Author Topic: World Finals  (Read 174595 times)

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
Re: World Finals
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2010, 04:15:02 PM »
I sure hope the bad weather holds off so this race can be successful!!  This is the 1st WF that I have missed in 4 years,  I know how hard SCTA officials and workers work do to make this race possible, so I want to thank those folks for the hard work and long hours!!  :cheers:
  I pray it will be a safe race for the racers and spectators,  take care, Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »
Here's the first batch of "who's at WF this year?" photos.

Here's Rob Cohn and his car - sporting the new left front tire:

As usual - if you've got questions about a car or bike you see here -- go ahead and ask and, if I can find the answer (or, for that matter, the vehicle itself) I'll post it.  

I might have more photos -- stay tuned.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:52:23 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2010, 04:45:17 PM »
Here's the rest of that first batch:

Those rascals from Columbus, Montana, are back with the Salt Cat.

Mack trucks wear a Bulldog, Internationals use piggies with wings:

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2010, 04:54:24 PM »
Hey -- I've just seen a couple of streamliners -- so there ae so Known cars here that could lay down big numbers.  The Mormon Missile just trailered past us, probably returning from tech, and a few minutes before that was Skip Hedrich's car.  There are other 'liners, of course -- but both of those two have been well into the mid-300s.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »
Here's a teaser -- we're going to experiment for the next few days with the long-promised, even longer-hoped-for -- live audio streaming from the salt.  It's just an experiment, so don't complain too much if it isn't perfect.  Maybe it'll turn out great, and more likely we'll learn some of the things that need fine-tuning. 

I don't think it'll be right here on the site -- more likely I'll post a link where you'll have to go.  It'll be free to youse guys - although there's a charge incurred, it's only at my end of the system.  And for this experiment  we've got a member that's agreed to foot the bill (although I'm likely to help him recover some of the $$).  If we get it working right -- I've got hopes that I'll be able to sell it (that is, to a sponsor) that'll get audio commercials, so to speak, in return for paying all costs at future events.

So - check back here (as if you wouldn't anyway) and get ready to hear Glen Barrett telling so-and-so to "take it to impound, buddy!"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bobby c

« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2010, 06:02:15 PM »
As usual Jon the pics and info are fantastic!
I am truly looking forward to a few more days of abusing my F5 key!
Thank you Jon, Nancy, RTR and all the others who haved helped us undeserving lowlifes get our FIX!
I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see how the audio works!
I hope everyone goes fast, stops safe and has a great time!
If anyone still has not sent a donation to this website please take the time to do it right now!

Bob

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2010, 07:48:37 PM »
Slim's posted some great photos...I'll be posting some as soon as I find the interface cable for my "baby" camera, the Panastonisment Lumix FH20...which I used to capture a few shots before retiring to my motel room.  I wonder where I put that cable...hmmm...

Offline k.h.

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2010, 08:30:30 PM »
Not very many bikes here, yet.  I expect a few will trickle in before Saturday.  A fellow pulled with a 2006 BMW off road bike, Alaska plates.  That's where he bought the machine and came down the Alcan.  He had Union Jack flags, turns out he from Brighton, in old Blimey, took off for a year to travel from the frozen North to Panama.  A friend of his called when he was already way south and told him to turn around and see the races at Bonneville.  So he did, slogging through rain most of the way.

My broadband netbook got a virus at the Las Vegas airport between planes.  This morning I asked a couple of fellows if there was a computer expert close, was referred to a really nice guy working on the Nebulous Theorum III.  Rick had the problem solved in a jiffy.  So, people really DO help each other out at Bonneville.  Maybe I'll stop by the ambulance tomorrow and see if they can do anything about osteo arthritist.

Saturday is Land End Linda's birthday, but you didn't hear it from me.

I'm taking pictures, but they are crap in cmparison to SSS's & Ray's, so I'll wait until I get back to the comfort of home and post them, after all is said here and done on the salt.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2010, 09:24:31 PM »
More photos once again.  Ray's on duty now, even if he's retired to the Cockroach Inn, but will be posting after having too much fun with the new camera.  It's one of those (I think) that not only does everything but wipe your butt and say thank you -- but also, when trying to take photos of fast-moving things, analyzes how fast the subject is moving and decides whether it's likely to get at least one good on in a burst of two, or if the subject is moving faster, shoots a burst of five, or for really fast -- it decides to make a burst of 10.  Holey Moley!

Photos, not advertising for a fancy camera, follows.

And you thought Rex Svoboda was the only racer with a Saab:

Here's the GSXR 1000 on which Nancy and I have been offered a ride:

Standing on the rear window deck to take photos through the solid roof of the car.  Really -- Nancy took this shot of a strange activity.  She took more, for that matter, but I didn't include 'em.

We've seen this car here before, but everyone likes to see a Mustang, right?

Speaking of Mustangs -- Here's Danny Thompson's car, out for a glamour shot:

One of the afore-mentioned 350-mph 'liners is still in the trailer but starting to emerge, just like a butterfly from the cocoon -- here's the Mormon Missile:

Jim Webb was saying just a few days ago that the AA motor for the truck was still under construction.  It looked like there was no motor in the truck when it was off-loaded from the trailer, but only a few hours later I saw it in tech -- so they must have put in the engine (or it was already there, in this photo, but the little trailering tires and suspension were set to make it look like there was nothing in the engine room:

Brian Westerdahl's Danny Boy Two:

A few more shots and I quit for a while.  I'm already in trouble -- Nancy and I signed up for pit closing duty tonight and forgot to do it.  I just got a call from Roy Creel reminding me of said omission.  Ah, well, everyone's mind sometimes goes awry.  Back to those photos:

That's all for now, there ain't no more.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kainzow

• New folks
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »
I'm not familiar with the red liner... what can you tell me?

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2010, 09:55:54 PM »
How is the salt?  :cheers:
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »
As Slim sed, I'm on duty.  I had to get creative in presenting some of the photos I shot today.  That little Panasonic, while a really kool little camera, uses a completely proprietary (or so it would seem) USB interface connection and I don't have an SD card reader with me.  Damn!  But there's more than one way to skin a salt cat, if the good folks from that team will forgive the figure of speech.  I spent a wonderful time visiting with 'em as I was wandering around.  I felt kinda foolish...wearing photo credentials and using this little point 'n shoot camera...but it's 14 megapixels with a pretty good lens on it. 

So here are a few shots of the images in the LCD screen shot with the Canon.

First there's the Salt Cat Jag after the folks were kind enough to dump the air bags and drop it down to ground level.  The "front porch" is no longer on it, but they're loaded for bear and ready to break some records.  Go get 'em!

And then there's Irene Hanchard with their street roadster...I don't think I've ever seen a track roadster nose inside a Deuce grill shell...but there's a first time for everything, I spose.  Another great visit with 'her and Shug.

Then Danny Thompson and his associate as they were posing for a photo op for by Pork Pie...I just snagged a shot to post here.  That was before they put the sponsor graphics on ...which they were doing as I left the salt.

Finally, that little Saab 96 that SSS posted as well.  The first thing that struck me when I saw it was to take it home and feed it so it could grow up.  :)  It's REALLY small.  Certainly the antithesis of Rex Svoboda's 96.

Weather/Salt:  Salt seems to be great.  There are some shallow pools near Land's End, but that's about it.  The pit area seems to be the same as it was for the other meets this year: smooth and hard.  I haven't been on the track surface, but I have no reason to think that there's anything but good salt to race on.  The weather radar shows that a small storm cell passed near the salt this evening, but it seemed to be dissipating as it was heading north.  Fingers are still crossed, but I'm very optimistic about tomorrow.  It's a little chilly, but then, it's October.  It was actually kinda nice to have cloud cover rather than brutal sun.

I'm gonna leave it here for the evening and try to get a good night's sleep for a change.

More in the ayem.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2010, 10:22:41 PM »
I'm not familiar with the red liner... what can you tell me?

If ya mean the 45 North Aviation liner, it's Dan Marcotte's car and here's his blog:
http://mindworkslandspeedracing.blogspot.com/

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2010, 10:34:10 PM »
How is the salt?  :cheers:

I drove both courses today as guinea pig for checking the lights.  Both are fine!

Jeff from Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Freud

« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »
RAy, there's a little USB download cord in the packaging.

On this end it will be a new D700 Nikon, soon. Checked them out today.

The new lens will be a 24-70 f4.0. Since the camera easily goes to 3200 EI I think I can get by w/o a f2.8

Send Jim back to the house to get it.

FREUD

Since '63