Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3294321 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #960 on: March 19, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »
Wow, what a great location!  I've never seen that one - and I've heard Wisconsin referred to as many things over the years.  Super good welcome to you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #961 on: March 19, 2012, 11:43:21 AM »
So here I sit, in a no-man's land, dividing the UP and Illinois. 

History lesson.  If not for a pooly drawn map of Lake Erie, the Toledo War, and the enabling act, Chicago AND the Upper Peninsula would be in Wisconsin.

So to my friends in the "lost territories" -

:cheers: 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #962 on: March 19, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »
That history is true, but we would have given Chicago back.   :cheers:
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline Tman

« Reply #963 on: March 19, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
Fordboy628, welcome to the forum, and again, thanks for your time and interest.

You're looking for Microbrews, eh?  Ask Tman about my selections for out-of-towners - I'll always trade time/parts/conversation for beer.

If you spend a little more time on these forums, you will see some builds and projects that are so out of the ordinary, so varied, and just so darned interesting, you'll wonder why you haven't been here before.

We take cat skinning to the next level - we actually develop recipes.   :wink:

Yup, he knows his microbrews and Wisco has some of the best :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #964 on: March 20, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »
As I contemplate my last bottle of Sierra Nevada "Tumbler"  :cheers:, my navel lint and other issues of earth shattering importance, I am motivated to request a couple of bits of info on your build:

1]  What is the casting # of the cylinder head you are using?  Does it have the lower oil crossfeed passage?  Or does it have the upper oil crossfeed passage?  Whilst digging through a pile of BMC bits in the "garage" (or more correctly "the woodshop") tripped over a Cooper S 1098 bare head, casting #AEG163.  It has the smaller combustion chamber & bigger valves AND more importantly, the upper oil crossover passage.  Head is virgin.

2]  After tiring of contemplating the navel lint, I became desirous of knowing all the specs/sizes on your 45DCOE.  Is it possible for you to put together a listing?  Also tripped over A SINGLE 45DCOE ON MY SHELF (ITALIAN CASTING)!!  I am entertaining the idea of loaning it to you as a dyno alternate setup?  Any thoughts??  Also entertaining the idea of using what is known as "Split 45's" on this engine.  Do you have any knowledge of this debauchery?  It eliminates the gooseneck in the inlet manifold ports.  Is there room for this perversion in the engine compartment??  Your thoughts please.

Alas, my soldier of "Tumbler" has made the ultimate sacrifice. Must go to see if there is any Leinie or Point "Octoberfest" left in the "kegerator".  Just a personal insight, I'm in complete agreement that Wisconsin produces some of the best microbrews.   Am currently on a Leinie's arc right now, as their "Creamy Dark" & "Fireside Nut Brown" suit my tastes and are as close as my neighborhood Walmart.  Am also partial to 3 Floyds "Gumballhead" & "Robert the Bruce".  Have a bucket list goal though, of sampling at least one of every type brewed, before I travel to the next level.  Having a German brother-in-law is definitely an asset with this goal.

P.S.  Every Illini wants to give Chicago away!  And Springfield too!!  And shoot all the Governors, past, present & future!!!  And, and, and, and I need to calm down & check the "kegerator".  :-D

Best,
MB

Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #965 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
Block off one side of the cab. Them space them out so that the intakes are a straight shot.

Or you could use 1 3/4 or 2 inch SU with their self adjusting, load dependent, variable flow.

Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #966 on: March 20, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »
ALSO have at least one pair, maybe 2 pairs of 1.5" SU's, one pair might be thru-bores. AND all the needles, jets, springs, etc. to make them work.  And an MGB 1.5" alloy manifold that could be modified to suit.   2  1.5" SU's are as much as 1000cc of BMC can handle.  Probably best to sort existing set-up first & determine what horsepower output is being achieved.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #967 on: March 20, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »

Every now and then, you’re scoping out the Flea-Bay, and something comes up you just don’t expect.  You may not wind up buying it, but it might lead to a very enlightening conversation with the seller.

indeed, I see big things for little car...............................
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #968 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »
I would kill for some 3 Floyds right now!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #969 on: March 20, 2012, 11:12:39 PM »
I would kill for some 3 Floyds right now!

