Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3198218 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1560 on: March 08, 2011, 05:54:06 AM »
We just have to have some AUDIO of the snarly little beast under full load---US 6 freaks just DEMAND to have a FIX :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1561 on: March 08, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I agree with Sparky - Even the perverted purveyor of the penta port pommy pygmy wants to hear this one "Holden" on.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:15:28 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1562 on: March 08, 2011, 11:14:12 PM »
We just have to have some AUDIO of the snarly little beast under full load---US 6 freaks just DEMAND to have a FIX :cheers:

Brummm Brummm
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1563 on: March 08, 2011, 11:37:43 PM »
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1564 on: March 08, 2011, 11:43:01 PM »
I've just tee'd up some engine dyno time

Wow - break her in and dial it up.  I knew you were tight on time in 2010, and didn't get to dyno the car, but this will remove a lot of the doubts you guys had last year.  

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1565 on: March 09, 2011, 12:12:36 AM »
I've just tee'd up some engine dyno time

Wow - break her in and dial it up.  I knew you were tight on time in 2010, and didn't get to dyno the car, but this will remove a lot of the doubts you guys had last year.  

Or remove the crank thru the bottom of the engine

Something very magical happens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo
Thanks to Greg for the link
G

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1566 on: March 09, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »
 :-D Now we know why the Doc put that cigarette lighter in the Bellytank..... :mrgreen: :cheers: :-D

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1567 on: March 09, 2011, 03:25:26 AM »
:-D Now we know why the Doc put that cigarette lighter in the Bellytank..... :mrgreen: :cheers: :-D

Na Paul, that's there so I can run my 12v vacuum cleaner for a little housework while I'm sitting at the start line........

Now ,
We just have to have some AUDIO of the snarly little beast under full load---US  freaks just DEMAND to have a FIX :cheers:

It'll sound better than this which was the first year out,basically stock.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e-mBOa3r3c

There is very little on this new motor that is the same.......but for now I'm going to leave you hanging...you might get really lucky and get to hear something from dyno day...I'll see what I can do.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1568 on: March 09, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Stew, if you do record watch out for clipping if recording digitally, dial down the input volume on whatever device you propose to use.

Have you got any of your nifty musician type analogue devices, reel to reel etc? That would be the go!

rH+

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1569 on: March 10, 2011, 06:07:15 AM »
I started day one of The Thrash with  a little shopping, another jerry can, oil for the truck and the engine-dyno session. I dropped in on Dwayne who's helped me out in the past with exhaust supplies, he like s a chat Dwayne.I headed to the Colonel's and we caught up with Dyno-Man to have a look over and work out whether we had everything we need to hitch it up.That all seems to be a goer....... Then the Colonel and I fitted up the throttle bodies , the injection with new injectors and the headers which needed some little scallops in the head flange to clear the new head studs. The inlet manifold has been in a polishing mill and been ceramic coated underneath, looks neat. The Colonel has simplified the belt pattern and eliminated one of the tensioners by turning the alternator the other way meaning the belt is shorter and the second tensioner which was always a little difficult to keep aligned is gone.

I bought a new Deka battery on the way home from Gerald at Ariel who is a real character....I got home and hit the shed. The last two years we have either driven the car back to the pits or towed it with someone steering. I took a Ford Prefect wishbone and made a tow bar that attaches to the hitch on the tow-truck so we can just hitch it up and tow it back, no engine heat, no beaten up driver or salt flicked into the cab......

more soon.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1570 on: March 10, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
Picked up the exhaust parts we need for the dyno this morning, 4 flanges two 9o degree bends and 2 yards of 2&1/2 ........150 bucks , ouch.

Paint is going on the canopy....

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1571 on: March 10, 2011, 11:27:47 PM »
Take stock.

Engine - done
Paint - drying
Cockpit, shifter, steering column - done
Induction - ready to tweak
Exhaust - under way
Dyno day - Tuesday
Tow vehicle - ready to roll
Brain bucket - ?
Weather - holding

You boys have covered a lot of ground since Christmas.

I raise my glass to you!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

You planning a full pull on Tuesday, or just a tune and break-in?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1572 on: March 10, 2011, 11:28:10 PM »
Will SOON be on the SALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1573 on: March 12, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
Thursday:  I was welding up the hitch I made so I can tow the tank on the salt ,being a wishbone it was kind of awkward, I picked it up  and it sort of swung around, I grabbed it , SSSSSSSSSSSSS, it wasn't quite red hot...I got it into cold water and then ice quick enough to stop the skin coming off...I've just got a very shiny 2 sq inches on the webbing between my index and thumb , oh yeah it smarted.

Friday : I was moving the truck to give me better access to the passengers side, I stuck my head out the passengers window to double check the clearance, then I wound the window up......I should have pulled my head in further because as my head touched the top of the window frame it sort of instinctively recoiled and I whacked my eye socket on the edge of the window, that hurt more than the burn.

Saturday: I woke up with a stiff back, dunno, heat rub. I start on the list of things we need to sort for the dyno on Monday.Now, bell-housing bolts, they'll be in the index-box for the engine bay.....I put everything that comes out of there in one sectioned index box...aforementioned bell housing bolts, engine mounts, exhaust flange bolts , gear linkage( god knows I used some impractical and hard to find pieces in there).

Where is the engine bay index box?

I call the Colonel, no answer. I start a heavy duty top to bottom strip search of the shed . No bananas , I employed the oft forgotten technique of randomly re-checking places I'd already looked....If I don't find this box a three hour job will be a ten hour job......  two hours later the Colonel calls......" yeah, you gave it to me, did you find anything useful?"..........dead spiders, snail shells,abrasive grit, dirt, live spiders.......At least the shed was cleaner than it had been and marginally tidier.......

I got the new battery and put it in place, " oh great, it's slightly shorter and fatter than the old one, no wonder the price was right"....we had a pretty neat battery retainer so I brought out the thinking cap for a rare pinch hit. I cut the base of the battery holder off and moved it out slightly and made a spacer pad out of hi-density neoprene , done.

The weld line at the very end of the cowl, where the parachute doors are has fried up a little and to be honest whoever prepped it before it was painted must have been in a serious hurry....er yeah. Sooo, it was bondo time.... with Michael Buble guiding me  

Tell me when will you be mine
Tell me bondo bondo bondo
We can share a love divine
Please don't make me wait again

When will you say yes to me
You mean happiness to me
Oh my love please tell me when

Every moments a day
Every day seems a lifetime
Let me show you the way
To a joy beyond compare

I can't wait a moment more
Say its me that you adore
And then darling tell me when.....

We , or at least the Colonel has managed to alter the belt path on the motor so it's shorter and uses one less tensioner, I chopped and polished the bracket that used to hold the other tensioner which will free up a bit of space at the front....That was one visit to the polisher with an awkward shaped lengthy object that didn't result in a DINMAR*...........

The circus continues today.

* Death, Injury or Near Miss Accident Report
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:27:03 PM by Dr Goggles »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1574 on: March 12, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
That song reminds me of one of my favorites (sp?) . . . "Bessa may, bessa may coolo".

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records