Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3197482 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1545 on: March 01, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
she had a snake for a pet
and an amulet

or ,
I mean her mendocino beano

I had a listen to it this morning... Frank's guitar is just beautiful, mournful....and the lyrics are so weird and crude....what a gem.

Anyway, from the surreal to the sublime..

There was a positive report on the salt from this weekend just gone, the entry/exit area is soft which is always a problem. The other issue which I am concerned about is we have a real close full moon the Saturday night before race week.....and that's bad for the groundwater situation........

........might be time for a quick rendition of Zombie Woof....( yeah , another track from Overnight Sensation)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:14:51 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1546 on: March 01, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »
On another front I'd ordered a new helmet from a mob in Camarillo Ca. who promptly debited my card and neglected to inform me that they did not have the item in stock....... a month later no word, I asked that my money be returned.....it's time to call Mastercard.....

Swear to God they got the most.  At every business on the coast.
FZ
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline racergeo

« Reply #1547 on: March 01, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »
   Jimmy me boy, get that da*n car done! Enough journo jabber :lol:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1548 on: March 05, 2011, 11:22:52 PM »
For pre-oiling, I use a 5lb fire extinguisher bottle with valve that I cleaned out. Works great. I have an external filter, so I tapped into the pump side so all the oil is ran through the filter before the engine.
Ron
Ron
I did think about using a fire extinguisher. but I will be going with the gas bottle, with a filter
because all the fittings on it are the right size
G

I searched around the various sheds full of trash at my house to work out what I was going to use to prime the motor and check that the oil was coming out the right places with the lift on the new cam. With the oil pump being driven off the crank, and no distributor to pull out, you cant just insert a tool on the end of a drill.
So I looked at fire extinguishers, old gas bottles and other assorted pressure vessels that really belong at the dump. The odds on favourite was a stainless steel automotive LPG tank that is going into my "41 chev pickup, one day!
then when I was looking for something else I found the thing I used to use for getting brake fluid to flow through stubborn scooters
Yep, it's a garden sprayer. nice and clean inside and makes a surprising amount of pressure.
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1549 on: March 06, 2011, 05:09:53 AM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1550 on: March 06, 2011, 05:45:11 AM »
:cheers:

Yes Sparky
Then I had a beer
Homebrew
G

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1551 on: March 06, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »
The midnight hour looms and yet I made little progress in the shed over the weekend. I had a live radio show and then yesterday we'd forgotten about a christening in the family , the Catholic Church has adopted Henry Ford's production line idea and made it work wonderfully for baptism.....following that I had a gig, this is not the time of year for gigs, I have other things on my mind.

The parachute release has finally been nailed with a rip-cord , the bear-claw catch with solenoid had two incidental problems....1./ it sometimes released when you didn't want it to,. 2./ It sometimes didn't open when you wanted it to.

It has annoyed me for a long time, hopefully that's the end of it.

Yesterday I started to put the bodywork on the nose. It has a collection of "bungs" which space the aluminium tank skin from the frame of the canopy....they'd become a little rusty and some of them were siezed. I freed them up and took them all off . It was at the point that I picked them off and put them on the bench that I realised they were ALL different, oh great.I had recollections of this not being a quick job. So I made a fresh start at it, I won't know until the tub goes on whether it all lines up properly but it seemed to be relatively painless ...fingers crossed.

As described above it seems that oiling all seems to be heading to the right places...... I've been steadily mustering all the bits and pieces for the reassembly...I'm adding another vac-u-pan but of course I can't start on that til it's all in there because wherever the line is to go there won't be much room.

I'm mustering all the camping stuff, jerry cans for fuel....the Landcruiser which used to tow the car would do the round trip into the lake with a full tank and 60 litres in reserve, I have a feeling the truck is going to need a hundred....I bought a huge chilly bin last week...... so anyway, I wake up at 5am with lists running through my head of all the stuff I have to do....I then remember what I have to do is sleep, so I can do all the other stuff when it is light......so much to do, so little time.
Word came in on the DLRA site that the Lake is in tip top shape and the road in is in the best condition that anyone can remember.

The upside of the family get together yesterday was that I got to talk to the brother in law who is a signwriter and did the vinyl cut lettering for the tank in 09 when it first went out....I have to come up with something for the doors of the truck.....

Messsers Jarman Stewart and Hadley: Purveyors of fine Bellytank Lakesters....

or something like that...

Fire Away!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:54:59 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1552 on: March 06, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »
"Bellytank purves"

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #1553 on: March 06, 2011, 08:13:49 PM »
Beerbelly Transport!  :-o
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1554 on: March 07, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
Last night I finished the last few details on the trucks tow-bar and also riveted a reflective plate to the rear panel of the truck...then I returned to the fitting of the bodywork on the tank canopy.....I made a few fresh bungs and it seems to sit pretty well....now to fit the tub and see if it all lines up OK, having done that I knocked out a few dings and gave it a light sand....the nose of the car is a difficult shape.. :roll: it's always got a little bit of cellulite....

