Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3193708 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1455 on: January 24, 2011, 09:31:28 PM »
This is the wheel that Jim Hume fabricated for the Target550 streamliner. It will have wooden grips and I'll look for an example of them.

The holes in the front are for pneumatic switches for parachutes and I don't remember what else.

Marlo will chew my tail for posting w/o complete information.

FREUD

Pneumatic switches? don't gimme that guff, that's where you plug in the iPod and the top ones are vol. up and vol.down so you can adjust it without taking your hands off the wheel, anyone can see that :roll: :roll: jokes aside that's a very nice piece that I suspect took a bit more work than my effort.

Strangely enough I started carving a wheel out of 1/2" AL the other day prior to seeing this. My pattern is strikingly similar! :cheers:

Carve is the word T...I went looking for patterns and then decided the basis of what we had was what I was after.. Give yourself a flat area in the middle so you can mount some dash stuff there like a GPS and a chute switch next to that I can't make any suggestions other than I hope you luck out first time around like I did....

Yup, good tips, thanks. That is my current plan of action!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1456 on: January 24, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
This is the wheel that Jim Hume fabricated for the Target550 streamliner. It will have wooden grips and I'll look for an example of them.

The holes in the front are for pneumatic switches for parachutes and I don't remember what else.

Marlo will chew my tail for posting w/o complete information.

FREUD

FREUD
I like also that you made a little wooden stand so it would photograph well.

I'll get the Rev on to it

G

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1457 on: January 26, 2011, 09:15:22 PM »
Yesterday the brains trust got together and went at it. The colonel busied himself testing the wiring and installing a solenoid to act as a master kill. found a few salt affected connections but nothing too tragic.

The Reverend was assigned a spot at the buffer and polished all the Al bits , the inner Moons, and the cockpit trim. When I went looking for the rear inner moons I found them in a box , with the caps....it was where they were put when we fitted the transport wheels...they hadn't been cleaned. we got them looking OK with some phosphoric and green scourer but the rears that had a solid cake of salt on them( yeah , I know) have pits that go almost all the way through.......

I checked the wheel bearings, took the bodywork off the canopy and cleaned up the frame there, drilled some more drainage holes through the floor skin and did a test fit of the new suit...I can still get out of the car in under 10 seconds, but getting in?....yikes. It has been decided by she who must be obeyed that I have to lose some weight, I'm 6ft  185lb.

The F250 that I was going to buy for a tow vehicle has fallen through, it was through a good mate and he pulled out the screen to attend to a little rust only to find that it was catastrophic, the hunt is on again for a tow.

more later :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1458 on: January 29, 2011, 10:15:44 PM »
 After seeing how bad our moon discs got after last years meet I have decided to clear coat them. Just a shot of clear acrylic on the inner and outer moons where they are polished. I figure I can chuck them in a tray with some gunwash and reshoot them each year.....has this been successful for anyone else?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Tman

« Reply #1459 on: January 29, 2011, 11:53:34 PM »
Try Gibbs? It is what the fabricatror up here use to keep stuf from rusting

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1460 on: January 30, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »
We had ours hard anodized, oh yea, ya gotta wash them and the wheels immediately after you arrive home....  :cheers:  We totally disassmble the car and clean for  couple of days after the races.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1461 on: January 30, 2011, 09:55:46 AM »
I clear-coated both sets of Moon discs -- the ones on the pickup and the ones on Nancy's Soobaru.  And I wash them inside and out when removing them for the winter.  I haven't found much salt on the inside of the truck's discs after a long season of towing toilets around out in the boonies of the salt, and so on, but there's always a bunch of brake dust.  Take 'em off, clean 'em, and stack them safely with the Dzus buttons in a baggie with the discs.  I speak from experience about the buttons and their proclivity for going missing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1462 on: January 30, 2011, 01:57:51 PM »
I see Jon is spelling Subaru Soobaru.  Is that 'cause the filter works backwards, too?  If you type Subaru, you get Sh!t?  We'll see.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1463 on: January 30, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »
I see Jon is spelling Subaru Soobaru.  Is that 'cause the filter works backwards, too?  If you type Subaru, you get Sh!t?  We'll see.

Stan
Or Pleiades. Wayno

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1464 on: January 31, 2011, 03:39:37 PM »
Struck a deal to buy a flat bed with a winch yesterday which means we're going to the salt.

That's good.

It's a Ford Trader diesel which was an Australia Post truck, it was then converted to be a tow truck. The guy planned on making a business towing after hours but from what I could work out he got woken up a lot more times than he got paid and his enthusiasm waned.....

If I get the chance it'll be painted up in team colors, currently it's black and with no air-con even a 5 minute blow over in white would be preferable to the thermo-dynamic qualities of black if it's a hot week.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1465 on: January 31, 2011, 03:43:13 PM »
Wimp! :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1466 on: January 31, 2011, 03:55:13 PM »
I guess I spell it Soob in response to our proclivity to referring, in spoken language, to it as the "Soob".  If I spelled it according to the brand name we'd be calling it as the nick name of the underwater boats, right?  And as for the dirty-word filter -- I haven't tried it in reverse.  Think I oughta?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1467 on: January 31, 2011, 04:03:56 PM »
Hey hey, good to see the Australian Belly tank thread performing it's intended purpose as a magnet for the insane. :-P

For once Mr Boss I have blind Bambi* what you're on about.............

* no eye deer.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1468 on: January 31, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
I know sign language for "no idea"...

Strange movements indeed in the Spirit of Sunshine camp...

Dr G has bought a tow truck after 7 years of abusing me for sending him examples of possible transporters for sale on eBay!

And I, who own a motorhome, have resorted to hiring another one for the trip... I think we are getting old.

The Lady Hedgash is coming and so is our daughter, currently 20 months old. Amber has missed the last two meets due to being pregnant and then Alice being too young. But not this time, it will be a family affair. So we are hiring a motorhome with airconditioning, and having two others on board to help us pay for it.
Airco, fridge, shower, wc, luxury!

Whats more we will be flying in to Adelaide to pick up the unit cutting off 12 hours of the trip. (tix $79! bargain)

Yes, strange days indeed. Most peculiar mama.

This is the start of the campaign to get Alice to be the world's first female formula one champion. Blood her on the salt, watch Bathurst every year and then go-karts at around four I reckon. She already has watched a few Grand Prix on my knee.

Amber says she wants her to have a profession AND a trade. I would like to add a landspeed record to that too.

rH+

ps Sumner... where are you? Arre you coming?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1469 on: January 31, 2011, 10:25:07 PM »
I can see it now -  the good Doctor highballin’ it in a butchered, un-air conditioned, cab-over, kidney busting cast off from the “Mad Max” movie set, scarfing down saltines and slammin’ tepid coffee from a cracked Thermos bottle.

Ahh, the romance of the open road.

“She who Must Be Obeyed” was talking about you dropping a few pounds – This drive will put you right at fighting weight.

And meanwhile - in Adelaide . . .

“He should have been here by now.  Honey, could you draw me a hot bath and a cold beer, please?”

I was seriously looking at a similar, yet older Ford cab-over – a grain hauler that still sits in my in-law’s neighbor’s machine shed.  The discussion ended when Mrs. Midget insisted that the backyard was not to be used as a parking spot for a civilian, agricultural version of a deuce-and-a-half.

Sunshine - congratulations on the acquisition – I’m jealous.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: