Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3193812 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1470 on: January 31, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »
Does the rental company know where you are taking their precious vehicle?

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1471 on: February 01, 2011, 06:24:26 PM »

That's what rental cars are for. Anytime I wanted to find other English speaking (Australians) people at Bonneville, I just looked for a rented Dodge Caravan.

I was seriously looking at a similar, yet older Ford cab-over – a grain hauler that still sits in my in-law’s neighbor’s machine shed.  The discussion ended when Mrs. Midget insisted that the backyard was not to be used as a parking spot for a civilian, agricultural version of a deuce-and-a-half.

Sunshine - congratulations on the acquisition – I’m jealous.

The best value for money trucks on the market here seem to be old CFA  fire engines. About ten years ago they replaced all their 2wd trucks with 4wd trucks. So there are all these twin cab 2wd fire engines with 20,000 to 30,000 miles on them going cheap. Just take the pump and tank off, put a tray on...... just a bit (lot) outside the budget.

On another note, 99 pages and 151,000+ views
After a quick review back thru the previous pages, we really do write a lot of subaru
We're not really that interesting, are we?

G
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:44:06 PM by grumm441 »
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Tman

« Reply #1472 on: February 01, 2011, 06:31:29 PM »
No but it is like a train wreck that you gotta watch! :-D

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1473 on: February 01, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »

...well I told them we are heading out west, so yes, they know which direction we are going, but its a big country!

I am planning to tape plastic down on the floor (a tip curtesy of local DLRA member Penny) to make an easier clean of it all internally. If the pits are as close as last year we may not even need to go onto the lake with it.

It really depends on the weather, if mild and Alice is fine under our shade tents then our dependence on it will be reduced.

Then again, there is a cyclone the size of two Texases up North... who knows what the weather is going to do next?

d

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1474 on: February 02, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »
Recent email conversation on the subject of trucks in the Spirit of Sunshine Team............

The Reverend wrote:Re: Old truck for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130482083277&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:AU:1123

*sniff*

The Doctor wrote:

I thought it was a C30?

I have the Trader tow-truck, drives OK, goes about 2 feet in 1st gear, gonna be fun on the dirt Grumpy, pretty savage understeer.

The Colonel wrote:

Ah , Bog cog

After your effort of trying to get yourself killed on the dirt road last year by your usual tail gating and driving on the wrong side of the road beside me
I will be bringing a cattle prod to remind you of safe driving practices
Understeer, that's how cab over trucks drive
G

The Doctor wrote:

That's not tailgating, go and watch the V8 Supercars, besides...unlike you I seemed to have pretty good traction.We'll need to suss the wipers in the Trader, his description of them "fine sometimes , slow or not working at all at other times " is right except for the first bit about them working at all.

The new injectors turned up yesterday.

Just for a laugh , I get home yesterday park the wagon across the street. when I get back in to move it into the drive I find that the ignition barrel has carked it and it won't start at all," hey!, I'm buying a TOW TRUCK!"....turns out the guy I bought the truck from works at Deer Park wreckers..."yeah , we've got 'em for forty bucks, and we've got free delivery" so I might as well get the  a/c blower motor as well...that car has stolen $1000 out of the racing budget in recent times.....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1475 on: February 02, 2011, 06:29:36 PM »
It was a C30 but theres only about C20 left...

I never used first in it either.

rH+

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1476 on: February 02, 2011, 07:42:19 PM »
. . . 99 pages and 151,000+ views
After a quick review back thru the previous pages, we really do write a lot of subaru

An unlikely project, well developed characters, posts from a land most of us know of but will never understand, and pictures to boot.  All the makings of a first class graphic novel.

Thanks for sharing it!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #1477 on: February 02, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »
. . . 99 pages and 151,000+ views

An unlikely project, well developed characters, posts from a land most of us know of but will never understand, and pictures to boot.  All the makings of a first class graphic novel.

Thanks for sharing it!

Or a Spaghetti Western! :-D

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #1478 on: February 02, 2011, 11:44:27 PM »
slow news day on the thread? Time for some melodrama: big wet from Queensland's Yasi heads toward the lake!
Fingers toes and bendy limbs crossed.
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1479 on: February 06, 2011, 02:19:25 AM »
In regards to the oil starvation problem, this is something I learned a couple of days ago.  It is to check the oil pickup screen very carefully for plugging from fuzz.  Very fine fuzz can be pulled up against the screen mesh by the oil flow and it is not visible during the casual inspections most of us do.  The fuzz could be residue from from wiping parts with shop rags, paper towels, or a disintegrating oil filter.  I was told this and I have not seen it first hand.  It seems to be reasonable advice.       

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1480 on: February 06, 2011, 08:06:12 AM »
big wet progress---IMNTK  :roll:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1481 on: February 06, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »
Progress this week

One of the more important things on the chalk board is more chalk

this is troubling

and can you call it a pit bike if it has three wheels and bends in the middle?

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1482 on: February 06, 2011, 09:25:11 PM »
Well, he's nearly right....there has been progress on other fronts although not obvious out in the shed. Got new injectors this week, a new SA 2010 helmet and of course bought the tow-truck.

The Colonel looked quite surprised that "it's not a shitter"....... I was hugely relieved that he said that , it'll make breaking the ice easier when we are standing beside it somewhere in remote desert Sth Australia, wondering how to fix it.

Yesterday we spent several hours trying to come up with a workable solution for the steering column. Previously we had a large spring loaded pin through the column as a quick release, it was easy to find , operate and it never failed. We have used a Speedway quick release this time , it looks like a bought one, but even when doused in lubricant it can be notchy and somewhat difficult to operate....I think we may have taken a step backwards there but hey, if it's got a sticker on it and it's made from anodized or  plaskoted Al it must be a racing part, right?

We had a monir hitch with the cam last week, that is being sorted out as we speak. We had a minor hitch with the timing gear, that is being sorted as we speak too......

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Tman

« Reply #1483 on: February 06, 2011, 09:35:25 PM »
Well, he's nearly right....there has been progress on other fronts although not obvious out in the shed. Got new injectors this week, a new SA 2010 helmet and of course bought the tow-truck.

The Colonel looked quite surprised that "it's not a shitter"....... I was hugely relieved that he said that , it'll make breaking the ice easier when we are standing beside it somewhere in remote desert Sth Australia, wondering how to fix it.

Yesterday we spent several hours trying to come up with a workable solution for the steering column. Previously we had a large spring loaded pin through the column as a quick release, it was easy to find , operate and it never failed. We have used a Speedway quick release this time , it looks like a bought one, but even when doused in lubricant it can be notchy and somewhat difficult to operate....I think we may have taken a step backwards there but hey, if it's got a sticker on it and it's made from anodized or  plaskoted Al it must be a racing part, right?

We had a monir hitch with the cam last week, that is being sorted out as we speak. We had a minor hitch with the timing gear, that is being sorted as we speak too......

You have found out what a lot of of stateside know, much of Speedways stuff sucks!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1484 on: February 06, 2011, 09:54:56 PM »
big wet progress---IMNTK  :roll:

The catchment around Gairdner is actually quite small, there needs to be a direct hit .The meeting is now scheduled away from the full moon which many of us in the club believed was responsible for a soft surface.

Having said that there have been record rainfalls all over the country and the recent cyclone that hit Queensland has brought massive rain troughs across half of the country.

Fingers crossed......or as my old man would have said ....cringers fossed. :roll: