Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277159 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1245 on: March 29, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »
My only comment is that you might put a statement concerning the reasons for the level of difficulty in the registration area.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1246 on: March 29, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »
Where should I put that statement -- in the Registration area, I suppose. . .?  I've been posting here in the Forum so you "regular" folks (constipated racers need not apply) know what's going on.  I'll have the notice appended thereunto right away quick like a bunny rabbit.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1247 on: March 29, 2010, 10:45:52 PM »
Why not tell them the first post must be in the into thread, include their name, location, a short bio, and end last line with landracing.com... all that do not comply will be considered a spambot and deleted...

I killed one yesterday trying to sell us sex toys... sorry Jon, you probably wanted that address...  :evil:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline geh458

« Reply #1248 on: March 30, 2010, 01:01:10 AM »
Where should I put that statement -- in the Registration area, I suppose. . .?  I've been posting here in the Forum so you "regular" folks (constipated racers need not apply) know what's going on.  I'll have the notice appended thereunto right away quick like a bunny rabbit.

Jon,

I fairly new here, but if you have the ability to send an email to new people as part of the registration process that requires them to click on a link to finish registration, or enter a sequence of characters, that should stop almost all of the spambots.  This is something quit a few other board I go to do for ne members.

Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1249 on: March 30, 2010, 08:35:11 AM »
"...I killed one yesterday trying to sell us sex toys... sorry Jon, you probably wanted that address..."

Nah, I've got Nancy.  'Nuff said?

PS  Thanks for getting rid of that one.  I got two PMs telling me about it -- but couldn't find it.  I did ban/de-list the "registrant", though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline BooneHomes

• New folks
    • Wilmington makeup artist
Hello from wilmington nc...how about a cheesy racing joke?
« Reply #1250 on: March 30, 2010, 10:56:20 AM »
just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I'm a redneck spectator from wilmington north carolina...our closest drag strip is an hour north in jacksonville.  let me know if anyone knows of other venues in south eastern nc.

There was a young fellow who was quite inventive and was always trying out new things. One day he thought he'd see just how fast a bicycle could go before it became uncontrollable. He asked his friend, who owned an old Mustang, if he could tie his bike to the bumper of his car to test his theory. His friend said, "Sure."

So the young man tied his bike to the back of the car and said to his friend:

"I'll ring my bike bell once if I want you to go faster, twice if I want you maintain speed, and repeatedly if I want you to slow down."

With that, off they went. Things were going pretty well, with the car driver slowly speeding up to well over 60 mph. The young fellow on the bike was handling the speed just fine. But, all of sudden, a black Corvette came up beside them and before you knew it the fellow driving the Mustang forgot all about the fellow on the bike and took to drag racing the Corvette.

A little further down the road sat Officer John in his police cruiser, radar gun at the ready. He heard the two cars before his radar flashed 105 mph.

He called into headquarters on his radio: "Hey, you guys aren't going to believe this, but there's a Corvette and a Mustang racing out here on Highway 3, and there's a guy on a bike ringing his bell and waving his arms trying to pass them!"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:00:21 AM by BooneHomes »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1251 on: March 30, 2010, 11:21:21 AM »
Mr.Homes:

Please introduce yourself with a bit more information.  Yes, we know you're from Wilmington and that you're a drag racer.  What's your land speed racing interest?

I ask because your post resembles those of the many spambots that we've had infest this Forum recently.  I'm certainly not accusing you of being one who hopes to take advantage of this world-wide website, but I do hope you'll understand my caution -- and let us know more about you as you continue your introductory spiel.

Regards --

Jon, a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim, owner of landracing.com
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #1252 on: April 02, 2010, 12:56:13 PM »
Bob Ross - Warren, MI - a suburb of Detroit and home to the GM Tech Center

I was working up some travel plans to come out to Speedweek this year as a spectator because it's on my list of motorsports things to do. While working on that I stumbled across the USFRA web site and their 130 MPH class. So now instead of spectating I'm planning on some minor mods to my 2007 GMC 4 cylinder regular cab pickup to run. Hopefully my work schedule, which is pretty jammed this year, will let me fit it in else it will be 2011 or a run to NC for a ECTA event if they have a similar class.

I've driven past the salt on a number of occasions on non-race days but only stopped once at the end of the asphalt access road. I have wanted to come out for years to watch. If things work out right I'll be driving instead. While my truck will not come anywhere near 130 MPH in it's current form, the fact that I'll have an opportunity to drive in competition on the salt is what makes it so cool.

I've got a diverse motorsports background having particpated in ET bracket drag racing, club road racing, karting and as a volunteer corner worker for SCCA, CART and IMSA events all over the country. Now I'll be able to add "land speed racing" to that list and I'm pretty excited about that!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:59:47 PM by rfross »
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1253 on: April 02, 2010, 01:27:54 PM »
Well, Bob -- you should be excited aboutgoing to the Salt for the first time - whether as a spectator or to run your vehicle.  It is THE ultimate driving experience if you ask me - and most of the other racers.

