Author Topic: World Finals  (Read 175038 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: World Finals
« Reply #540 on: October 08, 2010, 08:46:51 PM »
hello everyone  I really miss all of you. I'll be back one of these days soon..I hope!!!

Lynda
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #541 on: October 08, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »
I would like to thank all you guys and gals for the great updates and photos and live audio so we could enjoy this race day, we appreciate your hard work,  I sure hope my boss at work doesn't fire me because I spent all day at my desk and computer watching and listening to your race results.  OOPS!!! I forgot I haven't worked in 5 years!! Must have been a Senior moment!!   :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #542 on: October 08, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »
Happy Birthday Lynda from us in Missouri.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Plan B

« Reply #543 on: October 08, 2010, 09:44:03 PM »
to 4-barrel Mike and everyone, re: post #502 ...... "is that car legal ?" .......
http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=4a901c25eb18819b5c27d49b7&id=f52250f91b&e=24d3b673e4

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #544 on: October 08, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »
Anyone know if Moon Eyes made it to Impound?
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #545 on: October 08, 2010, 10:42:47 PM »
to 4-barrel Mike and everyone, re: post #502 ...... "is that car legal ?" .......
http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=4a901c25eb18819b5c27d49b7&id=f52250f91b&e=24d3b673e4

Cool!   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #546 on: October 08, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »
I just got a text from the salt. Car #911 Beck-Cummins-Davidson Fuel Roadster 297 mph!!!

Mike,

Thanks for the post. That is moving for a Roadster.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #547 on: October 08, 2010, 11:34:38 PM »
   To everyone who is a part of Land Speed Racing :  This has been a wonderfull year of racing for all of us.  We lost no lives on the salt, we had good salt overall, we saw new entrants, new records set, met new friends, and to top it off, kept reaching out towards each of our own goals.
  Lets all take a moment to reflect, remember those who helped make it all possible, and reflect about who or what made our wonderful sport posible: from the "Evil" rule makers, to the folks who belt us in and give us the thumbs up, we are all of the same blood. 
  I salute the Dan Warners, the Jim Jensons, and all the course workers whose names I don't have a clue as to............... I thank you for my health, my safety, my knowledge that you will sacrifice your time and wellbeing to make my dreams come true.
  Even if I have never met you, I love you with all my heart........... see you in August,   Bob 

Bob Drury

Offline sabat

« Reply #548 on: October 08, 2010, 11:43:31 PM »
   To everyone who is a part of Land Speed Racing :  This has been a wonderfull year of racing for all of us.  We lost no lives on the salt, we had good salt overall, we saw new entrants, new records set, met new friends, and to top it off, kept reaching out towards each of our own goals.
  Lets all take a moment to reflect, remember those who helped make it all possible, and reflect about who or what made our wonderful sport posible: from the "Evil" rule makers, to the folks who belt us in and give us the thumbs up, we are all of the same blood. 
  I salute the Dan Warners, the Jim Jensons, and all the course workers whose names I don't have a clue as to............... I thank you for my health, my safety, my knowledge that you will sacrifice your time and wellbeing to make my dreams come true.
  Even if I have never met you, I love you with all my heart........... see you in August,   Bob 

Well said, +1

LittleLiner

« Reply #549 on: October 08, 2010, 11:45:54 PM »
Nice story . . .although they do not conclude if the car is or is not legal without doors.   I suspect they had to change to time only.  Rule book plainly says that the car must have doors in original location.  The rules also state that the older coupes can run without fenders and running boards in the ALTERED class.  Not sure why they were trying to run in the Gas Coupe class without fenders . . .

In any case . . .it's a really kool car and neat story . . . .

Offline Livin1072

« Reply #550 on: October 09, 2010, 12:23:07 AM »
  To everyone who is a part of Land Speed Racing :  This has been a wonderfull year of racing for all of us.  We lost no lives on the salt, we had good salt overall, we saw new entrants, new records set, met new friends, and to top it off, kept reaching out towards each of our own goals.
  Even if I have never met you, I love you with all my heart........... see you in August,   Bob  

Beautiful!  :cheers:

Team SGR Mr Turbo Racing
259.9 mph Texas '09 / 264.3 mph Maxton '10 / 265.1 mph Loring '09

Offline hechtrod

• MyRideisMe.com
« Reply #551 on: October 09, 2010, 12:24:10 AM »
My friend and I had a good time out there today.  I was real nervous when we got to lands end and saw the standing water out on the salt.  My first time with water.  It's a blessing and a curse if you will.  Makes for great static photos.  haha  But everyone likes to see 'em go fast, which we also saw today.  

I got some great (imo) photos of the Bville Bombshell Buick and the Blackhorse Ferrari on water for some beauty shots.  I'll post some in here once they're edited.  I'm not as fast as the rat.  ;)

Nice to meet you today Ray as well.  Sorry you had to police the salt rookies.  It was kinda cool though, course starter (Jim Jensen?) took that little family of newbies and during a lull in racing he brought them over to a roadster that was at the starting line and showed them the car, had them say hi to the driver, kinduv a cool moment.

Anyway, good times today.  Bummed that its ... is that Speed Week 2011 countdown up yet?  

Chris

Offline RVilhauer

• New folks
« Reply #552 on: October 09, 2010, 12:33:01 AM »

Take the fairies off and narrow it down to tires or set-up.

Bill

I agree with you Bill. Strip her down for a naked run, and get a baseline first. I disagree with Jon's statement-"if it dont feel good at 200 it isnt going to get any better at 280+..." According to Joe himself, last year it was a bit of a handful, until he got over  240+, then he said it "hunkered down, and went straight as an arrow." I suspect there was a transitional range for that bike/body/suspension/tire combo, and once he got up to that speed, the body began to "work." Just a layman's take on things, but I suspect Joe knows what he was talking about! In addition, most racers know that you should only change one thing at a time to KNOW if it made a difference. Joe changed a number of things since last year, and any one, or combination of them could be affecting his handling. Best of luck to you Joe! We're pulling for you back here in SD!
To Bill: Congrats on your fantastic 272+ runs!!
[/quote]

Rvilhauer,

Please explain to me when a violent tank slapper can get better over 200???? Joe's statements about a handfull last year and got better at speed is a totally different issue then what he was experiencing now. he has always had some uneasy feeling and been able to drive thru them but this is different.
Joe and i talked alot obout taking body off the bike, and he came to conclusion he can not solve nor learn anything from it.

First off now you have induced a totally different air stream which might cause other problems and get away from root cause.
 Then there is the packaging issues when you take body off, that have to be delt with, there is alot of stuff under the body.

Actually I am really sorry I said anything about what was going on with it. I just wanted to let people know the status on him.

JonAmo

[/quote]

Jon,
Let me first begin by offering my sincere apologies. I guess we are disagreeing on semantics here :|, not racing.

Your statement, "Joe made a test pass and didn't like what he felt." was interpreted by myself, to mean just what you say in your later reply, "he has always had some uneasy feeling and been able to drive thru them."

Joe mentions this "instability" as he has often experienced it, in his interview with  Rocky Robinson.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/287/5330/Motorcycle-Article/Salt-Addiction-Joe-Amo.aspx
I quote from the article, "I’ve always engineered a fair amount of instability into my bike and have gotten close to the markers over the years. This time between the instability that I seem to enjoy............."
I thought you were referring to a similar situation. This, plus my knowledge that he had pulled off during Speed Week because it didn't feel right, only supported my assumption. Had you said, "violent tank slapper ....... over 200," in the first place, I would have better understood what you were reporting, as would others. I would probably have kept my comments to myself. Joe, self admittedly, did drive out of his handling issues last year, and had fantastic success, compared to his run of near 115 MPH at this year's Speed Week.

I also agree with you, having seen the bike many times up close, that there is a lot of stuff under the body, and there could be packaging issues with the body off, that would need to be secured, and addressed. That all being said, please consider the following:

Knowing that Joe had intended to go back to last year's tires, and wheels before he left home for the World Finals, led me to believe he had already done so. It would logically follow then, that he would also be using the same suspension set up as he had with that successful wheel/tire package. If both of these were true, then the new body would become first suspect. A naked run then, under these conditions, would establish if the handling issues were specifically due to the new body. This would be especially true, if his speeds were only in the 100 MPH range, like at Speed Week.

That all being said, I doubt he would "have induced a totally different air stream which might cause other problems and get away from root cause."  Air stream on a naked bike, traveling at about 100 MPH would be of little consequence. People ride factory bikes every day which are capable of this.

Your statement of being, "really sorry I said anything about what was going on with it.", then becomes in direct contradiction to your following statement of, "I just wanted to let people know the status on him."

Please try to understand that those of us reading and replying, who also take a great interest in your brother's successes, are glued to ANY report of how he is doing. Had we been following a thread about Drew Brees, of the NFL, Jimmy Johnson of NASCAR, or Michael Jordan's career in the NBA, there would be no lack of information for us to pore over. Since this forum is nearly the only "media" coverage we have, we hang on every word. Joe is, after all, one of an elite few on this planet, who have ever made these kinds of accomplishments in their sport.

At any rate, so as to avoid any more controversy on the forum, I will refrain myself from making ANY further comments. I am merely trying to explain, how, and what I was thinking, and make amends to any who may have been offended. My forum post was based upon the very limited information I was able to get, and my own, obviously incorrect, assumptions. I will keep my thoughts to myself from now on. I tried to remove my comments, after seeing I had misunderstood the information from your original post, but was unable to, since you quoted them in your reply. Please let SSS know he may pull them down if they seemed inappropriate in any way.

Again, my sincere apology for my misunderstanding of the situation as it was reported, and for any hard feelings it may have caused. I assure you that Joe's safety, and best interests, are of my utmost concern.

Respectfully,
Randy Vilhauer

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #553 on: October 09, 2010, 12:50:47 AM »
  Randy, speaking as a man who has overstepped his own inteligence on this site more than once,  I think that most of us regulars realize that owning one of these damn computers not only gives us the ability to overstate our opinions, but to exercise bravado without thinking thru the implications of what we have just expressed. 
  While hurt feelings or emotions can often lead us astray, most likely the next day we all recover and realize that amongst our faults lie the fact that allthough while mostly right, we all are occasionly wrong.
  Please do not extract yourself from expresssing your current or future opinions for fear of being osctricized:  we need all the humility avalable on this site.......................  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #554 on: October 09, 2010, 08:23:57 AM »
The runs from Friday are now posted on the scta-bni site
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8