Just got off the phone with Fordboy628 - I think he just polished off the last bottle.  :evil:

Me?  The old Blue Ribbon stand-by.

Okay, needless to say, FB and I have had some very interesting conversations the last few days.  I'm not to speak of the Green Bay P******, so I'll simply post my Weber jettings.  

After 2 passes at Maxton and two pulls on the dyno, which indicated a A/F ratio of <10:1, this is what I uncovered -

So I dare say it's a bit rich.  Current settings are:

Emulsion tube  F2
Air corrector  180
Main jet        180
Chokes          36
Idle Jets        50 F2

What I have available are the following -

Emulsion          F18
Air Corrector    155
Main jets        190, 170, 160, 145
Idle jets          55F8
Chokes           38

114 octane - 30 degrees total advance.

I appreciate the idea on the dual Weber, and Don, if I do go down that path, I’ve got some manifold flanges, and would probably have Dick weld one up for me, but let’s see what happens this year – I’ve already got two manifolds to consider.

indeed, I see big things for little car...............................

Still some cipherin’ to do, Doc, and just some plain old race car fabrication.

Dropped off the steel at Skeeter's earlier today.  He is, of course, swamped, but the head restraints are closer to done than they would have been if I hadn’t sneaked out of work early today.

Gentlemen . . .  :cheers:

Yep Chris, you learn the dangedest thangs from the some stranges sources (eeek-bay)
Frank

Wisdom is where you find it.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #970 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
Yes, alas, it was my last bottle of Gumballhead after the last of the Tumbler. Will need to make a pilgramage to Binnie's Beverage Depot to restock the kegerator/bottleator!!  :wink:   Have discovered a wealth of BMC/Mowog info at the Mini-Cooper Register site.  Several pages under Forums>Mk1 Coopers>Mk1 Cars.  Sorry about the lack of a link, still learning to drive Windows7.  BUT, THERE IS EVEN A PHOTO OF A DRY SUMPED BMC F/Jr ENGINE.   8-)

Will start excavating for Weber jets/bits on the morrow, thanks for the list of what you have.  On the Ford based 1000 & 1100's, TWIN 40DCOE Webers are choked @ 33mm typically, with valves of 1.50" inlet/1.30" exhaust.  (40mm = 1.575)  I think your valve sizes are close.  My basic starting setup is throttle plate dia = inlet valve dia.  & starting choke sized @ 85% of valve dia.   45mm = 1.77" dia. but BMC feeds 2 ports Vs one for Ford, and one 40DCOE (40mm = 1.575" dia.) is probably too small.  Safe factor up @ 18/20%.    Ford starting choke is 86% (85% is where I normally start, & it ends up being right most of the time.  Ya think there's sumthin' to that cipherin' Clem?  :?) of throttle plate/valve dia. soooo 85% of 45mm is 38.2mm so 38mm chokes is the place to start.  :wink:

Normal main jetting for Fords is 130/135 and if I bump that by the increase in choke differential % then that = 1.55 mains and lets go fat at 165/160 & work down from there.  :-D   Should keep air correctors @ 180 (reasonable), same emulsion tubes for now, cause I don't want to suggest too many changes.  REALLY WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME BSFC #'s or some A/F ratio #'s OR at least some ExGas temp #'s to make some intelligent choices.  And it would really help to see the shape of the curve!! (no numbers = no brains, and yes I am an anti-creationist man of SCIENCE, but I digress.... :evil:)  I'll dig up what I think you'll need to sort the carb, & I'll check for some shorter air horns as well, to sub out after everything else is sorted.   :-)

Any idea when this dyno sorting session may occur?  Would like to plan in advance if a Bears fan wasn't risking life/limb to venture forth into the land of all things cheddar.   :|

MB

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #971 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:06 PM »

Any idea when this dyno sorting session may occur?  Would like to plan in advance if a Bears fan wasn't risking life/limb to venture forth into the land of all things cheddar.   :|

MB

Bears fan? - No problem.  Now if you're itchin' for a fight, I'll introduce you to my sister-in-law, who for reasons unclear to any of us is a Dallas Cowboys fan.

