Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3276250 times)

Offline Anvil*

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #630 on: October 08, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
Ahh, the XL - the perfect cross between a T-bird and an LTD.  I recall you could get one with a 429 and a 4-gear.  Good to see one racing.

Didn't Burt Reynolds drive one in "White Lightning"?

It's OK, it's just from owning things British and the few stints at trying to be a racer I've had some of the oddest things break or fall off. Sort of learning to prep a car through failures.

That XL was slow against the Chevys and Mustangs, running 5th at our best, but dead reliable. We would prep on Sundays so the next Saturday we would could unload, warm up, help pack the track, and then race our heat and the main. The dents would already be pounded out and all the colors from the last race wiped off with lacquer thinner, so it would be clean, white,  and straight each week. Some found this very annoying.  8-)

Though we would wander about the pits helping others thrash to get ready. The small block Camaros always seem to need straight pushrods and a stamped rocker replaced (the pushrod would punch through sometimes).

Burt drove a '71 Galaxie.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #631 on: October 08, 2011, 07:25:42 PM »
Not looking good - I've had just enough pops and farts to give me the smell of burnt racing gas - a motivator for sure - but still not running.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #632 on: October 08, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »
Pops and farts aren't bad. at least there is spark somewheres in there good luck. :-)
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline martysmilt

• New folks
« Reply #633 on: October 08, 2011, 09:08:42 PM »
Hi Chris,
We were at Bonniville till Thursday afternoon.  We fire slotted one of the heads on Monday morning.  Tore it down, found a great head repair shop in Oram Utah.  The guy running the shop used to work for Champion.  Three hours to Oram, Checked out both heads pulled the valves found some warped from heat.  Located and ordered valves from N.C..   Checked the hardness of the aluminum around the damage. Cut out the soft aluminum, welded up the head. Re-CC'd the bad chamber cut both heads 0.14" and got the engine back together Wednesday afternoon.  Thursday we finished with the intake manifold and made one run in the afternoon.  The silicone was not completly set and we had a bit O smoke in the car that afternoon so we packed it in b-4 we blew it to small bits.  John S ran 250.03 or there abouts.  His goal was that elusive AA licence.   He had a bit of car trouble developing so he quit b-4 it became problimatic at the track.  I think that Stan Johnson said he ran up against the max horsepower of the motor and then lost his pan drain plug.  John Rank was fighting a miss fire I don't think he had a good week.  As the saying goes "thats just one of them racing deals".  I was really sorry not to have seen you there.  Hope you get her sorted out.
Marty.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #634 on: October 08, 2011, 10:36:25 PM »
 :?

Computer readouts - the box is working - getting good signal from the sender.

Monkeyed around with the program;  + 8 degrees, - 8 degrees - something's GOT to at least pop.

I put a timing light on the front of the crank trigger and marked it into 4 quadrants.  180 degrees off?  Can't be - TDC - marked - threw in the stop plug and checked TDC one more time - spot on.

Coil pacs - Instructions say A to 1 and 4, B to 2 and 3 . . .

Wait a minute.

180 degrees out?  :roll:

Wasted spark dual output coil pacs?  :roll:

The coil pacs are wired opposite of what they're supposed to be!  :-o

Thanks, former owner on E-bay.  :-P

Swap the wires -

Stand back, Jackson - I've got a running engine on my hands!  :cheers:

If it weren't 9:30 at night, I'd finish the dial in.

For tonight, I'll settle for installing the radiator and the roll cage padding.

Whew . . .  :cheers:

Oh, and does this little dog have have a big, nasty bark!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:38:39 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #635 on: October 08, 2011, 11:01:23 PM »

:cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #636 on: October 08, 2011, 11:05:31 PM »

The hydrocarbon quartet, brother!

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #637 on: October 08, 2011, 11:57:13 PM »
Good job :cheers: :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #638 on: October 09, 2011, 02:08:09 AM »
Well, it’s 12:30, and I’ve been at it for 12 hours.  Looks like tune-and-test is a no-go for Sunday.

I’ve been trying to get a wrench on the bleeder valve for the clutch slave.  The new starter is in the way, along with the blow shield.  Looks like the easiest way of making this go will be to remove the slave, gravity bleed it, and then reinstall it.  I still need to dial in an appropriate advance curve, reinstall the top, change tires, top off the radiator.

I don’t have enough time to get it done and then make a one-and-one-half hour round trip to pick up the trailer, and then have any reasonable expectation of making another one hour trip to Union Grove to make some runs before 5:00 PM on Sunday.

Great Lakes Dragaway has one more TNT weekend before the end of the month.  That’s the weekend before Maxton.  I’ll set my sites on that, and if things look good, I’ll load the Midget and see ya’ll on the 28th at Maxton. 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #639 on: October 09, 2011, 02:52:45 AM »
Great to hear it's making Noise MM. Stay safe, have fun, and go really fast! :-o :-o :cheers:

Pete

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #640 on: October 09, 2011, 06:16:38 AM »
Well Done Chris!

Offline krusty

« Reply #641 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:14 AM »

Can you put a line on the clutch slave and make it a remote bleeder (after you've gotten in there in the first place)?  vic

PS: Dick Leuning has been racing MGBs since the dark ages (the seventies), when I also ran MCSCC in F/P.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #642 on: October 09, 2011, 09:41:52 AM »
Chris, sounds like you just made a HUGE leap. It runs. It really really runs.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #643 on: October 09, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
YIPPEE!!!!  IT'S A RACE CAR!!!!    :cheers:   :cheers:

Good luck,  congratulations,  stay safe, stay facing front, and....GO FAST!!!!

Don't forget to put a pickle in there with you!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #644 on: October 09, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »

I've got a running engine on my hands!

Yeah!