Author Topic: World Finals  (Read 175039 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: World Finals
« Reply #645 on: October 11, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
The 282 mph Gas/Roadster had 4WD...................no longer allowed
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline mkilger

« Reply #646 on: October 11, 2010, 10:06:10 AM »
Jim the 282 was Blown gas roadster, good to see you in inpound

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #647 on: October 11, 2010, 03:15:56 PM »
Saturday it appears the last few bugs were worked out in the audio.  Ron Cohn packed up his broadcast unit and stopped by with the news that next year he'll bring a new transmitter which will accept our audio line out from the tower.  No more background chatter.  It's going to be much easier with better sound quality.  The biggest problems were my fault.  Before leaving for SLC, took the netbook to Best Buy and loaded the pre-paid broadband and the computer acted up.  Went over to the Geek Squad who kept it for an hour and gave it back "working." My plane was not going to wait, so I headed to the airport without playing with it.  On the salt, several people helped overcome some of the spyware and glitches.  Like I said, I've been hammering Macs so long, it takes awhile to remember how to thrash a Windows computer into shape.  Took off one morning into Wendover to check the pawn shops for another unit.  The pawn broker at one place had hunched shoulders.  I asked if it was his ass since everything else was so high in the store.  Pilot truck stop had a netbook in the electronics case, but priced double what I could have done if I kept driving to SLC. 

It appears to me that we've got a handle on how to do this right, next time.  And what equipment to have on hand in case something goes gunny sack.  When the broadcast booth is finished for the day, we should be able to stay on with CB channels for awhile, or run them early in the morning before the FM goes live.  This was an experiment.  Like racing, there is always next year!
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #648 on: October 11, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »
I just talked to Ray Therat. He and companion Pork Pie arrived in Taylorsville several hours ago.

PP has an early morning flight and they have said their Good Byes for this time.

Therat likes him but not enough to be awaken for a sendoff.

THANKS A LOT

FREUD

Freud,

I took care that he could sleep thru.....and it was really necessary...he need the nap.....I had all my luggage down by the door so that I could snail out without making noises....and due to this that I still saw not a note from him here on landracing...he may be still sleeps.....

Honestly, there was no reason to wake up Ray at 5.45 am...far too early for a proper breakfast....

BTW, Freud thanks for the birthday present from you and the 550 team - give Marlo the best regards and a big thank you from my side -it was a big surprise....I will wear it in the wintertime.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Papi

« Reply #649 on: October 11, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »
Wow. What a great time, bad weather and all. We ran our personal best with a 199.480 and a soft 200.076 out the exit.
It was great to see all the MC LSR's again, including our forum master Slim and MrsSlim. The amazing amount of personal endeavor and brewed engineering in speed just amazes me every time.

Regardless of the conditions on rainy times, you just cannot beat the feeling you get running down the great white dyno.

Thanks to everyone from the BNI-SCTA, the MC Techs and Van Butler, to all the volunteers in Lynda's crew at LE, to our GVOB Glen, Scott on the FM broadcast and Jim Jensen for rooting me on at the line.  Great times again.  Thank you all and can't wait till next year already!!
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #650 on: October 11, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »
A few words of thanks to my timing staff. Three weeks ago I was looking for help to assist in the timing trailer for the world finals. The team was put together and all went very well except a bad wire on the #2  combo course. This was handled by the Rice bros and the wire team, fast Fred, and his crew were ready and able to replace two wires in a short time. The timing staff, Anne & larry lindsley, Tammy McDowell,Paula Meirele, Jeff McVey, Alysha Srch all volunteers except for Anne and Tammy.

The team worked very well together and rotated through the entire meet to learn the systems. I am so proud of all of them and know there will be people next year to work in timing at the events. There were only a few of us but the loudest cheering section on the salt. We are always the first to know the speed and what each racer is trying to better,

Please accept our pleasure in having the honor what you the racer does as well as the entire bunch of volunteers to make it happen

We have the best seat in the house and you put on the best show.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #651 on: October 11, 2010, 08:50:48 PM »
Pork Pie....do you get the message?

You are one of us.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Motornoggin

• New folks
  • Speed Freak
« Reply #652 on: October 11, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed spectating, talking with some of the racers and helping with the team (#288 Cavallo Volante). The ingenuity displayed by the race teams is inspiring! I can't imagine the amount of work it takes to put on an event of this scope. Thanks from a new guy!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #653 on: October 11, 2010, 09:45:06 PM »
Motornoggen you should have seen speed week if you think this was big. The last two speed weeks were awesome in size and the number of runs. LSR people are the best.
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:54:40 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Motornoggin

• New folks
  • Speed Freak
« Reply #654 on: October 11, 2010, 10:48:14 PM »
Glen,

I understand Speed Week is much larger. I can't wait to see it!

The event and racers remind me of my boat racing days years ago. Lots of freindly people who would bend over backwards to help a competitor, even though that competitor might beat them on the course.

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #655 on: October 11, 2010, 11:02:59 PM »
Thanks to Mike and Randy letting me ride along with them on Saturday.  got to be there when the 911 roadster went 304.606, i am still speechless on that one...saw Channing Hammond get his Blue hat, my tour of the timing tower, and many more memorable events that i would have not seen if it had not been for that ride along......
Hey maybe next year at Speedweek we can do it again..... Well after I make my passes in the Fairlane...

Thanks again!!!!!! :-D

Offline mkilger

« Reply #656 on: October 11, 2010, 11:33:33 PM »
Thanks cheeto racer, we had a good time too   maybe your other half can go next year with Randy. the ride in the Missile  made my day.

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #657 on: October 11, 2010, 11:46:09 PM »
Thanks to Mike and Randy letting me ride along with them on Saturday.  got to be there when the 911 roadster went 304.606, i am still speechless on that one...saw Channing Hammond get his Blue hat, my tour of the timing tower, and many more memorable events that i would have not seen if it had not been for that ride along......
Hey maybe next year at Speedweek we can do it again..... Well after I make my passes in the Fairlane...

Thanks again!!!!!! :-D

i saw that 304 pass too. boy was it cool.  hey celia don't you mean make passes in the new car? i hope you guys have'nt changed your minds. i'll be calling soon. :-D
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #658 on: October 12, 2010, 02:05:39 AM »
Quote from: BALS aSALT

[/quote
i saw that 304 pass too. boy was it cool. 

Good thing you went!!!   You got to see a bit of history.  I would love to have been there.  Now you won't die wonderin'  Glad you made it!!
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Scott

« Reply #659 on: October 12, 2010, 02:07:21 AM »
Skip Hedrich asked me to thank the people who helped with our thrash the afternoon of Oct 7th and morning of the 8th trying to get 992 B/FS ready for the record run. George Fields and Crew, Doug Robinson of the BMR Team, James LaMere, Nick Sutton, Frank the Deist Rep. and many others that we didn't know.
And also a big Thank You to the BNI-SCTA and other Racers for their patience with us. We didn't make it in time but we tried our best.    
                                          Scott :-P
push truck driver