Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3193810 times)

Offline hitz

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1500 on: February 13, 2011, 01:31:28 AM »
OK,
 I think you fellows are spoofing us. It doesn't really work, does it.  I've taken the lakester to Bonneville 3 times and never got it to shift (well, not very well) and changed it 4 times.  :evil:

Hope you have a good outing at the salt flats this year. Drink little-Think much

Harvey

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1501 on: February 13, 2011, 01:56:45 AM »
We're not allowed to drink
The new rule is, every driver/rider has to undergo a breathalyser test for blood alcohol content before they run

"that officials & drivers/riders together with other individuals who will be participating would be tested at the commencement of each day. In 2011 only we see this as a public relations exercise – the only penalty for an individual registering a positive reading would be for them to return to the pits area & not be permitted to compete /participate until a negative reading is returned. All officials & competitors will be advised prior to & during the event of the introduction of mandatory testing in 2011.
Cled Davies Chair"

I suppose if I lived in Australia's car theft capitol, I'd be a little tight lipped on my shift pattern, too.

Yep, tight lipped. Happy to talk about my gun collection.

Today for a change, we started the Monaro (see avatar) and went for a drive to Hanging Rock to a car show.
I didn't really expect the number and quality of cars that were in attendance.
This was one of the odd ones. It appeared to be on an 06 Corvette floor pan
G

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:58:16 AM by grumm441 »
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #1502 on: February 13, 2011, 03:32:29 AM »
Yeah, there's a company stateside making those, IIRC they call it a 5-6-7.

Interesting concept.

More belly tank, I mean come on, ya want me to go into withdrawals or something? :D
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline Tman

« Reply #1503 on: February 13, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
Yeah, there's a company stateside making those, IIRC they call it a 5-6-7.

Interesting concept.

More belly tank, I mean come on, ya want me to go into withdrawals or something? :D

Those things are abortions on EITHER side of the pond!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1504 on: February 14, 2011, 02:00:03 AM »
So today was cam dialing day.
We're running 361 lift and 300° duration, so 0.5616 with a 1.6 rocker ratio
It's funny that in a country that's been metric for so long, cam lift is still in thou.

This is the cam grind that was used in a class of racing they called formula holden
It's a bit bigger than last year and will require the use of first gear
The motor has a crank, a cam and one piston with no rings on it, making it easier to turn
I'm aiming for 105.5° on the inlet and 108.5° on the exhaust
Next I will pop a head on and see how close the valves go to the pistons
and how close the valve springs go to binding
I usually use the traditional plasticine method for checking piston to valve clearances, and this year I also have a fancy camera
for looking in the spark plug hole which I just need to get  back from Ben

G :mrgreen:

penny

« Reply #1505 on: February 14, 2011, 02:12:48 AM »
the staging lanes will be quiet for most of the morning and vehicles will all come out in the afternoon when sober .  there may also be a few missing officials early for the same reason .

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1506 on: February 14, 2011, 03:39:03 AM »
Paul
My understanding is, that we will have a proper police officer and a proper breathalyser.
So
there will be no motorcycle tech in the morning (suits me)
and ice will be unavailable until midday
And with the staging lanes being quite, my head will not hurt
G

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1507 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:21 PM »
On the weekend there was much time spent in the shed. Not a huge amount was achieved, there was much tugging of the forelock.... I shortened the cheek bars which will make in/egress easier....

After the Rev got in the car we realised that I had made the new steering column too short.....to accommodate his fat legs, yeah OK they're not fat, just very long........what we were trying to ascertain was where we could put the new 'chute release..... most people who are tied-up have more room to move and better use of their hands than someone who is suited up and strapped into our car so there are precious few places we could stick another button ,lever or switch.... we have decided that we will use a hood release style T behind the steering wheel( photo's later).

The real time-waster was an old favorite and that is the catch on the chute doors....it has absorbed weeks I would estimate over the last three years, and it has never been satisfactory. Now, before you leap in with helpful suggestions the answer is...nope, nah, probably not, uh-uh. They are curved barn style doors, so the mechanism needs to be like a bear claw and all the actuation needs to swing free.... we have used seat catches from scooters but they are prone to sieze and/or/release unexpectedly due to the high prssure from the drone spring.......I made another version with a sliding plate, worked until it was loaded......then the Rev bought a ball bearing drawer support with which we duplicated the sliding plate idea......I hooked the cable to it last night and it does work and it doesn't have the propensity to pop open when bumped......I'm sure everyone has a version of this story for some part of their car or bike for which there is no perfect solution and every option explored to date has been time consuming, frustrating and ultimately piss-poor.

Lat night I also extended the column.....I think I got that right....

I bought a spill kit for our support vehicle which we didn't have up until this point, I got the tow-truck title transferred to my name, the Colonel has wired in the UHF radio, we are planning on putting cup holders on the outside of the doors( this truck is so slow that we'll spend half the trip walking alongside it to stretch our legs), I bought a new chilly-bin, the fire extinguishers have been sent off for re-certification , a new helmet is on the way and a message has been sent to our favorite pin-striper to see what he can come up with for the new plain white helmet......

We will get there, we will be ready.............

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1508 on: February 15, 2011, 05:24:14 AM »
We will get there, we will be ready.............
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

penny

« Reply #1509 on: February 15, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
I got the tow-truck title transferred to my name, the Colonel has wired in the UHF radio, we are planning on putting cup holders on the outside of the doors( this truck is so slow that we'll spend half the trip walking alongside it to stretch our legs),

remember every trip into the outback is an adventure Dr ,once late at night we ha d one brew to many and past through a very small outback town which had a pub with the solitary light bulb on the porch . aA while later we lost it and spun , time for a driver change and off we went .20 minutes later we went through a small town with a pub with a solitary light bulb . wasn't that the  Mannahill Hotel we said . stopped down the road and we turned around only to go past the Mannahill Hotel 3 times that night .

Offline racergeo

« Reply #1510 on: February 15, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
   Aussie Land Speed Racers have to be the hardiest homo-sapiens on earth! But they might drink just a wee to much. :roll:

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #1511 on: February 16, 2011, 02:42:43 AM »
we are planning on putting cup holders on the outside of the doors

Aren't you supposed to put them in the engine bay? Saw these once on a feral ute and thought it was a great idea!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1512 on: February 16, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »
we are planning on putting cup holders on the outside of the doors

Aren't you supposed to put them in the engine bay? Saw these once on a feral ute and thought it was a great idea!

AND - you can leave the empty can there and use it for a radiator overflow catch!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1513 on: February 19, 2011, 12:38:03 AM »
I just got a call from Simon Davidson the photographer who has been out at Lake Gairdner for a shoot, he said there was very heavy rain and that there is two inches of water over the whole track area, that's not necessarily bad , but the water was very red....if it has taken a lot of soil onto the lake it could be another two year wipeout like '07 '08 ........yeah I know, the sky is faaaaaalllling .............

4 weeks to go
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1514 on: February 20, 2011, 07:55:30 AM »
Didn't I see a  picture of Corporal Jones somewhere?
G