Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276989 times)

Offline bigd1

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #930 on: October 02, 2009, 09:23:55 AM »
Hello My is David Moser I am from Tacoma WA. This Was the first Year that We have attended Speedweek it was on are Bucket list (Bucket List= Do it one to get of the List WRONG !!)  I have No clue about salt flat racing ( Rules, Class, and Clubs) but after going to Speedweek this Year. I am Like a little kid in a candy Store I want More and I want it NOW! I have Come here to this Site everyday after speedweek. I have Been Glued ready Post for the Shootout, the World of Speed. The People that gave play by play at the Shoot out Your Rock!! I will being going back to speedweek hope to go more then one day next year. I found all the people we talked to at speedweek Really friendly I tell everyone it is a big old Meet and Greet for rodders and Racers. Thank You for this site you guys Rock!! :-D     

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #931 on: October 02, 2009, 11:08:43 AM »
Thanks, David.  Nancy and I are the folks that did the Shootout Coverage  --  and we own the site.  And we race, too -- Nancy set a 201/9 record on our production bike at WoS.  We plan to race - and cover - World Finals next week, too, assuming the weather (and this site that's acting kinda cranky right now) all fall into place.

Welcome to the Forum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fouraceswes

• New folks
« Reply #932 on: October 02, 2009, 12:06:57 PM »
Hi Dick, Thanks for the warm welcome.  Got any old pic of you flogging something two wheeled??  Love to see them.
"Only one problem, that Salt will get on you."  Quote from several old timers to me in 2006.

Offline dickj

« Reply #933 on: October 02, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »
David, welcome to the forum.  Check out World of Speed and Utah Salt Flats Racing Association really carefully.  Starting out in the 130 club, then moving up to the 150 club is a great way to get a taste of salt!  Be careful though, it's addictive, and it's an expensive habit!  What the H... though, you can't take it with you.
DickJ
In East Texas

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #934 on: October 04, 2009, 01:03:32 AM »
Hi!  My name's Jeff McVey, and I live in Boise, Idaho.  I first visited the Salt at Speedweek in 2007, and contracted The Disease immediately.  I returned just a month later for 2007 WOS, and learned about the 130MPH Club.  So, I twisted my son, Darrell's arm (it didn't take much), and convinced him that we needed to run his near-stock Nissan 350Z for the 130 Club in 2008.  After much SCCA autocrossing of it and my little Mazda 3, we made our way back for WOS 2008.

In order to get a little lower gear ratio, we actually installed the tires (W-rated Dunlop's) and wheels from my Mazda (same bolt pattern, and they cleared the brakes) on the Nissan.  They're 17-inch, vice the 18's on the Z-car.  Anyway, it seemed to work, and we got in the 130 Club on just two runs each.

As The Disease progressed, we wanted more, so it was in with the cage, seat, belts, purchased a fire suit, etc. and back to WOS 2009.  The one-day rain delay was a bummer, but at least the meet was on!  Darrell was up first (with the 18-inch wheels this time) on Thursday, and ran a 151+, but despite 12 hours on the Salt, that was the only run that day.  We left the car in the staging lane, where it was second in line (after the record runs).   With the favorable D.A. of early Friday morning, Darrell ran a 154+ so he was in the 150 Club.

Back to Tech for a cursory re-inspection for me, and after getting my green wristband, I got in line.  Darrell gave me some pointers, including the fact that we'd start off in second gear, and not use sixth.  When my turn came, it got a bit sideways in the upper end of second gear, but 3rd, 4th, and 5th were fine.  I saw 150 on the auxiliary LED speedo read-out just before I got to the 2-mile marker, so I knew I was in good shape.  The timing slip said 152.7, so I was pleased, and put the car back in line for run number two.