I couldn't spend all night doing that as I had an important cultural event to attend to.

The Annual Cleaning of the Spray Guns !

I dunno whether it's that I'm just lazy or whether it's the effect that thinners has on my hands now but I'd sooner perform my own dental extractions than disassemble and clean a spray gun.However , I have a bit of paint to lay down and it's pretty obvious that I'm going to be in a hurry whatever happens and so uncharacteristically I had the foresight to perform a little preventative maintenance.A wheezy , sputtery, lid-stuck-on one air-hole blocked gun is no-one's friend . Last weekends effort of pouring paint into the spray-gun case was a winning effort so in the interest of sanity and good workmanship I sat down to huff some thinners.

Acrylic thinners are not an insect repellent. It has been a season of plenty here. The drought broke , and then it broke again, and again, and again...as a result all of gods creatures have gone forth and multiplied. We had close to a million red-back spiders here in the back yard, then there was the age of the daddy-long legs..(they eat other spiders).....now there are parts of the garden that look like a tropical swamp with spider webs tying everything together ...anyway, needless to day there have NEVER been so many mosquitoes....and there is a warning out about amongst other things Murray Valley encephalitus, and that'll kill you.

At one point I swatted three mozzies in one hit .....all this to the background chorus of crickets,a billion of them on a steady march across the country.

OK. speaking of preventative maintenance here's a post I put on the DLRA site about travelling to and from the salt in 2006.....

The next year I drove my EH panel van that had lived a life of parts taken from other cars. On the freeway just out of Adelaide , yeah on the way down it threw the harmonic balancer , it was just getting dark. I pulled out the radiator( it was hot in there let me tell you), got out the little home made puller and got the spare balancer (yeah, I know) fitted in about 30mins......It went OK all the way to Iron Knob except for one moment on the road just before the Gutter where it just died , bleugh..... while we were doing 100k's..?????? started straight up again, I didn't want to look until later........So we stock up in the Gutter , as soon as we hit the dirt it starts running hotter....it was 46 degrees that day, the van has an area above your head that I swear is a perfectly shaped lens to focus radiant heat on your head.......it boiled about six times from there on and it was dangerous to get out of the car unless there was shade, needless to say it took ages to cool down each time. Had no trouble there except a brand new tyre got a cut from a rock that looked like it had been slashed by a machete...it was new because we'd had three flats on the way, by the way....oh yeah and I got a $295 speeding fine and lost my wallet with $550 in it when I got pulled up....I'd been bleating like a sheep and we were laughing so hard we missed the 60kmh sign........

Anyway...on the trip we home we ditched the trailer to the Chev...the car still boiled a couple of times on the way out and it felt weird too... and I didn't feel the best either...We got to Port Wakefield and I noticed that the replaced harmonic balancer had walked half off( I would like to point out that at this point I remember standing at a roadhouse in Pt Wakefield covered in red dust and Jon Amo standing there and looking at me and the beleaguered rig and shaking his head and laughing)......the local auto-wrecker wanted $30 for one, it was so tight on the crank it broke my puller and he didn't have one,I left empty handed....We made it to Gawler and got to Repco 5 mins before it shut I bought a 2 cheap crap pullers and a new balancer for $20....we pulled up in a shady park next to the pool, the others went for a swim.....I realised then that I had diarhorea, and with the handy store bought pullers I had a big job on my hands getting the balancer off... it took about two and a half hours, it was 40 degrees.

It was a pretty uneventful trip home we didn't talk much because the gearbox was howling so loudly in top that it was hard to hear much..

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1555 on: March 07, 2011, 05:59:18 PM »
I remember that trip well. The swim was soooo refreshing.

I have a photo of you from that trip just as we got off the dirt road. Both of you were covered in red dust because you were driving behind me in the truck with your windows open, and with your glasses off you looked like some kind of weird inverse pandas.

Ahh memories. Bring it on!

d

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1556 on: March 07, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »

Cleaning of the Spray Guns !

:-o

Oh, shit - I forgot about that during my thrash last year.

For sale - used Campbell Hausfeld spray gun.

Cheap.

PM me.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1557 on: March 07, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »
Is Harborfreight down there?

"Cleans a single cup and paint gun in one minute!" - $99.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/paint-spray-gun-washer-94996.html

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1558 on: March 08, 2011, 02:19:41 AM »
Zipped up and ready to go 201?
G

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1559 on: March 08, 2011, 05:03:37 AM »
I've just tee'd up some engine dyno time, yes George.That will likely be Tuesday, we leave Friday...I'd like to do a dummy fit before then but I don't think that's going to happen. I still have to paint the tank......I knock off work tomorrow so I've got a busy week ahead of me.

I just spoke to a newish member of the DLRA Nigel who will be crewing for us this year, he's a fitter and turner and a car head who has an old FED if my memory serves me correctly.....I hope it gets past the dyno.