Get out there when you can -- and get down to Maxton even sooner.  There are links to both the Maxton (ECTA) and World of Speed (USFRA) websites on the home page of this website -- as well as a link to the SCTA's site.

Welcome to the Forum.  And - once you run at Bonneville it'll be too late for you -- you'll discover that it's addictive.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Avanti Dan

• Going to Bonneville to fill my Bucket List item #4
« Reply #1254 on: April 04, 2010, 03:01:28 AM »
Dan Sallia here. Just thought I would check things out here at Landracing. I am going to El Mirage and Bonneville this year for the first time. I will be driving a car many of you will remember, the Burke Bros 1963 Avanti. The car was saved off of Ebay and I have a full compliment of people helping me restore the car and return it to it's racing glory days. From what I have been able to piece together Bill Burke first ran the car at Bonneville in August of 1963 when the car was less than a year old. He set the first of many records that year at 147 MPH. The car was raced at Bonneville and Muroc based on the decals still on the car. It set 15 speed records one of which is still on the books, 239.208 mph in 1979 in C/CBFALT. I will be using an R5 clone Studebaker engine for El Mirage with 500+ HP and of course in keeping with the nostalgic look of the car a Borg Warner T10 four speed. For Bonneville we will be using a Jim Lange prepped 304 Studebaker with 650+ HP. Our goal is to go 200MPH. But of course who isn't trying for that their first time out. 

The car, both engines and all of the work so far has been generously donated by a group of car enthusiasts and many Land Speed veterans. Dave "Avanti Kid" Bloomberg, Jim Lange, Pat King. Great shops like Eddies Custom Cars of Morro Bay, CA. High Gear Ranch of Paso Robles, CA. Westside Auto Parts of San Luis Obispo, CA. Bear Metal Kustoms and Early Wheel Company of Morro Bay. Along with technical support from Chuck Smith, Andy Granatelli, Steve Burke and others.

This project is a byproduct of my four year+ battle with cancer. This item #4 on my Bucket List, hence the name "The Bucket List Dream". Four things were on the original list and only three remain. This is the one that I thought was least likely to become a reality. I underestimated the Land Speed Family. They have always been and are still the most generous and giving people you will ever meet. I feel extremely priviledged to be given the chance to go to Bonneville. Even more so is this very famous and sound Studebaker Avanti with it's rich racing history. And to fulfill the dream with Studebaker power makes it very rewarding. See my first experience was in 1962-63 when my dad was friends with another guy who went to Bonneville in a Studebaker Avanti, one I watched being built, none other than Andy Granatelli. Ever since those days I have longed to drive across the salt at full throttle to see what it is like to go flat out for more than six or eight seconds. I feel extremely blessed and humbled by the outreach to me and my wife. Never more than two weeks ago, when what my wife and I thought was a routine check up revealed that my cancer had returned for the fourth time and I was looking at another surgery and perhaps other treatments. They say timing is everything and this is coming true in a big way with the Bucket List Dream. See you on the salt!

Dan
Bucket List Dreamer

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1255 on: April 04, 2010, 03:43:26 AM »
Nice one Dan, dunno how many people watch this board but I reckon every single one of them will be with you on this. That story you have written above is everything great about this sport in a nutshell. You've nailed it straight up and in the end that's the name of this game....nailing it!
Dr G
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #1256 on: April 04, 2010, 04:00:06 AM »
Dan,
welcome to the forum and our sport.

If you feel inclined, please post some pictures of the Avanti's restoration. I'm sure there are lots who would appreciate your efforts in bringing a historic racer back to the salt.

Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #1257 on: April 04, 2010, 07:16:54 AM »
Dan   I wish you all the best.  Great to see you getting all that help. See you on the salt.

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #1258 on: April 04, 2010, 11:27:35 AM »
 :-D  Dan, welcome to the family.  It will be good to see another one of Mr. Burke's machines running again.  The Old Crow belly tank is one of his earlier projects and we all have a place in our hearts for his machinery.   Stop by the Old Crow pits and swap some tales with us.   Good luck, and, go fast!        Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline cagedruss

• New folks
    • Racetech
« Reply #1259 on: April 04, 2010, 03:38:25 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Russell N and I am new here. I have been involved in Motor Racing for almost 30 years. I am the owner and lead fabricator of Racetech Motorsports. I have 2 customers that all ready race in SCTA and currently I am fabricating a 34 Ford Roadster for a customer.I am looking forward  to coming to the salt this year for the first time and serching the forum for all of it valuable info..