Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276637 times)

Offline STUTZ

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #660 on: March 04, 2009, 10:42:03 AM »
Hello. My name is Ivan. I live in Melbourne Australia. I have been viewing this forum as a guest for a while now and have noticed the many members with years of experience building and racing on the salt. There are some theories and ideas from these people that just boggle the mind. I have been interested in landspeed racing probably from the first day I discovered NHRA dragracing and it's history only to learn that the LANDSPEED RECORD has a much more storied one. I have decided to join after learning of the many Aussie's who post here although I personally don't know any of them. I have loved the history of the Californian drylakes as well as Bonneville itself. I am currently not a racer,probably never will be, but I have a great desire in learning from and sharing with the legends of this wonderful sport. I will probably ask lots and lots of questions, some in a technical sense while others from an historical point. If i'm ever getting on anyone's nerves just tell me to EAT SALT.                                                                                                                           Many thanks. :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #661 on: March 04, 2009, 10:50:58 AM »
Stutz
Welcome to the forum. LSR only grows stronger as you do. I have been involved in it since 1953.
also drag racing. As you are finding this site has tons of information, The LSR family over here and down under along with the dry lakes, Maxton the Texas Mile and a couple of new venues getting started here in the states only proves the world of LSR is alive and well. Enjoy the site and join us on a regular basis. :-) :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline STUTZ

• New folks
« Reply #662 on: March 04, 2009, 05:27:26 PM »
Wow, I just joined yesterday and rightaway received a response. And what a response, someone who's been there, done that and some more. I'm not lying when I say I was getting goosebumps and a touch emotional reading the message. Many thanks Glen. The closest I've got to the pioneers and legends was reading about them but the paper never spoke back. Looking forward to many more years of correspondence.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #663 on: March 04, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »
Stutz
Stay tunned, this web site and a few others are full of history. Do a search on the tabs and links for hours of reading. You have a lot of racers down under and some join in here a lot. LSR is world wide and we all have a common virus called salt fever. A salt trip(fix) is required yearly. Enjoy the trip mate.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #664 on: March 04, 2009, 06:22:53 PM »
Stutz, you should be on your way to Lake Gardner for Speedweek. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline STUTZ

• New folks
« Reply #665 on: March 04, 2009, 08:33:09 PM »
Unfortunately now is not the time to be taking time off work.  :-(                                                                                                Anyway, saving the pennies to make the trek to mecca.

Offline ralt12

• New folks
« Reply #666 on: March 07, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
Greetings. My name is Jim Nelson, and I've had a fascination with Bonneville since the early '60's, but living on the East Coast didn't help matters. I moved to Southern California in the early '90's, had a couple of boys, and am now getting to the point where I can do something on the weekends beyond coaching football and track.
My racing experience looks like this:

Formula Ford
Formula Continental
Formula Atlantic
Pro Super Vee
Vintage Formula One
IMSA Firestone Firehawk
Grand-Am GTU
IMSA Camel GT (GTU)
Grand Am GT3
C/Sports Racing

Win about 20% of the time, top 4 60% of the time. Skip Barber track records at Sebring (national course), Pocono (South course). Qualifying records (C/SR) at Pocono (North course), Lime Rock Park.

Tracks competed on:
Lime Rock Park
Watkins Glen
Mosport
Bryar Motorsports Park, Loudon, NH.
New Hampshire Int’l Speedway
Bridgehampton
Cleveland (Burke Lakefront Airport)
Road Atlanta (old course and new course)
Road America (including short course)
Mid-Ohio
Mt. Tremblant (St Jovite)
Tamiami Park
Sebring (4.88 mile circuit, 3.7 mile circuit and National SCCA circuit)
Daytona Int’l Raceway (road course)
Sears Point
Portland Int’l Raceway
Willow Springs Int’l Raceway
Phoenix Int’l Raceway (road course)
Pocono Raceway (North course and South course)
Summit Point
Laguna Seca
The Meadowlands, New Jersey (street course)
West Palm Beach (street course)

I've been restoring F1 cars, and am currently working on a pair from the 1989 season. They look like this:

Like any other serious race car, they get your attention immediately, and  mistake will put you in the next area code in a hurry, so I'd like to think that I have the right mental framework to respect the lessons Bonneville can teach.

I'd like to run the road race version of this bike:

This is as set up for a dirt track, and would be totally different for the salt. I appreciate that it would take some time to learn how to run  on the flats, so I'm thinking that the first year or two would be getting to know the bike and the dynamics of how to go fast with it, then start to figure out if I'm a total lunatic for even thinking about whether I should be on the salt.

All opinions, pointers, criticisms, etc are welcome, as they help you learn. Nothing like experience to teach you what it is you're supposed to be doing.
Best Regards
Jim Nelson

dwarner

« Reply #667 on: March 07, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »
Jim,

I am surprised that you haven't got the "get a rulebook" instruction yet. Please do that. What area do you live in? There may be some LSR types who will be able to advise you locally.

The F1 cars are looking great, you certaintly have the chops - welcome aboard.

DW

Offline racergeo

« Reply #668 on: March 07, 2009, 11:09:55 AM »
      Jim, many who race at Bonneville and the dry lakes have come from a different racing disaplen

Offline racergeo

« Reply #669 on: March 07, 2009, 11:19:43 AM »
    Oops, pushed post instead of spelchek. Haven't used the word discipline in about 20 years, cause I have none. Anyway Jim, you should have great success and add to your list of accomplishments. Oh and I almost forgot, have more fun then a Senator in a bathroom stall.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #670 on: March 07, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »
Welcome Jim. Lots pf people think we LSR types are lunatics, especially us two wheelers. My wife does!! :-D
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline ralt12

• New folks
« Reply #671 on: March 07, 2009, 11:44:50 AM »
Rulebook's on the way. The variety of classes is sometimes a bit puzzling, as the rulebook isn't immediately translated into class specs, at least for the newbies. I'm still not sure what class this would run in. fredvance has suggested "Altered/special construction", but it's not clear which record that is. APS/PG (APS/PF) ?? SC/PG (SC/PF) ??  It's not crystal clear, though I'm hoping the rulebook will be a better guideline.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #672 on: March 07, 2009, 12:30:04 PM »
I am trying to remember, got CRS, your bike is a factory racer I think, that would put you in altered/special const. If you run it as above, no fairing, it would be A/pg or A/pf, put a fairing on it an it becomes aps/pg or aps/pf.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline Ben Cullen

• New folks
« Reply #673 on: March 10, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »
Hello.
       Im a young lad of 12yrs old. Im here to learn about lsr rather than ask sam green about it all.
sam is a good mate of mine and my dad, chris, he is lending me his honda cb92 to sprint as a junior rider.
Ben :-)
Junior sprinter.
Sam greens young mate.
Fan of LSR.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #674 on: March 10, 2009, 05:00:12 PM »
Ben
welcome to the forum. Glad to see some of the youngsters coming into the sport. Good luck on the present and your future in LSR.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah