Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3276183 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #615 on: October 04, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »
Seek and ye shall find!  I posted this on Craig's list last night . . .

"Wanted - Needed ASAP - yoke for MG Midget transmission. Later model, with no cup, for 1275 engine - ribcase transmission.
 Will pick up, will pay cash."

. . . and dropped the new piece off at my driveshaft guy's shop this afternoon.  He hopes to be able to deliver the shaft by Friday.

So maybe I'm back on track.

The guy who sold me the yoke races Midgets at Blackhawk Farms, and I was able to ask a few questions that helped clear up a few issues.  Well worth taking the afternoon off.

Did I mention that it's 70 degrees and sunny?  :-D

Back to the garage . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #616 on: October 04, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »
Will Madam Midget be at the track to take some shots?......

You'll make the cut, sliding on your back as the roller door comes down......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #617 on: October 04, 2011, 06:40:07 PM »
Congrats! maybe you are rounding a corner?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #618 on: October 04, 2011, 07:04:27 PM »
Will Madam Midget be at the track to take some shots?......

Not sure - she has a writer's group that meets once a month, and she's pretty determined to not let one slip.  I'm not sure if it's this weekend, but if she DOES come along, there is a huge upside.

She will insist that we stop at the Mars Cheese Castle on the way home -

http://www.marscheese.com/default.asp?id=11174900184581497346864

Huge selection of cheeses, BUT, the best kept secret in Kenosha County is that they have a bar in the back, and they turn out some of the best darned Bloody Marys in the state.  So you sidle up to the bar, order up a cocktail, and THEN - they bring you this huge crock of cheese spread and a plate of crackers.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

That don't happen in Iowa, my friends.  :wink:

Congrats! maybe you are rounding a corner?

I think so - we'll keep you posted.

Troy, I'll be doing a little microbrew shopping . . . :wink:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #619 on: October 05, 2011, 12:00:17 AM »
Maybe I’m back on track.

Here’s the driveshaft and yoke I received from my supplier in Alabama.  All egged out – I sent it back.

I’ve had good luck with them in the past, but let’s face it, they’re a bone yard, and we’re talking about a part that’s 40 years old.  I’m sure the kid they sent out to grab it didn’t give the yoke a second thought.  I’ll get a “store credit”, and that’s fine – between the Midget and the MGB, I’ll get my money back out of it.

I also picked up a spare driveshaft and yoke from MG Limited here in Milwaukee.  I committed to it before the guy from Craig’s list called – for $30.00, it seemed stupid to back out on a deal where a spare might eventually come in handy.  I tried to get hold of them last week, but I suspect they were breaking down from the runoffs at Road America.  Dick Luening is the owner and has raced MGB’s for years.  Good family, serious racers, and experts on MG’s.

Here’s the rub . . .

Bottom standoff of the crank sensor bracket,  The plate is 3/8 thick aluminum, and the standoffs are 9/16 round, and seeing as there are three, and all this does is hold the sensor, I’m going to lose the third foot.  Pics to follow on Friday (?)

Finishing up the engine compartment . . .

And yes, my audio-wise friends, that IS a pair of Switchcraft XLR connectors. 

I needed a termination for a 2 wire shielded cable from my crank sensor, and I’m thinking to myself, “Gee, Chris, where on earth are you going to find a decent shielded 3-pin connector?”  How about the parts bin at work?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #620 on: October 06, 2011, 01:41:03 AM »
Well, the plumbing is done. 

The fuel pressure gauge reads what the regulator says it should, so either their both right or their both wrong.

Cooling hoses are in place with the exception of the radiator hoses, which will go in with the radiator after I get the crank trigger pickup in place.  I've got a couple of oddball bolts coming from Fastenal tomorrow for that, and with luck, the driveshaft will be done on Friday.

Seatbelts are back in, along with the seat.  Kate helped me get those adjusted.  Patience of a saint, that woman. 

Solenoids click when I throw the appropriate switches.

The top has taken a bit of a beating over the last year - up to the attic, back to the garage, out to the back yard.  A few nicks on the paint from just working around the car - typical.

Removed the old switch collar on the steering column - a bit more knee room, thankyouverymuch.

I forgot just how low this thing sits with an engine in it.

Let's see if it will set off the neighbor's car alarm on Saturday . . .  :evil:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #621 on: October 06, 2011, 06:53:23 AM »
Chris, looking good!

Good luck this weekend, and at Maxton!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #622 on: October 07, 2011, 12:31:37 AM »
Bolts from Fastenal – arrived.

Bracket for the crank trigger – modified, installed.

I might get tripped up on the driveshaft – I’ll know tomorrow.

Friday – after what promises to be an insufferably long day at work – I’m off to the hardware store with my list for the stupid shite I either can’t find, don’t have or am too lazy to look for.

Riddle me this – why is it that EVERY TIME you realize you need a #8 fine thread cap screw, you glance at the clock and suffer the bitter realization that the hardware store closes in 3 minutes?  Same thing with beer.  You pour back the last of your backwash, go down to the beer fridge, only to discover you’re out, it’s 8:57 PM, and the liquor store closes at 9:00?

