Author Topic: World Finals  (Read 175048 times)

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
Re: World Finals
« Reply #525 on: October 08, 2010, 06:38:47 PM »
Thats the fastest I've heard for the Red Ferrari #7007 (228.680mph) which will give him his "A" license he was after, say what happened to the other Black Ferrari # 288????? I think I heard he stopped on the course ealier this morning, engine damage?????
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #526 on: October 08, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
This'll teach Nancy and me to hang around at the start line.  John Levie just asked if we'd each drive one of the trucks that his team is using to recover both of the bikes -- and of course we said yes, being like most every racer.  So I'll be down the course for a while.  John's riding the 100cc turboed Honda 90 bike in A/PS/BG 100 bike sponsored by Scott Guthrie Racing, and I don't know what his partner will run -- the bike is still in his truck.

That's it for a little while - will be back soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #527 on: October 08, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »
We're on a wind hold...it ain't lookin good.  Wind 18-21 with dust and rain.  I just brought my camera and tripod in.  It might pass, cuz there's some sunlight to the west, but ya never know.  Mormon Missile and the Marcotte liner still hope to make qualifying runs this afternoon.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #528 on: October 08, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
Thanks, Ray -- I wuz gonna say about the same thing.  By the way, I just left a voicemail for you -- birthday party/supper tonight at 8 at the restaurant in the Rainbow.  Land's End Lynda is the honoree. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #529 on: October 08, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »
Not many vehicles running this late in the day, in the meet, so forgive the lulls.  Oh, wait --= what am I saying?  You all know better than that -- that land speed racing is usually long minutes, nay hours, of inactivity - interspersed with a few seconds of frantic excitement.  Sorta like --

Baseball?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #530 on: October 08, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »
Wind hold is over for the moment.  Short course bike (can't remember which one) is running now.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #531 on: October 08, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »
Got some bikes here:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #532 on: October 08, 2010, 07:35:49 PM »
And I got some cars here. 

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #533 on: October 08, 2010, 08:00:49 PM »
...and some from the pits and impound.

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #534 on: October 08, 2010, 08:01:58 PM »
Thanks for the photo of the other Farrari #288, (AA/BFMS) I thought it was Black, but that was a mistake, it is Red!!  nice car and fast!!265mph earlier this morning!
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline joea

« Reply #535 on: October 08, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »
""""If he is running LSR tires this time (which you said he wasn't) then from pictures he does not have much rake added to it who knows?

He made one great run and it worked before with other tires, then hurt it on the return and since then has not made a good speed run..what changed?"""

John...i know the 8 or more runs over 240 and the 4 or so over 250's were not great, and even the speeds over 250 in first mile
and the 272 in middle mile werent great as it indicates were just not getting all we can out of it......so at least we agree on that...

its pitiful really.....

pics may be tough to make great assumptions...the bike was raked 4 degrees over a zx11 stock which is around 26.5 your busa's are
around 24.5 or so...so your seeing quite abit more rake than what you typically run....and abunch more trail than most any sport
bikes....

the bike has alot more ground clearance than most  lowered busas....and much higher than we ran before....

i simply have managed to engineer in some issues...that arent working as we would like...and i hope in the process we learned things that will become a positive in the future...

thats just how i roll, often finding out what doesnt work now to find something that might work later....

yes bill distance and aero can be great....especially when coupled with the added challenge of maintaining the speed and hp on a very  diminished traction surface and a timing trap that is 40 times longer than that at the other tracks...

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #536 on: October 08, 2010, 08:29:32 PM »
""""If he is running LSR tires this time (which you said he wasn't) then from pictures he does not have much rake added to it who knows?

He made one great run and it worked before with other tires, then hurt it on the return and since then has not made a good speed run..what changed?"""

John...i know the 8 or more runs over 240 and the 4 or so over 250's were not great, and even the speeds over 250 in first mile
and the 272 in middle mile werent great as it indicates were just not getting all we can out of it......so at least we agree on that...

its pitiful really.....

pics may be tough to make great assumptions...the bike was raked 4 degrees over a zx11 stock which is around 26.5 your busa's are
around 24.5 or so...so your seeing quite abit more rake than what you typically run....and abunch more trail than most any sport
bikes....

the bike has alot more ground clearance than most  lowered busas....and much higher than we ran before....

i simply have managed to engineer in some issues...that arent working as we would like...and i hope in the process we learned things that will become a positive in the future...

thats just how i roll, often finding out what doesnt work now to find something that might work later....

yes bill distance and aero can be great....especially when coupled with the added challenge of maintaining the speed and hp on a very  diminished traction surface and a timing trap that is 40 times longer than that at the other tracks...

Classic... :cheers:

So what is it, how and when can you fix it, are you still there or at home/on the way..?

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #537 on: October 08, 2010, 08:31:01 PM »
We is all done for the night.  I'm outta here.

Oh...if I'm not mistaken, It's Land's End Lynda's birthday.  We're havin a little dinner for her tonite.  Ya might wanna wish her a HB.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #538 on: October 08, 2010, 08:42:44 PM »
Tomorrow is the sctual date
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #539 on: October 08, 2010, 08:43:37 PM »
hey John, already home...

another year of unfullfilled aspirations....

like any decent addiction....