All of the Dallas Cowboys got on a bus.  Who gets to drive?  The Warden.

Here's what needs to happen.

1. Get the head back
2. Set up rockers/geometry
3. Install A/F gauge
4. Ensure I have the floats set properly

I'm at the mercy of others, but mid/late April is what I'm hoping.  Stay tuned.

When you get to BBD, check out Templeton Rye.  :wink:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #972 on: March 21, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
Fordboy, riddle me this.

I've got 3 exhaust ports.  Would I be wisest to install an exhaust temp gauge on the middle pipe, which would be an average of the two intake ports, or on the rear exhaust port, which typically runs hotter, in order to accommodate the worst-case scenario?  :?

And no, I'm not installing three.  I'm already plumbing an AF sensor downstream.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #973 on: March 21, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »
Midget,

Put the single probe in the #4 cylinder exhaust pipe, typically the hottest cylinder and worst case scenario.   That is the one that will melt first and probably the one you will have to tune for.    BUT, while you are welding bosses/bungs to the header tubes, weld up bosses on all three header tubes & fabricate 3 plugs to block off any/all.  This little bit of foresight allows you to check any cylinder should you need/choose to do so.   :-D   Gives you the opportunity to check all if you ever run on a SuperFlow dyno.

Now I'm wondering if you computer controller ignition is sophisticated enough to have separate total advance or separate curves for cylinder #'s 1/4  &  #'s 2/3 ???   This would allow more total timing on the stronger center cylinders and hopefully more total horsepower.   :wink:

Float level:  8mm (5/16") with carb @ the 3/5 degree factory recommended mounting angle.  Mounting angles outside of this range need float level compensation.  Put someone of your approx weight in the drivers seat.  Remove carb top & measure angle with an inclinometer.  Also, check to see if floor is level!!!!! Don't laugh I watched someone "adjust" his car in a garage 4 degrees off from level.  Guy could NOT understand how his car became worse "after he fixed it".

Dallas Cowboys??  What the heck?  Does she live in Texas?  Is she married to a Texan?  Does your family have a history of insanity or demonic possession???  I'd put a call out to Dr. Phil for an intervention.  Uhh, wait.....is Dr. Phil from.....Texas???   I feel your pain buddy.  I suggest ear plugs & barleywine, not necessarily in that order............     Never claimed to be a shrink................

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #974 on: March 22, 2012, 01:50:30 AM »
Remove carb top & measure angle with an inclinometer

Let me see if Robin brought his - all I have in my utility belt is my anti-gravitational bat beacon and a tuna sandwich that Alfred packed for me this morning.

Okay, Phil at APT called – he’ll be starting on the head tomorrow.  Plan is to press in new guides that will allow clearance for the valve retainers.  He’ll also level out the valve seat heights – they’re all over the place. 

The recommendation from them is stick with the valves I have.  We’d talked Rimflows, but the drawbacks are threefold.

1 – They’re heavier.

2 – They’ll sit higher in the seat and would require additional grinding of the valves or the head to take them down to where they would be sitting at the same depth as the ones I have now – and I’m already “valve-to-piston clearance challenged”.

3 – The ones I have are in great condition, well shaped, and they are paid for.

Well, okay, they’ve got the Rimflows in stock, but I’ll keep my $320.00, if that’s how they feel about it.

He’ll be checking the spring rate and phoning me back with that info.

Titanium spring retainers are being recommended.

Pulled the exhaust and header – out they go for bungs – probably this weekend.

Over and out.