Saturday – off to Pegasus to get some roll bar wrap.  Drive shaft or no drive shaft, I intend to make some noise Saturday afternoon. 

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #623 on: October 07, 2011, 01:07:58 PM »
Riddle me this – why is it that EVERY TIME you realize you need a #8 fine thread cap screw, you glance at the clock and suffer the bitter realization that the hardware store closes in 3 minutes?  Same thing with beer.  You pour back the last of your backwash, go down to the beer fridge, only to discover you're out, it's 8:57 PM, and the liquor store closes at 9:00?

Sounds like you're doing great, except for the inventory control problems.
Screws, you just need to get at least ten more than you need each time and get more if you use any of the last ten on something. Well that and a place to keep them. That's the easy bit.

Beer or ale... I would say the first problem is that it's backwash, but it may be your friends keep a more accurate inventory on your suds than you do. This is where they often offer to go fetch a couple. A "friend" can help and fetch until you're out then go find another place to be. Buying good ale only seems to compound this problem. You may also find they know about how much time will pass before you stock up again. You could try to move a portion of your stock into an ice chest when they call to come over and see what happens or even move all but two and ask they pick up more on the way if they call.

For yourself, you just need to keep at least two days of beer stocked at all times. Any number of natural disasters could occur and prevent a beer run. It's best to be prepaired at all times.  8-)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #624 on: October 07, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »

For yourself, you just need to keep at least two days of beer stocked at all times. Any number of natural disasters could occur and prevent a beer run. It's best to be prepaired at all times.  8-)

Best advice I've received on the boards to date.  Noted, and the beer is in the fridge for this evening and tomorrow afternoon.

Anvil* - The new avatar - is that a Torino?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #625 on: October 08, 2011, 02:22:59 AM »
Driveshaft – balanced, new U-joints – installed.

Shifter – in.

2.5 gallons of 110 octane racing fuel – and man, THERE’S a buzz you get with no other petrochemical – purchased and in the tank.

Crank trigger – one shim away – I’ll finish it Saturday.

Roll cage padding – purchased.

Cutting it close.

Offline martysmilt

• New folks
« Reply #626 on: October 08, 2011, 06:53:21 AM »
Though I rarely comment I thought that you should add that if asked when a project will finally be ready the answer should be "Saturday, Bring the Beer"

Riddle me this – why is it that EVERY TIME you realize you need a #8 fine thread cap screw, you glance at the clock and suffer the bitter realization that the hardware store closes in 3 minutes?  Same thing with beer.  You pour back the last of your backwash, go down to the beer fridge, only to discover you're out, it's 8:57 PM, and the liquor store closes at 9:00?

Sounds like you're doing great, except for the inventory control problems.
Screws, you just need to get at least ten more than you need each time and get more if you use any of the last ten on something. Well that and a place to keep them. That's the easy bit.

Beer or ale... I would say the first problem is that it's backwash, but it may be your friends keep a more accurate inventory on your suds than you do. This is where they often offer to go fetch a couple. A "friend" can help and fetch until you're out then go find another place to be. Buying good ale only seems to compound this problem. You may also find they know about how much time will pass before you stock up again. You could try to move a portion of your stock into an ice chest when they call to come over and see what happens or even move all but two and ask they pick up more on the way if they call.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #627 on: October 08, 2011, 10:42:52 AM »
Well, hey, neighbor!

Marty, I missed you guys and Stan Johnson's teams at SW - I got there on Wednesday and I think you both had already scooted out.

Regarding the beer inventory - I've got nobody to blame but myself on that account.

But this happened last year, too.  Mid thrash, I forgot to eat or, well, stay hydrated.  You leave for work at 7:00, get home at 5:30, grab dinner, and head to the garage.  Next thing you know, it's 1:00 in the morning.  Hit the rack and do it again.

It's kind of like being in the reserves, and this is my two weeks of active duty.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #628 on: October 08, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »
The new avatar - is that a Torino?

It's a Ford XL, basically an LTD with a different rear window treatment. Something I used to push around Santa Maria Speedway. Wimbledon white with Mercury blue racing stripes in case the Chevy fans were confused about it being a Ford.  8-)

My Bridgestone icon seemed to be missing from Landracing so I just replaced it.

Good to see your engine together and where it belongs. Just a little question. Is there more than one bolt on the crank trigger bracket? It looks like a second could be added up the arc if the tab was a bit longer. It's just I get nervous if there's just one offset bolt keeping a stationary thing from a rotating thing. My luck has always been really bad with those kinds of things.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #629 on: October 08, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
Ahh, the XL - the perfect cross between a T-bird and an LTD.  I recall you could get one with a 429 and a 4-gear.  Good to see one racing.

Didn't Burt Reynolds drive one in "White Lightning"?

Regarding the crank trigger - pic is bad - the clamp screw for the sender obscures the bracket cap nut.

Thanks for double checking - a mistake like that is something I could easily overlook until after I've put the radiator in and couldn't get at it as easily.