Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277124 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1335 on: May 12, 2010, 08:52:12 PM »
Dang -- he called my bluff.  Now what do I do?  I'll go through the files, that's what, and see what I've got of the supercharged Trumpet -- if much at all.  I don't often take multiple photos of each vehicle - there's just not enough time for that and everything else.  But I might have something -- so'll look for it or them.  I'll post 'em when I find 'em.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline agrassfidf

« Reply #1336 on: May 12, 2010, 10:59:57 PM »
If you can't find it, don't worry about it Slim. Hey Fred, whats the record for 1350  production? I think I'm definitely going to pop my cherry at Maxton. Just have to figure out when.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1337 on: May 13, 2010, 08:07:40 AM »
Production 1350 at Maxton?  202.465, Mark DeLuca up.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #1338 on: May 17, 2010, 11:50:19 PM »
I've been lurking here and enjoying the site, thanks SSS, since coming back from Speedweek in 2009.
You all know the story, ya figure you need to see the Salt once, just to say that you've been there and seen it. That all it takes.

So I'm going back again this year. Speedweek for sure if the car is ready and later if not.

I helped crew on the 608 AA/GL last year and will return with them again.

Frank
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #1339 on: May 18, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »
Hiya fellas, my name's Chris Ireland. I ran a shop called "Desperate Dan's Custom Motorcycles" for 20 years. OZ introduced me to this forum, he used to work for me and I taught him how to build frames. I'm currently about 75% into building a Citroen 2CV with a supercharged Daimler hemi, '37 Ford front axle & 18" narrowed Jag rear. It's chopped and channelled, but not for racing, this will be my street car. It sits 4ft high and is quite radical.
The reason I'm here is that OZ is coming back to Bonneville in 2012 and I'm coming with him.....with an Indian 741B, which I'll rebuild for the salt. I've owned it over 20 years, so if it blows up I don't care, as long as I get it there. Christ, it's in my blood and I've never been yet.
I also run a small magazine called "Brit Chopper" (cars, rods & bikes) so if you have anything remotely interesting, email me. It's A4 full colour and we're always looking for features.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1340 on: May 18, 2010, 01:15:40 PM »
Watch out, everyone -- "The British are coming, the British are coming!"

Welcome, Chris.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #1341 on: May 18, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »
Hiya fellas, my name's Chris Ireland

Welcome Chris !

Small world:
I do believe that you know my friend Mads whos workshop is
just down the street from mine, and is the guy who build, from scratch, one of the most beautiful bikes
I've ever seen: the NSU-four-cylinder-engined 'Indian' called "Alma"

I'm currently about 75% into building a Citroen 2CV with a supercharged Daimler hemi, '37 Ford front axle & 18" narrowed Jag rear. It's chopped and channelled, but not for racing, this will be my street car. It sits 4ft high and is quite radical.

That's spectacularly insane.
..and I mean that in a positive way !

.....with an Indian 741B, which I'll rebuild for the salt

Welcome to an exclusive club !
Here's mine (supercharged) Indian 741 that I'll bring to the Salt in August

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:43:19 PM by octane »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #1342 on: May 18, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
It really is a small world! I know Mads (and his mate Moen) and we both have a love for NSU-4 engines. The Alma-4 was featured in Issue 1 of "Brit Chopper". Many years ago I fitted a 1200 NSU in a BSA frame, and last year I bolted two NSU motors together to make a straight eight, and also fitted a GMC blower. Amazingly, it fired up first go. I'm already feeling at home here. Octane, fancy getting your bike featured? My email address is editor@britchopper.co.uk
I'm going to be asking lots of questions regarding tuning. Oh, forgot to mention, my daughter's middle name is "Hendee". She's 17.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #1343 on: May 18, 2010, 05:13:39 PM »
Desparate, there is a BSA with an NSU engine here in the St. Louis area, came from Holland.  Orange and gold frame, if I remember correctly.  Well now, found a photo of it.  Yours?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:17:37 PM by k.h. »
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1344 on: May 18, 2010, 10:37:43 PM »
That bike, Alma, looks like it came from the factory with the NSU car engine.  It does not look like a mongrel.  That is a well built bike.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #1345 on: May 19, 2010, 04:45:52 AM »
K.h., no, it's not mine. NSU bikes were built in Germany in the 1970's by Freidl Munch, the "Munch Mammoth" and were the fastest production bike in the world back then. I know of one over there in a Norton Featherbed frame. The BSA will be a one-off.
I've always been into customising, and built one other complete bike in @1982 specifically for the UK show circuit. It was called "Mad Dog" and was powered by a supercharged NSU (Shorrocks blower).

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #1346 on: May 20, 2010, 03:39:34 AM »
Look out! the gaffer is back!!
Best i get busy before he catches me doing nothing......Again!

Allo Chris.Welcome to the madness.

Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #1347 on: May 20, 2010, 03:52:51 AM »
It really is a small world! I know Mads (and his mate Moen)
..who I also know, and who has been an invaluable help for me building my Indian.

and we both have a love for NSU-4 engines. The Alma-4 was featured in Issue 1 of "Brit Chopper". Many years ago I fitted a 1200 NSU in a BSA frame, and last year I bolted two NSU motors together to make a straight eight, and also fitted a GMC blower. ...
..that's brilliantly nuts!

I'm already feeling at home here.
It's an absolutely fantastic place.
I have recieved SO much help, info and encouragement from the good people here.
Simply amazing !

Octane, fancy getting your bike featured? My email address is editor@britchopper.co.uk ...
Let.me.thinks.about.it.ok.I.spend.one.nanosecond.thinking....yes THANK YOU,  I'd be honoured !!!!!!

PS: If you have time to spend; I have a build diary on this forum.
The nerdy engine/tuning stuff starts around here:
Click:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5849.30.html

Look out! the gaffer is back!!
Best i get busy before he catches me doing nothing......Again!

Allo Chris.Welcome to the madness.

Hey Oz ! Long time no see.
How about that: you and I , who have only met at this forum, are 'connected'.
There's this saying that all people are only six-persons-separated ( or something to that effect)
I know Mads who knows Chris who knows you.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:59:47 AM by octane »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #1348 on: May 20, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »
Yup certainly is a small world but I suppose the biking fraternity is a bit smaller and bike builders even smaller,Bonneville competitors are probably one of the smallest groups.
I may even of met your buddy Mads, if he came to the workshop in Leighton I was there for quite a long time,best job in the world new bike every year or so and learnt loads.
How to weld the bosses tin mug to the bench and leave the tea in it.
Hilti bolt his sandals to the floor.
Put laxatives in ferret the polishers tea.
and various other usefull skills that are usefull in the world of motorcycle fabrication.

I will start posting again when the bike progresses a bit further.,

Cheers Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #1349 on: May 22, 2010, 02:24:40 PM »
Oz, get back to work or you're sacked (again). Octane, phew, that's some rebuild. All I've done to mine is a top-end job with Royal Enfield pistons, Peugeot valves and some porting. The machining was done by Robin Oakley in Kent (UK). I couldn't help but notice your bike is outside the same workshop as Mad's, give him my regards.
As for small worlds, we've featured the guy you mentioned who took his Nimbus to Japan, his name eludes me but he wrote a series of features for me accompanied by amazing drawings. Maybe we ought to start an "Indian" topic elsewhere?
Part 1 of Oz's excursion to Bonneville will be in our next issue, but please don't think I'm trying to "push" the magazine, but it was him that made me decide to "go for it". We got through 2 bottles of vodka doing the story, sat in my shed. Oz fell off his chair at the end, and for a change, I didn't.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:27:26 PM by desperate »