
Doc do you think we can lable it as a motorcycle crank  :-Dl

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1194 on: July 08, 2010, 08:16:30 PM »
Gone or Norm would have missed Speedweek
Rest of us are not making an appearance till Bubs
Doc do you think we can lable it as a motorcycle crank  :-Dl

Yeah, what we needed to put in a container has gone with Norm,he's been very helpful. He's pitting with Doug Odom and there'll be a double suitcase switch going on with our sparky at some time....

Meanwhile other things are happening on the ground here, the rockers have arrived and so the heads will be going to have the pedestals set up ......

It's been a busy week here, The Rev has some news on work , we had some family business and tomorrow we start a big replaster in the front of the house ...in the meantime I'm trying to get my little "Think Tank" bellytank mailer going too........

never a dull moment. :roll:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:52:09 PM by Dr Goggles »

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1195 on: July 21, 2010, 10:11:11 PM »
Must be about time for an update......

The 181 ci crank is on it's way courtesy of Milwaukee freight forwarders. The adjustable roller/roller tip rockers are here courtesy of same. The second hand firesuit bought from Kiwi craig has been re-certified by Deist and is currently winging it's way here too..... The rules are a hot topic at the moment and as it stood I believe that the suit we had DID pass the expected level as we aren't front engined nor do we run a blower and we used nomex underwear with it....however as we go faster the risk of upset and the time it takes to stop and exit the car increase and so there really is no argument against having the best protection available.

The rockers need some basic mods so they'll fit the heads we have, a local mob who specialize in our motor have offered to do it for us so long as we say nice things about them..... I have also found the people who will do the balancing we need for the replacement crank for next years motor( the 232 not the 181).

We have had the headers and the underside of our inlet manifold coated with HPC stainless steel ceramic....  Am also hoping to speak to a rep soon from a certain oil company about anti foaming compounds and whether they might be able to give us a sump or so full of oil .

On another front I got an email from Street Machine one of the big car mags here the other day asking whether we'd be interested in them doing a feature on the tank for their "Hot Rod Annual"...., "yeah, sure ! that'd be great!...the next day I get another email..." do you want to write it doctor?"....... As the Colonel put it ..."does this mean you get paid to write about yourself?"...in short , yes. It will be photo's by Simon Davidson from this years meet and the story that in reality I have told.....hundreds of times.....

As usual I have about ten different things on the boil at once....last night I spoke to one of our salty mates Dirty Dave and we agreed...better busy than anything else...otherwise we'd just be in, or making trouble..... :wink: :wink:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1196 on: July 22, 2010, 06:02:09 AM »
Well
I'm coming over
To Bonneville that is

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1197 on: July 26, 2010, 08:00:13 AM »
Here's a video from inside the cab of me doing 160.145mph in 2009....it's not much of a vid but you get the idea.......I think you can here the motor start missing at about 2.00 as the computer was killing the ignition at 5200rpm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3yYU1hbgjI

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1198 on: July 26, 2010, 09:03:23 AM »
Doc, smooths out nicely about a 100.... a little more track and a little less sun when you mount the camera next year.....  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1199 on: July 26, 2010, 09:24:08 AM »
Doc, smooths out nicely about a 100.... a little more track and a little less sun when you mount the camera next year.....  :-D

Yep that was me, mounting the camera that is. A Panasonic Lumix zip tied onto the roll cage. not much focus or aiming  going on
Hopefully someone will put the Rev's run up on youtube. very entertaining
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm