Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277094 times)

Offline jk hotrods

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #945 on: October 17, 2009, 01:45:30 PM »
Hi.
Im a new guy from Norway, I have started on my own lakester.so I think this is the forum to be in :-)
Im 28 years old and my name is Jan Kåre (jk).I live in the west coast of Norway.
The last years I have been building hot rods, but I think its time to try somting new :roll:
I wil need all the help I can get to get this buildt to the dry lakes :?
My english is not so good, but I hope you will understand.Will try to post som pictures soon.

Jan Kåre

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #946 on: October 17, 2009, 01:48:47 PM »
Jan, welcome to the LSR site. First your english is just fine. Feel free to ask any questions and you will find a lot of help here. Good Luck on the project. You may want to do a photo build diary as you go and to share so we can assist you if we see something in question.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #947 on: October 17, 2009, 08:39:46 PM »
I will look forward to seeing your pictures, Jan.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jk hotrods

• New folks
« Reply #948 on: October 18, 2009, 03:10:09 PM »
I will start a photo build diary soon. But I have not come so far, mostly collekting parts.
Since I live in Norway I have not so many people to turn to, so this forum will be a great help for me :wink:

Jan Kåre.

Offline Genuine GM

• Ignorance is NOT bliss.
« Reply #949 on: October 19, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »
Hello,

I am the FNG on here.  I am 30 years old and have been a hot rodder most of my life.  I have always dreamed of going to Bonneville and now I can't resist the bug anymore.  Since I have a 3 year old son, this will take me some time.  But I am going to start on a car for the salt.  In the meantime I am planning on taking my 65 C-10 to the Texas Mile once I get it finished and updated in the next year or so. 

So while the Bonneville car may be a long term deal and it will probably be years before I can actually make the pilgrimage to the salt I might as well start asking the most basic question's on here to save myself future grief.

I am going to post my first question in a few minutes.  Thanks to all

C. J. Daniel
Keller, Texas
Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #950 on: October 19, 2009, 10:41:19 AM »
CJ, go to the salt for the races, look at all the vehicles you can, get ideas, don't try to build a car "cold" ...
Good luck with your adventure
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline rodracer

• New folks
Introduction & motorcycle question
« Reply #951 on: October 20, 2009, 02:25:35 AM »
Hello one & all,

My name is Paul Anderson, I live in England & have been prepping a bike over the last couple of years to make an attempt on the British M/C LS Record.

My question is: for a bike that will never be expected to negotiate a bend & will be lifted & turned to make a return run, what is the minimum steering angle required?

For instance, would 5 degrees of steering angle (either side of zero) be adequate?

I want to fully enclose the front wheel & the steering angle is obviously critical to the width of the nose of the bike.

Thanx,

Paul.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #952 on: October 20, 2009, 08:54:44 AM »
Paul, are you building a streamliner?  sit on?  I guess either way 5 degrees is enough.... are there any rules to follow as far a bodywork is concerned.... do you have to build to FIM specs.  How about some pictures in the build diary section
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline rodracer

• New folks
« Reply #953 on: October 20, 2009, 01:17:38 PM »
Thanks for the welcome SS1,

Although we are working on the design of an eventual liner the current project is a conventional bike, well kinda.
The record I'm after is the outright M/C record over the flying kilometer, the ruling body for all genuine, recognised British records is the FIA.

What I'm attempting to do is unique over here, first off I'm using a Harley powerplant, secondly I'm making a serious effort to bridge the gap between conventional & liner. Neither of which have ever been seriously attempted in Europe.

I've been developing a turbocharged, intercooled V Rod engine since 2003, initially as a drag bike sponsored by Airbus for whom I work.
Along the way I picked up a couple of work buddies, both PhD's, one in Physics & the other Aerodynamics.
Since winter 2006 we've been converting the bike for landspeed application with the ongoing support of Airbus. We have a high speed wind tunnel & a superb airstrip (Concorde made her first flight from here) which are invaluable.

As of this moment we've seen in excess of 180mph, unfaired & without the intercooler. The fast approaching winter will be spent wind tunnel testing the diffuser & nozzle ducting for the inercooler set up, alongside the continuation of the aero design & stage 3 engine development.

The bike will be tested in spring '10 to confirm the efficiency of the ducting concept, if all is good we can then finalise the design of the bodywork, model & wind tunnel test it then get it manufactured. Hopefully final prep will take place during the winter of 2010/11.

I'll try & get a build diary going :-)

Offline rodracer

• New folks
« Reply #954 on: October 20, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »
Sorry, FIM, I was thinking football.

Moonshiner

« Reply #955 on: October 22, 2009, 04:37:19 AM »
Hello everyone,

my name is Keith,

i am a motor head and speed freak,

i love motorcycles,

i know how fast every thing will go that i have ever owned,

my need for speed began at a early age by modifying my  minibike , and blossomed into illegal street racing in my teens, i finally got caught and lost my license, on career day at school when asked what i wanted to do when i grew up my reply was "i just want to go fast " lol ,... i have  raised my family and now i want to satisfy my passion for going fast , i am starting work on a bike , just to see how fast it will go , time permitting hopefully i will post some pics soon , my dream is to run the salt flat out ...

Keith

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #956 on: October 22, 2009, 09:27:50 AM »
Dang, Keith, it sounds like you've led a life of straight and narrow - and are now thinking of going over to the dark side.  Watch yourself carefully -- many of us hee have suffered from the dream of wanting to run the Salt flat out - and it can be a very unh, mmm, addictive dream to follow!

Welcome.  When will you visit us at Maxton, NC -- which is probably a heck of a lot shorter trip from home for you, and would let you visit with a bunch of your fellow addicts?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TG1820

• New folks
« Reply #957 on: October 22, 2009, 06:03:04 PM »
New here, I went to the Texas Mile in October 2007 and ran 199.647. Which I guess I should have been happy with as I have always been a drag racer mostly on a car tire wheelie bar top gas type bike. This was my first time at a land speed event and the first time to ride a turbo charged motorcycle of any kind (2006 zx14). It was truly amazing! After about 4 passes I really wanted try and get into the 200 mph club there. About the 3/4 mile mark I had an oil fitting that had been cracked when the tip over switch was tested in tech, which was my fault for not having the lanyard already on the bike? Anyway it dumped 3 quarts of oil right on the rear tire so kinda coasted through at 199.647. So I left thinking ok I had planned to drag race the bike and this was fun but not for me???? Well for 2 years now it has just continued to eat at me. I keep remembering how much fun I had and how wonderful everyone was, so finally I decided I was coming back. I did with all I had learned drag racing and was extremely confident I would, with what I had learned would easily be able to run 200,,,, Boy was I wrong! There is a big difference between the two and I had one of the best to set the bike up for me the first time "Terry Kizer". He was great, but being I had thought I had this bike figured out running a best of 8.48 at 172 1/4 mile. I left it the way I had it for the first day friday. Well it did not handle at all I soon found out with crosswind gust up to 30 mph if I leaned the bike at all it would not hold the track. Though I was able to squeeze a 200.474 out on friday and make the club, I gained a whole new respect for how hard it is to get past that point for a newbie anyway. Later Friday evening several bike racers came by and coached me on what was wrong with the setup I had. I made the changes and worked on the bike until about 1 am Saturday morning grabbed a few hours sleep and was ready Saturday Morning, the wind had died down and I was feeling really good. Good enough to get greedy with the waste gate making about 22 pounds of boost with single injectors no intercooler well the pistons did not like that being I was mapped for 17 pounds! Well I am hooked already started making repairs to get ready for March. This is the way it use to be when I first started drag racing. Looking forward to coming back and glad to have found this forum.

Just another Newbie! 
Eric T Williams

Offline bbarn

« Reply #958 on: October 22, 2009, 08:39:49 PM »
Hi gang, good to meet you all. I am NEW to lsr, made one trip to Bonneville and was totally amazed!

Here's my story...
I've know Rob Freyvogel for many years as little more than an "acquaintance". We were chatting one day and he told me about this project he was working on. Quite frankly, I had no idea what a "lakester" was and even less of an idea what it took to build one. We setup a time for me to visit his shop and check out what it was all about...Six weeks later and many, many, many hours of work later, I had the privilege of standing on the salt as part of the team having had a hand in something awesome! (#5735 - The Spirit of St. Louis II - AA/BGL)

In those six weeks, I became extremely enthralled with the lakester project and realized that you don't need a team of engineers, millions and millions of dollars and a crew of 100 people to build something amazing! (though it might be fun to try it that way!!!)

Once I got to the salt, I was amazed at the range of vehicles and engine types, sizes and designs that others had built. What really got my attention though, were the people that I got to meet. What a group, wether you were a current record holder, a big dog, a regular Joe or someone Else's competition, everyone was friendly, and most importantly, willing to lend a hand, tools, parts, whatever it took to get someone Else's car down the salt!

I know what salt fever is, I may not be able to describe it, but look me up next year at speed week, you'll be able to see it on my face!

I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #959 on: October 22, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
It's alive!!!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records