All seemed fine until I blew it by missing a shift.  I only had a total of maybe 30 minutes seat time in Darrell's car (including last year at Bonneville), and when I went to make the third-fourth shift, I ended up in sixth.  I did my best to correct the mistake quickly, but ended up running just 148.6.  So,, it was back to the end of the line again, in hopes of getting in another run on Friday.  I lucked out when they decided to run the six cars that were still in line when the normal end time arrived.  So, I was next-to-last, and I didn't miss any shifts this time.  I ran a 151+, so both my son and I had made the 150MPH Club!  And we did it in his daily driver! 

Darrell wants to get a F125 shifter cart for SCCA autocross in 2009, and further mods to the Z-car for the SCTA-type classes probably won't happen.  So, I don't know what we'll do for an encore, but I know that I'm still afflicted with The Disease, and will have to come back to the Salt and run something!  I've got a car I'm thinking about putting together (combination street rod/autocrosser/LSR car?), but if nothing else, I'll run my little Mazda in the 130-Club just so I can run on the Salt again in 2010.  Hopefully, we'll have the other car ready for the long course in 2011.  Time will tell.

And thanks to you, SSS, for the excellent coverage of The Shootout!  It was fun following the exploits of the teams from the Mormon Meteor, the Buckeye Bullet, and Speed Demon (plus Blowfish) who we had the opportunity to meet the previous week in the staging lanes at WOS - plus all the others, too. 

I hope things go well this coming week for the WF, but the weather doesn't look good.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, and will follow these forums to see what transpires!
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #935 on: October 04, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
Jeff, I don't know if you belong on this Forum after all.  You've given a nice, clear, and interesting story.  What's that all about?  We're used to folks that don't tell us where they're from, and -- wait a minute -- you did it great!  Thanks for the information and the hints that you'll be back again and again.

And in Boise, too -- not so far that you'll be able to come up with lots of excuses why you're not at many of the events at Bonneville.  Welcome to landracing.com's Forum.  When you're on the Salt -- look around and stop by our pit for a quick in-person howdy.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline smrtmblues

• New folks
  • Construction Zone
« Reply #936 on: October 06, 2009, 03:34:09 PM »
Not only a Newbie, but totally lost in this world of land speed racing.  I have not had time to lurk around the site, so any helpful hints will be appreciated.

A few years back I qualified for super comp drag racing, but due to financial constraints, didn't buy into the cost of 1/4 mile racing...did qualify at over 162 mph and got the fever for speed.  I like to go fast and have been doing it offtrack on the federal highway system... :|...not good.  I need a venue where I can build a car to go fast and LSR looks like the place.

I don't know where this journey is going to take me, but I want to have the bragging rights of owning the "World's Fastest Maco Shark" which could mean 100 mph, 200 mph, or something in between...that is, if I can get it to go fast without lifting.  A '69 Corvette Maco shark is not aerodynamic to begin with, so I have some designing to do.

I will hopefully be taking road trips in 2010 for the purpose of learning the trade.  Was planning to visit Maxton in a couple of weeks, but spent too much on a custom '73 widebody I am working on.  I have folks from Wiseco & K1 Technoligies who have agreed to help with the BBC engine build when the time comes to develope horsepower.

As I wrote earlier, any advice/helpful hints will be appreciated.

Thanks, Marv B.
"There Ain't No Cure for the SummerTime Blues..."

Offline zrodz

• New folks
« Reply #937 on: October 08, 2009, 01:46:13 PM »
My name is Zobra, I'm an old hot rodder who grew up in the 50's thinking all things with motors were sent to be enjoyed. Just joined this forum to drop in on some of the chat about landracing. I came over from the H.A.M.B. after seeing the link.  Hope you don't mind my hanging around. I am building, from scratch, my own take on a lakes style roadster which i may post later after I've been here for a while and get to know the terrain.
The truth is not determined by a show of hands

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #938 on: October 08, 2009, 01:52:43 PM »
Welcome!  Lakes roadster rule!   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #939 on: October 08, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »
 :cheers: Always room for one more "salt nut".  (and any other speed type event or thingy)       Welcome!    Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Big Nana

• New folks
« Reply #940 on: October 08, 2009, 03:12:33 PM »
Hello, Mark Richardson here, also known as Big Nana. I was racing a 2006 Dodge SRT-10 Viper Truck until early this year win i had to sell her to cut back on expenses. Thats life. I'm building a reverse trike project now, and it will be several months before it is running... I hope!

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #941 on: October 08, 2009, 04:17:11 PM »
 :? "Reverse Trike?"  Two up front, one in the back I assume?      Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Alan Morris

• New folks
« Reply #942 on: October 15, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
Hello from western Colorado. I am Alan Morris. Have been to Bonneville for the past several years and have concluded that it's time to build a car. I have a 60 Falcon Ranchero that I hope to prepare for Classic Altered. I'll see you here and on the salt!

Offline TDeKon

• New folks
« Reply #943 on: October 16, 2009, 12:40:33 AM »
Hi, I'm Terry DeKoninck and I hail from the same state as SSS (Michigan), although further south (under the bridge as the Yoopers like to say). I have been a reader of these forums for a couple years.
My background prior to college involved me modifying my first car about a week after I got it, built my first engine and entered my first drag race at 17, and rebuilt my first automatic transmission at 18. I worked my way through college by managing an auto parts store, rebuilding everything in a buddy's speed shop, and building race and hi-po street engines on the side.

I am now a degreed mechanical/automotive/aerodynamic engineer who used to work for Chrysler's Dodge Motorsports. There I was the project manager, development engineer, and designer of all Dodge drag race vehicles (IHRA & NHRA) from 2000-2008, as well as some NASCAR CUP programs, and did development work on race vehicle competing in SCCA, WCGT, and SCTA. I took a buyout from Chrysler in November of 2008 and am now the owner of Aerospeed Solutions LLC (www.aerospeedsolutions.com), providing motorsports and aerodynamic design and consulting. I also work part time for Antron Brown's NHRA Top Fuel team (mikeashleyracing.com) as the team engineer and aerodynamicist.

My first foray into LSR was with Troy Trepanier and George Poteet with a little car they call Blowfish. It's a '69 Plymouth Barracuda that Troy's shop, Rad Rides by Troy, built for George Poteet. I provided aerodynamic input and wind tunnel testing and development for the car, as well as general automotive engineering and data analysis for the team.

I went to Bonneville with the Rad Rides/Camel Toe Racing team and car in 2006 and fell in love with the salt. At that point I had been in drag racing for 15+ years, involved in professional racing for over 6 years, been to almost every NASCAR and NHRA track, and to many sports car venues including Silverstone in England. Bonneville was by far the coolest place I had ever been and had the nicest racers and fans (although drag racing is a close second in that area). I have been back with Blowfish every year since except for 2007 when my 2nd son was only 6 weeks old at the time (I tried to go but my wife was not very pleased with me even suggesting it). I also provided some aero consulting and arranged wind tunnel testing for Wayne Jesel's very successful Dodge Ram.

I have learned a lot about LSR in the 5 or so years I have been involved. I originally thought it was a typical top speed vs HP & aero drag - how hard can that be? I soon realized it is no different than racing the 330 mph Funny Cars I designed - it's just a longer drag race on ice (or darn near it sometimes) that's a lot harder on the engine, and that whatever can go wrong, will. On top of drag and HP, traction, gearing, engine tuning, shift points, aero balance, total downforce, and the engine power curve are all critical to maximizing the car's potential and stability. As many of you know, it may look easy on paper, but doing it is another thing. Every year we are better prepared and come with more HP, and are creeping up in speed. This year we met two (new C/BFCC class record and exceeding 300mph) of our 4 goals (my goals at least) on the salt and have substantially upped our goals for 2010. I have also further refined my performance simulation that we use to predict our entire run to where it is accurate to within 2 mph at all measured increments and closely overlays our Racepak data acquisition data. I am looking at a couple other seriously fast salt projects right now and I can't wait to get back.

I guess that's a little longer intro than "Hi, my name's Terry, and I am a saltaholic".

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #944 on: October 16, 2009, 01:39:11 AM »
BIG D1---what a case of SALT FEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!