Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3198706 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1605 on: March 16, 2011, 07:43:15 AM »
very clever MM :-D

I'd like to add that this motor was built after a discussion a few years back with Jack Dolan who said a long duration cam with slightly more than stock comp could do what we wanted to do, be affordable and go the distance.Some people questioned what we were trying to build , so far it's making power in the right place. We 'll see if it does the bizzo.

Tomorrow we have a flat out effort to put the motor in in and assemble the car before we leave the next morning.I finally sorted out getting the car on the truck and I've been working out how to properly secure all the other stuff we have to take.

later :wink:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:48:06 AM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1606 on: March 16, 2011, 09:34:06 AM »
Tomorrow we have a flat out effort to put the motor in in and assemble the car before we leave the next morning.I finally sorted out getting the car on the truck and I've been working out how to properly secure all the other stuff we have to take.

later :wink:

Doc, have you also sorted getting the car off the truck in a remote environment?  Good luck on the thrash, I think you guys have it on the right track.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1607 on: March 16, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »
Doc, have you also sorted getting the car off the truck in a remote environment?  Good luck on the thrash, I think you guys have it on the right track.
 :cheers:

We have four stands that support the car at working height, (the tub won't come off without them) and an A frame we use to lift it and/or the motor .I welded a perch onto two of the stands at the height of the tray and will support the ramps at that height after hoisting the rear of the car..it means we can leave two of them at home because the ramps will work as a platform if we need . I'll still have to take extra ramps ( in order to get in ON the ramps AND over the bend in the beavertail)but I'm pretty sure it'll go on and yes off now Bob with some applied bother.It's here where a tilt tray would be nice.....

Gonna be a busy day.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Drewfus

• http://www.smv.com.au
« Reply #1608 on: March 17, 2011, 07:06:25 AM »
thinking of you guys (and all the other racers), yet again wishing I was going, keep safe
"Build it small, Drive it BIG"

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1609 on: March 17, 2011, 05:46:16 PM »
Hey Drewfus,
pity you can't make it.

We assembled everything yesterday and fired it up.it sounds mad.

Right now we were going to be on the road but we've been behind for a bit and the Colonel has given it an almighty shove spending three days at the dyno.He's been healthier than he is right now so we've inserted an R&R day. I still have to pack and sort the tools, the camping gear and work out how to secure it all to the truck.

Speaking of dyno Mat Cavalli went way over and above what we could have expected from someone who hasn't suffered along with us , he has his own workshop in Shepparton and knows his onions for a young guy, he was the man responsible for the chip we'll be running.Thanks also to Ian for the dyno and all the time , he's got a half finished tank there and I'm expecting to be on-call for tank related questions........

The was an insurmountable issue with the program in that it refused to rev beyond 6400, If I can't find some 30 inch tyres to borrow on the lake then I will be fitting the little "cheater" guards we made last year and run in streamline class.

I'll be back.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1610 on: March 17, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »
James, I forget. Will you be out of earshot on the Lakebed? By the way, drive real fast and have gobs of fun.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1611 on: March 17, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
Yes. Here I would like to say a bit about the Colonel.

As he says, "They make it, I make it work." What that doesn't say is the crucial aspect of when he makes it work which is the critical time that it requries to work. At the salt he has regularly diagnosed then created a very workable fix to unforeseen issues which otherwise would have ended our run.

This week the Graham went over and above the call of duty to get that engine to work, to have power and be ready for Speedweek. And as Dr.G just mentioned, he certainly isn't in the best of health this week so that effort is so much more appreciated. Rest Well, Colonel, we not only want you there, we need you there!

Also big thanks to Mat and Ian, if we didn't have this Dyno session and your help our run at the lake this year would be very short indeed.

The engine still ceases to accelerate mysteriously at 6400rpm but I know all these guys tried them damnedest to find out why.

The important thing though is we have an operational engine to go racing. Maybe Dr'g will not get his 200mph with it this uyear, but I certainly can get my 175mph pass (yes, practice those gear changes...) and then push the F for fuel record up to close to 200mph. That is an improvement.

With the cheater gaurds on we get to set a host of other records.

But we must also remember it is not just about records. Its about being there as a participant, and enjoying and learning from the runs.  We don't get enough time in the car to become expert at driving it, so just being there this year with an operational car makes this happen.

Thanks to all who have helped make it happen.

Raining today near the lake, forecast not great, but we are ready to go should it be on.

Keep the shiny side up indeed, that's the Spirit of Sunshine!

Reverend H+
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:40:31 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1612 on: March 17, 2011, 07:43:31 PM »
"Is it because they are lucky that they become great? No, but being great, they have been able to master luck."  Napoleon

Have a great event.

Be safe, go fast, and have fun.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1613 on: March 18, 2011, 12:07:03 AM »
 :-D And the Saga Continues......It`s not usual for Kiwis to wish Aussies luck and good fortune in much, team, but I surely wish it for you lot. Hope you give em hell... :cheers:

Online racergeo

« Reply #1614 on: March 18, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »
      Good on ya Googles, you the man! But were goina hafta yak about that engine of yours. You should be able to rev the buggery out of it with a roller cam. Generally speaking ,two things hamper revs, valve springs and fuel volume. Any way, like the Rev said you'll learn some more, get some licenses and have some FUN. By the way, Ians gettin a bit of an awning over the toy shop,eh.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1615 on: March 18, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »
HEY!  :-(

HEY! :| 

HEY! :-o

Those dirt bags snuck out of town without showing us the finished product!

:wink:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1616 on: March 18, 2011, 01:13:39 AM »
M.M.
We haven't left town yet
http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1527&start=137

Headgash took some photo's yesterday of me coughing while Goggs was spannering

Wayno. we are incommunicado about 10 minutes after we leave the bitumen. about 90 miles from the lake
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1617 on: March 18, 2011, 01:50:08 AM »
have fun guys
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1618 on: March 18, 2011, 02:58:33 AM »
      Good on ya Googles, you the man! But were goina hafta yak about that engine of yours. You should be able to rev the buggery out of it with a roller cam. Generally speaking ,two things hamper revs, valve springs and fuel volume. .

Hey George our pump is one of those big Boschs, it'll support 650hp..... the valve springs could be an issue but our last motor had turned over 7k in a previous incarnation...WITH A DIFFERENT ECU.

there is a forum here that has a section devoted to these motors and there's a couple of guys who know their linen, or rather their sheet....here is one theory...

why wont it go past 6400 no injectors left or fuel pump not keeping up or is it tapping a limiter you probably need to use vl400's custom code that lifts the VE table rpm all the way to 9600rpm so you can tune that high the formula holdens had doctored code to allow them to do things the stock ecu wouldnt allow

Offline Drewfus

• http://www.smv.com.au
« Reply #1619 on: March 18, 2011, 05:46:17 PM »
rest up colonel and take it steady, with the uncertainty of the weather there is no rush, keep safe first and formost.

"Keep the shiny side up indeed, that's the Spirit of Sunshine!", yep, rock on.

Looking forward to hearing about your endeavours when you get back.

Cheers,

Drewfus :cheers:

"Build it small, Drive it BIG"