Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277150 times)

Offline laverda1200

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1320 on: May 06, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »
Hi all

new member here. My name is Paul, I am 55, and live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have been riding motorcycles since I was 11 years old, and have always had street bikes since I was 16.

I am going to attend the 2010 BUB Speed Week with at least two motorcycles, maybe three. I have never done this before, although I have drag raced and still do track schools and track days, and for twenty or so years I was a motorcycle instructor, not that any of that equips me to run flat out on the salt. So, I am going to try and learn about the salt, and give it a go!

for vintage stuff, probably in the Run What Ya Brung class, I am going to run a mildly modified 1984 Laverda RGS 1000, which is a three cylinder air cooled motor. That bike now has Carillo rods, larger displacement with custom J & E high comp pistons and custom cylinder liners, ported head, larger custom stainless exhaust system, larger carbs (flat slide Miukuni RS 36 on custom manifolds), digital electronic ignition control, Astralite wheels, better brakes, and so on..... Vintage bevel Ducati's of that era seem to do well to break 120 mph. I am looking to do a bit better than that, hopefully..... :-D I am also thinking about bringing along a 1979 Laverda 1200 triple in mostly stock condition and running it just for the fun of it.

for modern stuff, I bought a left over 2008 Kawasaki ZX 14 last summer, cheap, great deal, have broken it in, and have been fiddling with it a bit, drilled it for comprehensive safety wiring, stuck a Power Commander V and Auto Tuner on it, Speedo Healer to disable the top speed limiter, add on lock up clutch assembly from Cycle Logic to eliminate clutch slip, ceramic wheel bearings, etc. Nothing major, all motor, and the motor unmodified, not even opened up, at least for this year. I see that the AMA Production Class rules require a "stock, unmodified exhaust system", which is causing me some concern, as I would like to at least run an O2 bung for a wide band sensor. I have one stock exhaust system left entirely stock, another that I used a band saw to cut all three catalytic convertors out of, so I am still struggling with the rules as to exactly what way I need to set the bike up to be rules compliant. I am also wondering about protecting or replacing the fuel injection lines. What product or supplier are people using for fuel line protection or replacement?

In any event, as a raw newbie to the salt, I am not looking to set either the world or myself on fire on the salt, just want to see what I can get the bikes to do at altitude on the
salt, flat out. First year out I think I will just be thrilled to be there and gain a bit of practical experience, any and all advice welcomed.... and looking forward to meeting some of you at BUB Speed Week 2010!

Paul

Offline 48dodger

• New folks
« Reply #1321 on: May 08, 2010, 12:48:39 AM »
Tim Estrada 46
building a 1950 Dodge Pilothouse truck
PP/B
130 mph club
attending the World of Speed event in September
San Joaquin County, California

....wish me luck!   :cheers: 

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #1322 on: May 08, 2010, 08:53:23 AM »
Good luck Tim.

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Offline BIGHORN

« Reply #1323 on: May 10, 2010, 11:33:58 AM »
Hi,

My name is John Kelly. I started coming to the SCTA Bonneville meets in 2004.

I have a 250cc Triumph T25 (1969) and a 650cc Triumph T120 (1971) that I run in Production Pushrod classes.

I have been in and out of racing since age 14 (68 now) and I really enjoy the SCTA/BNI meets- it is like racing used to be; friendly people who are glad to share advice and help when needed.

We have a CPA Firm in Florida  but spend most of our time in Albuquerque.
John Kelly

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #1324 on: May 10, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
Welcome aboard John.

I hope to meet you in person at Speedweek.

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Offline agrassfidf

« Reply #1325 on: May 11, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »
Here goes. My name's Alex, and I've been riding or driving fast on some level since I was a kid. I started by fooling around with the B & S engine on my Danko when I was 12 so I could tear up the yard. It was spacious. So, I just recently started driving motorcycles on a consistent basis, meaning being licensed and owning a bike, so every bit of all this is new to me. I developed an interest in land speed racing after watching a documentary on the discovery channel, and I'm going to Speedweek this year. Anyhow, I hope one day to race my bike either at Speedweek or the BUB trials. If anyone has any suggestions, or commentary, or advice, or just wants to talk, let me know your thoughts. So far, everyone I have met has been super cool, and I'm very excited for this year. Hope to talk to all of you soon!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1326 on: May 11, 2010, 10:01:10 PM »
Welcome Alex, stop and talk while you are at Speedweek.  Make it to the salt talks and everyone will have time to chat... order a name tag from SSS, or just write your name on your forehead with a sharpy  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline agrassfidf

« Reply #1327 on: May 11, 2010, 10:14:34 PM »
Well, I guess I would definitely stand out with the Sharpie. But if I sweat, won't it rub off? I should probably just go with a tattoo... or maybe a hat. I'm super excited about going this year, and I'm hotly anticipating it, so I want to learn more even before I get there.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1328 on: May 11, 2010, 11:44:36 PM »
Hey Alex, good to have another MC guy. What kind of bike do you have? Where do you live? I will be at Speedweek and Salt talks so look me up.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline agrassfidf

« Reply #1329 on: May 12, 2010, 12:55:21 AM »
Fred,

I'm in Philly and I have a Rocket III, but a Softail or Street Glide is in the works, once I can break my indecision. Are you in Wendover during Speedweek? I waited too long, so I couldn't get anything. Are you racing this year?

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1330 on: May 12, 2010, 11:08:40 AM »
Definitely racing this year. Speedweek 1350 modified production, World of Speed might go back into Production and try and bump that record a little. :-D

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #1331 on: May 12, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
Alex, come on down to Maxton too. We're much closer and maybe you'll see something to help you choose. We've had a couple of Rockets, one blown and one stock, virtually every model of Harley since flatties and knuckles, and then there are the fast movers... The track records for bikes and cars was broken twice each last meet, this is going to be some season.

Offline agrassfidf

« Reply #1332 on: May 12, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »
Awesome. Do you have pictures? What did you start with?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1333 on: May 12, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
A-grass - if he doesn't have pictures ---  I betcha I do.  I'm working on a piece of pizza right now, so you've got time to tell what photo(s) in particular you want to see.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline agrassfidf

« Reply #1334 on: May 12, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »
Phit, I definitely want to make it to Maxton, but I might be pushing it with the old lady because it looks like I could be in bonneville for both bub and speedweek.

Slim, send me engine, full body shots?

I definitely need to figure out how I'm going to set up the Rocket, and Maxton would probably help.